First cook - vortex wings

Mark B

TVWBB Pro
Finally getting closer to some Spring weather here, and starting to get things sorted. We got up to 9C today. Yay. (49F)

Replaced the regulator in the Performer, and the charcoal grate. Gave my new vortex a try - it was made semi-locally and at first I thought it was too tall, but it fit perfectly. ( I never measured, just used the measurements that Robert-R had posted here somewhere. I trust him. :D)

41458621361_05f9500b1c_k.jpg
[/URL]New vortex. on Flickr[/IMG]

The wings were seasoned in two batches. All had EVOO, S&P and granulated garlic. Half got some Weber KC bbq rub and finished with a Poblano and Lime bbq sauce. The other half was to be a bit spicy, so added some peri peri spice mix, some local Montreal steak spice, and finished with a Raspberry Chipotle sauce. Used Weber briquettes for the first time too.

Cooking with the vortex was really easy - and holy cow does it throw off the heat. The Performer is great for this, with the built in gas assist. Total cook time was 50 mins. I did flip half way thru, but I'm not sure it was necessary.

The wings were really good - nice crisp skin. At first I was disappointed with the spicy wings until I waited a minute or two, they have a sneaky heat.

41458632881_37cd0fabaa_k.jpg
[/URL]First batch of vortex wings. on Flickr[/IMG]

I can tell that this won't be the last batch of wings this year. Come to think of it, after the wings came off I could have done some tots too. Very happy with the results.

Thanks for looking, enjoy your weekend.

Back