Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (First Photo Post)

JPetermann

TVWBB Member
While this isn't my first cook on the new Performer, it's the only one where I took time to snap a few pics along the way. Picked up the new grill about a month ago and have since enjoyed several great meals (NY's, Bacon-wrapped jalapenos, fillets and diver scallops, and one heck of a fantastic Prime Rib over Easter). I've been meaning to sign up and begin sharing pics of each cook since I brought her home, but just didn't get it all together until now. The gumbo pics are sparse, but future cooks will be documented in much greater detail.

My new baby gettin' hot for me...;)

Untitled by Jeffrey Petermann, on Flickr

I've made gumbo many times over, but I wanted to "kick it up a notch" (as Emeril used to say) and incorporate the Weber and some hickory smoke this go-round. So...I decided to slow-roast a whole chicken and five thighs (all rubbed with Weber Cajun spice) using the Minion method (snake) as the basis to a homemade stock and a pile of juicy bird.

Livers from giblet bag as my mid-cook snack

Once the chicken was to temp, it was left under loose foil to rest inside and cool before adding the de-boned carcass, smoke-filled skin and neck bone to a pot with celery tops, garlic, onion, bay leaves, fresh thyme and cracked black to make one VERY rich and flavorful stock

While the stock simmered, I took time to prep a colorful Trinity, both sausages (Conecuh Hickory and Rouse's Andouille) and more ga'lick.

Sausage browned and renderings used in roux (should have taken pics of the deep, dark chocolate roux)

Final product topped w/ fresh thyme, parsely, green onions, cracked black, dash of Crystals and a little smoked paprika

Thanks for looking. ~jpetermann1900

Last edited:
I don’t know which is prettier, your cook or that new performer! The Gumbo looks and sounds delicious. Photos excellent as well.

Thanks, Cliff. Gumbo was tasty and I'm really enjoying the new Performer. She's a looker for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Much appreciated, Ed. More to come...

That's a pretty awesome first picture post!! I need to make some gumbo.....especially since I have some andouille I made in the freezer. Thanks for posting up the pictorial, Jeff (or do you go by Jeffrey?)

Dang, my "to-do" list is getting long! :)

R

Very much appreciated, Rich. Making andouille (and other sausages) is something that's been calling my name for awhile now. Do you have any posts on your andouille batches? I ran across one in some of the earlier pages that was quite informative. Might have been yours.

Thanks again, Jeff

Do you have any posts on your andouille batches?

I don't think that I've documented anything on andouille, but I'm pretty sure it was THIS POST by Cliff that got me kicked into gear to make some. I used THIS RECIPE, which is one of Michael Ruhlman's from "Charcuterie". Turned out really good, and is just screaming to be used in a good Cajun dish like gumbo!

Keep posting up your cooks, and enjoying that Performer!

R

I'm pretty sure it was THIS POST by Cliff that got me kicked into gear to make some.

Yes, sir! That's the one. Cliff's post was also what got me seriously thinking about making my own soon. Thanks for the link!

I used THIS RECIPE, which is one of Michael Ruhlman's from "Charcuterie". Turned out really good, and is just screaming to be used in a good Cajun dish like gumbo!

I haven't yet had a chance to review Michael's post, but I'm sure it's a great recipe.

There is no doubt much talent within this group. Happy to be a part of it.

Might possibly work up a cedar plank salmon cook this evening - stay tuned...

That is some great looking Gumbo Jeff and great pictures also. Adding Gumbo to my overflowing bucket list.

Man did you nail that one. Outstanding looking Gumbo.
Thank you, Barb!

That is some great looking Gumbo Jeff and great pictures also. Adding Gumbo to my overflowing bucket list.
Much appreciated, Rich!

I've always boiled the bird to make my stock, but after integrating the ol' Weber, I doubt I'll ever go back to the old routine. Can't beat the increased flavor profile from the added smoke on a good grill.

My bucket listing growing by the day and the members of this site have been instrumental in continually making the list longer.

Many thanks for the years of wisdom and grilled eye candy this forum offers up daily. It's time that I started contributing back those who have inspired me for so long.

Welcome! Nice cook, I'd sure like to copy it.

1uRatnB.gif

Back