Salsa Verde - (Avocado & Tomatillo)

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
This is one of my favorite sauces, & I'm not sure where I first found the recipe a couple months ago, but it popped up in my fb feed from America's Test Kitchen, & I made it again today - this time with canned tomatillos. I couldn't tell the difference between canned & fresh but the sauces weren't side-by-side. The tomatillos certainly have a bright flavor though.

This stuff would be perfect on any kind of tacos, salsa for chips/nachos, or anything with a Mexican flair. The grocery store I went to today, they had a sad selection of peppers compared to normal - the pasillas & jalapenos had seen better days, but they had a big selection of shishi to peppers that I've had before so I got those.

ATK version:

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/episode/580-mexican-dinner-party - this sauce starts at 19:45

1 avocado
8 oz tomatillos
1/4 cup chopped cilantro, including stems
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 minced garlic clove
3/4 tsp salt

add everything to the food processor & process for 1 minute until smooth.

If you can't see the ATK version, this one from the food network looks very similar. There are others that add onion & other things, seems to be a very versatile & forgiving sauce.

Here's what it looked like on my chorizo & potato tacos:
30724989_10211851533105659_1878185539228663808_o.jpg

I made another batch of this tonight, this time instead of a half recipe & canned, I did a full recipe with fresh tomatillos. I also used 5 cloves of garlic, added a hab, and probably used a little more cilantro than it called for. The first taste that hit was piney/citrus from the habanero, then I think the grassy flavor came from the cilantro, or maybe it was the fresh tomatillos.

Before I made this batch, I tore into the last of the last batch & it looked & tasted as good as the day I made it. Pretty sure I used lime juice from a bottle last time, but it could've been fresh, this time i used bottled lime juice.

The hab added a perfect flavor, the heat was barely noticeable (I ate a small fresh piece)....until I rubbed my eye :). The garlic was strong but not overpowering, not sure if the flavors will change over time.

be careful - if you're like me, you might consider making tomatillo soup (the thought crossed my mind ;) )

Back