Store bought mayo

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
The last two jars of best foods mayo have been questionable. I opened the last one about a month ago & the seal was questionable (I wondered if it was completely sealed) but I ate it anyway & lived.

About an hour ago I wanted to make some ranch dressing so I opened another jar that I couldn't have bought more than 2 months ago, its best by date was 5/2018, the seal seemed questionable, & the color seemed a little off. I had a taste just to be sure & it tasted off to me so down the drain it went. I'm going to have to switch brands.

I tried making my own mayo years ago without success, maybe it's time for me to try again?

Complain to Best Foods either by phone or email. Seriously do this.

Reputable companies care about their products. They will want the product code off the side for their quality control dept.

Send you coupons for free/dollars off your next purchase.

I had a bad bottle of unopened clamato juice (Motts). Got a coupon for a free any size and a couple of other coupons for $ off future purchases.

Complain to Best Foods either by phone or email. Seriously do this.

Reputable companies care about their products. They will want the product code off the side for their quality control dept.

Send you coupons for free/dollars off your next purchase.

I had a bad bottle of unopened clamato juice (Motts). Got a coupon for a free any size and a couple of other coupons for $ off future purchases.

I'm too lazy to do that!

I use Duke's, have been for years.

I'll give it a shot.

I made the 2nd recipe linked above - it came together real quick but I don't think I used enough egg yolk, it broke when I was trying to get the small remaining bit of oil that was in the upper level... it was going well so I'll try the stick blender again too. I think I'll try GR's recipe next.

Pammi is a Kraft mayo girl. I'm more of a mustard guy. Cheap yellow, brown, dijon, whole grain, creole, they're all in my fridge right now!

Never had a problem with best foods mayo before... I'd send in a complaint Clint, They take care of you and send you free coupons for future buys. That Wasibi mayo from TJ is good stuff to.

I tried Dukes (it cam in runner up in the ATK mayo taste test) honestly didn't like it nearly as much as Hellmans which I use pretty exclusively. Tried Kraft once never again tasted too weird and chemical to me

I went to the store & got another jar of best foods that I haven't opened yet - slim pickins in the brand choice at that store.

I also gave homemade another try - i did the stick blender method (link below the video) again. This time I used 2 egg yolks & 1 cup evoo. It was way too thick/heavy so I added another 1/3 cup of evoo, still too heavy & thick so I added another cup of oil, but it just broke & got runny like a watery dressing. I added another egg yolk but no difference,,,,,,down the drain it went.

Gordon Ramsey's (vid above) recipe is next.

I finally had success w/ home made.

I tried Gordon Ramsay's version, except I was out of or didn't see any dijon mustard (used the last of it in my other 2 batches), no grey poupon (I don't lie), so I used a mix of regular French's yellow mustard and Chinese hot mustard :). No fresh lemons so I used lemon juice out of a plastic bottle. I ran out of my regular (costco) evoo, so I used some that I got from the grocery store (just couldn't bring myself to grab a bottle of vegetable oil - wesson, crisco, what?

Anyway, it worked, it's yellow & it tastes strong of olives & hot mustard :)

................maybe I'll try aioli next :)

If I try the stick blender method again I'll wait to add the salt until the whole thing's emulsified. It was easy in the food processor.

I have to cut back on calories and Mayo is one of the things scratched from the shopping list (wine is the first thing that goes in the shopping cart, all additional items are as needed) :)
When buying Mayo, I always bought Best Foods and never had an issue. Makes me wonder if yours is being tampered with? I could see a disgruntled supermarket employee breaking the seal before shelving items...

I use Best Foods mayo for things like tuna salad.
For spreads I like QP mayo (Japanese mayo) and always keep a large squeeze jar of that in the fridge.

Back