Screw size

Russ H.

New guy here, working on my manifold valves. What thread size are those LITTLE screws that hold the stem of the valve to the body ? Propane, if it matters. Tried to search it out, but never really found a positive identification. Thanks.

Those are WAY too big for the screws that hold the valves together

The threads are right but you need to check the size of the head of the screw That fastenal screw might have the right threads but the head might not fit in the slot. The length is less critical as the threads come out of the bottom of the valve.

Larry, I think the picture in the Fastenal web page was a stock photo. The specs were correct for the screw.

Dustin: I believe the screw can be had with different head configurations as well. Fastenal makes a million different screws, so, like I said, visiting a store would be the way to go.

Mystery solved, at least for MY Summit 450. Saw a Utube video that showed someone doing the valves on what looked like a Summit 450, BUT, the screws looked like regular sized, and the valves looked like a black plastic body. Mine are all metal and the screw is WAY smaller. After a trip to the local hardware store, and looking through lots of bins, the winner ended up being, a 3mm size screw, metric thread, that a 2mm allen wrench fit. I went with a button head allen, lord how I hate phillips head screws. In the SAE section, I did find a 3-48 screw and a 4-40, but no 4-48.

Last edited:
So, you got a metric sized screw with metric threads to work???

Yes, like stated above, they felt nice going in, did not want to wreck the valves, new manifold shows $155. MY Summit 450 has quite small screws, compared to the unit in the utube video which clearly has larger screws and different looking valves. Guessing mine is older. Could not find a serial #, there is whats left of a label or tag on the rear of the right rear leg, but can not read anything off of it.

Last edited:

Back