My First Pork Butt Cook on a Kamado

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Boneless 5/lb butt, Oakridge Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken rub, sweet cherry and pecan wood for smoke.
Ran the cook like I do on a WSM, first 2 hours at 235°, bump up to 275° until done, total cook time was 8 hours.

Charcoal at start, and leftovers this morning.

It turned out great, no better, no worse than on a WSM.
It was 40° and windy, but had no effect on the cook. Temps locked in and stayed there.
The cook was fun and for me that's the main thing.
Chicken thighs tonight on the Performer.
Thanks for viewing!

Solid looking Slider Bob! I'm going to have to rethink my diffuser, it was an eye opener when I opened mine only to have it burst into flames. My right arm is hairless today, LOL

Perfect looking pork shoulder Bob. Love the low and slow approach to cooking PB's. It's practically all I use. The pulled shot is gorgeous as is your sandwich. Interesting to read that most aspects of your cook were no better or worse than a WSM. I would have thought the ceramic cookers would do better in the wind regarding holding temps.

That PP looks fantastic Bob and that sammie is something I could devour for sure.
I might look into a Kamado, we have so much wind here and it drives the mini nuts. Did bacon on it yesterday and the winds got up to 28 mph with gusts to 45 I was getting 50 degree swings.

Last edited:
Perfect looking pork shoulder Bob. Love the low and slow approach to cooking PB's. It's practically all I use. The pulled shot is gorgeous as is your sandwich. Interesting to read that most aspects of your cook were no better or worse than a WSM. I would have thought the ceramic cookers would do better in the wind regarding holding temps.
Thanks Cliff.
It did do better holding temps, my no better, no worse comment was about the quality of the finished product.

Bob, the pulled pork looks great, and I'm glad you're enjoying the new grill! Just out of curiosity, why do you start at 235* for the first 2 and then increase to 275*? I've always just went straight for 265-275 myself. Again, just curious as I'm always learning and tweaking from others on here.
Thanks,
Tim

Thanks Tim!
I go lower at the beginning to hopefully get more smoke on the meat.
No proof that it actually helps.

Bob, that is one awesome sammie. Just pass it this way. Your right Bob, he is talking crazy.;) NO is the answer.

Back