Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Store bought mayo

TVWBB Olympian
    When I buy things I check the lids before getting them. Amazing the amount of loose lids on things.

TVWBB Emerald Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George Curtis View Post
    When I buy things I check the lids before getting them. Amazing the amount of loose lids on things.
    AND expiry dates.

AND go to the back of the shelf. Sometimes as much as 6-7 months difference.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

I tried Dukes (it cam in runner up in the ATK mayo taste test) honestly didn't like it nearly as much as Hellmans which I use pretty exclusively. Tried Kraft once never again tasted too weird and chemical to me

I went to the store & got another jar of best foods that I haven't opened yet - slim pickins in the brand choice at that store.

I also gave homemade another try - i did the stick blender method (link below the video) again. This time I used 2 egg yolks & 1 cup evoo. It was way too thick/heavy so I added another 1/3 cup of evoo, still too heavy & thick so I added another cup of oil, but it just broke & got runny like a watery dressing. I added another egg yolk but no difference,,,,,,down the drain it went.

Gordon Ramsey's (vid above) recipe is next.

Quote Originally Posted by cliff bartlett View Post
    best foods is all we've bought for years. We go through a lot of mayo and have never had a problem with that brand.
    x2.

18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker

I finally had success w/ home made.

I tried Gordon Ramsay's version, except I was out of or didn't see any dijon mustard (used the last of it in my other 2 batches), no grey poupon (I don't lie), so I used a mix of regular French's yellow mustard and Chinese hot mustard . No fresh lemons so I used lemon juice out of a plastic bottle. I ran out of my regular (costco) evoo, so I used some that I got from the grocery store (just couldn't bring myself to grab a bottle of vegetable oil - wesson, crisco, what?

Anyway, it worked, it's yellow & it tastes strong of olives & hot mustard

................maybe I'll try aioli next

If I try the stick blender method again I'll wait to add the salt until the whole thing's emulsified. It was easy in the food processor.

I have to cut back on calories and Mayo is one of the things scratched from the shopping list (wine is the first thing that goes in the shopping cart, all additional items are as needed)
    When buying Mayo, I always bought Best Foods and never had an issue. Makes me wonder if yours is being tampered with? I could see a disgruntled supermarket employee breaking the seal before shelving items...
    85 78

TVWBB All-Star
    I use Best Foods mayo for things like tuna salad.
    For spreads I like QP mayo (Japanese mayo) and always keep a large squeeze jar of that in the fridge.
    Grills, smokers, bicycles, telescopes, & etc...

TVWBB Fan
    JFG family here some things have to have mayo ,not sure what the distribution range for it is but try it you may like it ,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12