The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rust in my Weber Smokey Mountain...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisABBQ View Post
    Then also heard Paming the unit will make for easier clean up. Thoughts tips appreciated!
    If you've got brand new, shiny cooking grates and want to make washing them after cooking easier, you can spray them with Pam before adding meat. But you don't need to spray the inside of the cooker with Pam and certainly not the outside!

If it were mine and the look of the nuts/bolts bothered me, I'm replace them with stainless. I'd buy new cooking grates. Give the outside porcelain surfaces a good cleaning with Simple Green and 0000 super fine steel wool. If the aluminum access door and knob are in good shape, I'd clean the outside with Barkeepers Friend, otherwise replace the door. Maybe replace the lid handle if it's shot. Then I'd build a nice hot fire to burn-out the inside, brush out everything, and just start cooking on it!

WSM Replacement Parts

I already replaced the screws and they were severely coated with the build up after a short smoke. I know the build up is a good to a degree. However after one cook it was rough. I figure painting them will allow me to at least get them off in the future. When I got the unit two were rusted shut/on, so I just want to make sure I can replace parts in the future if needed. And yeah, Pam for the inside only, to help with some clean up.

Absolutely what I am getting

TVWBB Gold Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I always thought the technical term for the stuff was...”Dookey”
    The combination of grease and airborne crud.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Spray painted the screws last night and really helped. Firing it back up Saturday for some ribs. See what happens. Definitely a lot of crud and build up if not cleaned will rust the bolts and screws. Gonna use less H20 also, one thing I learned from my first use.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisABBQ View Post
    Spray painted the screws last night and really helped. Firing it back up Saturday for some ribs. See what happens. Definitely a lot of crud and build up if not cleaned will rust the bolts and screws. Gonna use less H20 also, one thing I learned from my first use.
    To each his own...but I think you're overthinking the issue of rusted bolts and screws. It's gonna happen. It's unavoidable. They're exposed to high heat and moisture and acidity just through normal use and those things can't be avoided.

Remember this photo I posted earlier? That's a 21 year old screw and nut, still holding things together. It's never been removed because I've never had a need to remove it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12