Need some feedback please...summit gold D6

Picked up a FREE one today.
Model: DO 0133289 P# 579001. 2005?
Listed on Facebook 2 weeks ago saying for parts and needs burners. I was the 3rd person to reply and never heard back. The guy replied back this morning with his address saying come get it. I actually kept my son home from school to help me load it. I'm so glad I did because this thing is heavy.
I'm not familiar with this grill. I have a newer Genesis and love it.
My goal was to fix it up and resell, but I think I might have a hard time doing that! I spent many hours today and still don't know what to do. It looks like the burners are fine. The ignitors look shot. The grill is very dirty and needs a good cleaning. Condition is great except the lower horizontal frame below the from doors is rusting.
The rotisserie is missing too.
1. Can oven cleaner be sprayed inside the entire grill and rinse out? (Covering burners with tinfoil)
2. What can I soak the grill grates in to clean them up?
3. Best way to fix rust on bottom frame?
4. Do I have everything? ( See pics) there are two things that look like they don't belong to grill.
5. Does the smoke box just lay loosely on the left side?
6. The flavorizer bars have surface rust. Should those be sanded and painted with high temp paint?
Thanks for any help and input. I'm looking forward to this project.
7. What would the resale value be if it's in good working condition?

I'll try to ask some of your question-

1. Yes, I use the HD Yellow can Oven Cleaner for my projects.
2. You could use the Oven Cleaner as well, just don't let the grates sit with the cleaner too long.
3.If the rust is not too bad you can lightly scrape and use some type of spray rust treatment. If it is more serious you might have to replace some pieces.
5. Usually it just "sits" on the frame with one 1/4" bolt to hold it down.
6.Just lightly scrape them. Under not circumstances paint them or anything on the inside of the cook box.
7.Prices vary by condition as well as location. Check craigslist to get a good idea what Weber's sell for in your area.

You can see a breakdown of your grill/parts here-
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/w...m-gas-grill-parts-c-193079_193087_193648.html

I'll check back to see your pictures.

Have fun,
Jeff

1. Can oven cleaner be sprayed inside the entire grill and rinse out? (Covering burners with tinfoil)
2. What can I soak the grill grates in to clean them up?
3. Best way to fix rust on bottom frame?
4. Do I have everything? ( See pics) there are two things that look like they don't belong to grill.
5. Does the smoke box just lay loosely on the left side?
6. The flavorizer bars have surface rust. Should those be sanded and painted with high temp paint?
Thanks for any help and input. I'm looking forward to this project.
7. What would the resale value be if it's in good working condition?

Hi Chris,

1. I would strip the cook box out to make access easy, take out the grates, flavorizors, and the burner tubes (you remove the manifold first) Then it is much easier to clean. Use oven cleaner if you wish. First though, after I had physically scraped as much of the crud/fat out of the cookbook as I could, I would take the flavorizers out, take the smoke box out, leave the grates in, and run all burners flat out for 20-30 minutes or so. A lot of the crud, especially on the grates will burn off.

2. After you do a high temp burn, most of the crud on the grates turns to white ash that scrapes off.

5. Yes the Smoke box sits above the smoker burner LHS.

6. The flavorizer bars are SS. Do NOT paint them with anything.

Nice unit.

Hi Chris,

Welcome to our forum! Posting pictures would help us better evaluate and offers suggestions. You need to use a web "picture hosting" site. I personally use tinypic.com but others here use Imgur.com. In exchange for free photo hosting, these sites will bombard you with ads, but it is just the way it is...You get set up on the one of your choice and then upload your pictures to them. You can resize to an appropriate size. Then you copy the link for "Forums and Message Board" into your post. When you post, your picture will appear.

Regarding your Summit Gold, I really like this grill - much better than the current version. There are some downsides, especially that the flavorizer bars are costly to replace because of their special design. The other issue is that the firebox is NOT all cast aluminum like the one on the smaller Genesis. It has porcelain plated steel parts including in the front where the burner tubes go in. Unfortunately, these are prone to rust-through which can ultimately spell the demise of your grill. Check it out carefully while you are doing all this clean-up. If OK, keep a close eye on it and try to keep the firebox from getting all crudded up holding moisture.

Stephen and Jeff gave you great advice on all points. See if you can sand down and retain the flavorizer bars. Replacing will turn your free grill into the beginning of a money drain. Still, it is a great grill and spending some money could well be worth it depending on how much you want to commit. If you hope to "flip" for profit this would be a definite downer. Most of the rest of the grill is stainless that will clean up with some good hard work and patience.

Thanks guys...im uploading them now. hopefully it wont be too much longer!

- - - Updated - - -

SRtqTQh.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

rsaC88T.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

zobMwoH.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

iVVrra7.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

eZKdaEP.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

hzdELv3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

OjP1Wu0.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DPuhRuf.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

at8Cvul.jpg

In the 4th picture are these 2 items part of this grill? not thinking so...

Neither of those two are Weber gas grill parts. The two guys on the left are Weber charcoal baskets from a kettle grill. The part on the right may be some sort of cooking surface to prevent flare-ups? Not sure, but not Weber as far as I know.

Hi Chris,

The crossover tubes between burners 1/2 and 3/4 are obviously missing/rotted. If you get a new set of igniters, get a set of 3 new tubes as well.

In Australia all the Summit Platinum Golds came with the SS rod grates. I suspect someone has changed them out as it looks like you have the SS stamped grates. They still cook fine.

I would take out the burner tubes, give them a clean out and check them for obvious rot. They are SS so usually clean up OK.

Other than it being filthy,(free ones usually are) and a little frame rust, well worth a restore, and looks in pretty good nick.

In the US they came with stamped grates. RCPlanebuyer makes an excellent set of grates for that grill. Very similar to the one I restored for my brother. You'll need flavorizer bars it seems as they have broken BUT if you're careful you may be able to get by without new ones. Pay attention to the front of the fire box. AFAIK Weber still makes that one and it may be under warranty (though Weber standing behind older Summits is chancy at best ask me how I know). If the person you got it from was the original owner maybe he can help with that. Worst case you may have to invest $200 to $300 but you'll have a very nice grill. As for the rust in the frame look through posts here re products from Eastwood.com They sell some very good products that convert and encapsulate rust (internal and external) to a very durable ceramic material that can than be painted. Worst case you may need to find a welder to help you weld in some new metal
Bottom line though, once fixed up and with new quality grates from RC you will have a top notch cooking machine. The IR burner looks to be intact so you should be able to find a new rotisserie for the machine and you'll have it all. Smoker, rotisserie you'll have yourself one FINE cooking machine and a jewel for your deck. I'll bet all in for less that $500 too

Yah, I don't think those two items are actually part of the grill. My biggest concern on that grill is that lower frame piece just under the doors. It looks rusted bad and probably needs to be completely replaced. What is the inside of the cabinet like? The rest of the grill otherwise looks workable.

The inside of cabinet is good. I ordered the Eastwood paint that was recommended. Also ordered crossover tubes, thermometer, and new igniters. I should be able to get it up and running after a couple days of TLC.
Thanks for the info from all!

Chris, it sounds like you have a great deal there. Just be wary of the frame rust. A lot of times, the worst of it is where it cannot be seen.

Yah, I don't think those two items are actually part of the grill. My biggest concern on that grill is that lower frame piece just under the doors. It looks rusted bad and probably needs to be completely replaced. What is the inside of the cabinet like? The rest of the grill otherwise looks workable.

I think the rusted black piece is not a frame cross-member but actually the bottom of the cabinet that includes this squared edge used for strength. This grill doesn’t have cross pieces according to the schematic. The painted steel bottom is pretty good for rusting. My Genesis Silver with an enclosed cart has the same setup and some of the same problem. At least the back and sides of the cart on this Summit are stainless.

Last edited:
Looking at the schematic on ereplacements.com I was pretty disappointed to see how many parts were no longer available. There are certainly other sources but it does give me more pause for consideration regarding these grills. They are more complicated and if you can’t get parts that could be trouble over the long run. I LOVE how these grills look, but it’s hard to not come back to the conclusion that two Genesis 1000’s will do even more and cost less. And parts are still easy, at least right now.

Just an FYI, but it's often kind of difficult to make money restoring and flipping a Summit. Things will get kind of pricey if you have to start replacing parts, and like it or not, it's difficult to find people who will shell out $400+ on a 15 year old grill no matter what the condition.

That said, before you get too far into ordering parts and spending money, I'd remove everything from the cook box as Stephen talked about, clean it up and give it a very close inspection. The front of the cookbox on Summits tend to rust/corrode where the burner tubes stick through.

The Flavorizer bars on Summits are much thicker than on Genny's, and it doesn't look like your's have thinned out much at all. Check the weld points where each bar lays across the center bar. If you are lucky, you won't have to replace them, just give them a good cleaning. IF all the bars are still thick and heavy, but one/some of the welds are broken, find someone local to tack weld them back.

The bottom panel should be available from Weber and they only charge $7 for shipping. I'd call and then compare their overall pricing with that of Ereplacements and ApplianceParts. Be sure to include the shipping costs in the comparison.

I know you are excited about it, but I really would slow down, take a real close look at everything on that Summit, figure out what must be replaced, how much it will cost, and decide whether it would be worth it. You could easily end up going in the hole really quick. Not trying to scare you away from it, just trying to watch your back for ya. :)

Back