Thread: Screw size

Question Screw size

New guy here, working on my manifold valves. What thread size are those LITTLE screws that hold the stem of the valve to the body ? Propane, if it matters. Tried to search it out, but never really found a positive identification. Thanks.

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I posted a thread about this a while back.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?732...ghlight=thread

This was for a Genesis 1000. You'll probably have to special order them. I couldn't find them at Lowe's or Home depot.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Dustin, you beat me to that. I was just going to post that thread.

If you have a Fastenal in your area, you might want to look there.
    https://www.fastenal.com/products/de...0Screws%22%7C~
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

Those are WAY too big for the screws that hold the valves together

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    Those are WAY too big for the screws that hold the valves together
    The threads are right but you need to check the size of the head of the screw That fastenal screw might have the right threads but the head might not fit in the slot. The length is less critical as the threads come out of the bottom of the valve.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Larry, I think the picture in the Fastenal web page was a stock photo. The specs were correct for the screw.

Dustin: I believe the screw can be had with different head configurations as well. Fastenal makes a million different screws, so, like I said, visiting a store would be the way to go.
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

Mystery solved, at least for MY Summit 450. Saw a Utube video that showed someone doing the valves on what looked like a Summit 450, BUT, the screws looked like regular sized, and the valves looked like a black plastic body. Mine are all metal and the screw is WAY smaller. After a trip to the local hardware store, and looking through lots of bins, the winner ended up being, a 3mm size screw, metric thread, that a 2mm allen wrench fit. I went with a button head allen, lord how I hate phillips head screws. In the SAE section, I did find a 3-48 screw and a 4-40, but no 4-48.
    Last edited by Russ H.; 04-16-2018 at 02:03 PM.

So, you got a metric sized screw with metric threads to work???

I do think they are metric valves FWIW because the orifices are metric sized also

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    So, you got a metric sized screw with metric threads to work???
    Yes, like stated above, they felt nice going in, did not want to wreck the valves, new manifold shows $155. MY Summit 450 has quite small screws, compared to the unit in the utube video which clearly has larger screws and different looking valves. Guessing mine is older. Could not find a serial #, there is whats left of a label or tag on the rear of the right rear leg, but can not read anything off of it.
    Last edited by Russ H.; 04-16-2018 at 03:42 PM.