Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Weber Chimney Starter No Ash

I just use Diamond Strike-a-Fire Matches Match/Fire (strike on box) 1 at the bottom of the chimney will do.

I normally use the weber cubes or some other premade fire starter type. But for fun you can use 2 to 4 Doritos chips, they actually do work!

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I’m thinking the jalapeño ones?
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Side burner on my gas grill is quick and easy....

TVWBB Gold Member
    I have one Performer with gas ignition. On the other, I use the Weber starter cubes. I use an empty tuna can and one Weber cube (the tuna can, turned upside down puts the one cube higher up towards the charcoal in the chimney and you only need ONE cube). I've been doing that for years. It also works on my Jumbo Joe, etc.

Keep on smokin',
    Dale53
    Mini-Joe Gold, 14.5 WSM, 18.5 WSM, 2 Performers with Vortex, gasser (taking up space), SJS, JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Derrick View Post
    Side burner on my gas grill is quick and easy....
    Agreed!!! That works great.

Another great method is using a dollar store Chafing fuel(generic sterno). It has a wick in it that I pull out a little farther, light it and set the chimney over. Low smoke and no additional ash. $1 lights 15 or so chimneys and you can refill it if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by M Strickland View Post
    I absolutely LOVE my WSM and my other Weber grills! With the Minion Method, my WSM gives me incredibly steady temperature control.

The only thing I did not like was the floating newspaper ash left after using the Weber Chimney starter. I just didn't like it floating and blowing around.

I discovered a better way to start my coals in the chimney starter one day when I didn't have any newspaper. I grabbed a few feet of paper towels and used them instead of newspaper. Worked great, and there was no ash left from the paper towels!

About six feet of paper towels burns completely and does a great job!
    I get the free 'entertainer' rag from the local bowling alley. Just a paper with bar ads etc that gets tossed out after a week anyway. Use it to start the wood furnace as well.
    But when lighting the chimney for getting the smoker going, I always start it on the Weber Kettle, then transfer to the smoker. The ash never makes it out of the kettle

TVWBB Fan
    I used a propane torch for years and bought a electric cal-rod heater to use on my cowboy grill,works great,no chemicals to leave a flavor.Seen somebody has 1 out that looks like a blow dryer ,years ago matchlite but they had to be 1/2 burned down to get rid of most of the kerosene flavor

TVWBB Fan
    I started with the paper towels sprayed with Pam when I quit getting the paper.
    My new method is to use the left over bacon grease after I make bacon. I grab a few paper towels and ball then up and sop up some grease. Then I stash them in a Ziploc bag in the fridge until I need them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234