Gasser newbie looking for thoughts....

Bill in NOLA

Hi folks, mainly charcoal guy here. I am good on kettles and wsm's, but i'm considering a gasser for those quick cooks for myself and wifey. I'd love to find an old genesis X000 like my dad had, but honestly he was cooking for 7+, and i'm kinda single. Also, i'm good with changing out components, but have zero tools nor the skills to use them when it comes to metal repair/refab. Looking on CL, i'm finding it a bit hard to manage all of the models/years/side controls/front controls/quality/price/points of concern. I've read a lot of the old threads here and hope that i'm starting to get some understanding.

Here are three on my local CL. I'd like for y'all to comment with any thoughts on these that you may have. Identity, year, pics, price, questions to ask.....anything really. Keep in mind that i haven't seen any of these in person, and i'm not in a rush. This is an exercise for me to learn more from smarter people before i jump in and make a mistake, ok?

Here we go.....

#1 https://neworleans.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-gas-grill/6535165460.html

#2 https://neworleans.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-silver-series-natural/6549172869.html

#3 https://neworleans.craigslist.org/app/d/weber-spirit-grill/6556270085.html

Lemme know what y'all think!

Bill,

Welcome to the forum!

I would definitely go with the second one. The first one is a Spirit grill as they transitioned from the classic Weber design to the newer ones. It has some of the underpinnings of the old Genesis, but it is covered with cheap trim, doors, etc., at least in my opinion. The third grill is a newer model Spirit with the front burner controls. These actually get some good reviews from outside sources, but not nearly as solid as the older #2 grill. I would be a little wary of "not working".

#2 would be a fun project and looks like a solid base to work from. The new burners and stainless flavorizer bars hopefully mean no need to replace the most commonly worn-out parts saving you in rehab cost.

Let us know how your search progresses. If you are only using the gas grill for "quick cooks" and obviously have access to great charcoal cookers for BBQ, why not consider a Weber Q? There are usually tons of these for sale at a good price. Super simple to clean and maintain, minimal flare-ups and all aluminum and plastic construction means there is almost nothing to rust out. I suspect New Orleans is as hard on grills as South Florida:(!

Thanks, Jon. Yeah, i've seen those Q's, but the look doesn't really do anything for me. I guess i like the classic looks... Also, can you use a roti with the Q's?

#2 is the one i figured would get the nod. Is that a Silver A? 2 burner? Any idea of the year? Any issue getting parts or pieces? Is the price ok? (i understand that can be location and buyer dependent, of course.)

Bill, All three of those grills have their merits. Clearly #1 is price but I can almost guarantee that you will find a horror story if you open the cabinet doors and look inside, #2 like Jon said is probably your best value with replaced parts and reasonable price and #3 is easily the newest, but maybe not the best overall quality and functionally.

I would go with #2 like Jon says. A new igniter is about $12 at home depot and other stores and easy to replace. I cannot tell for sure if it is a Silver A (2 burner) or silver B (3 burner). But it is one of the two. I would go look at it. If the burners, flavorizer bars and cooking grate is in good condition and the grill fires up and burns nicely, then I would say $75 is a good deal. BUT!!!! That sucker has been sitting on CL for almost two full weeks in prime time grilling season. I think the guy would take a $50 bill, surely $60.

And just as I finish writing this and take one last look at the #2 grill, I see that it is a Natural Gas grill. If that is what you are looking for....great, but if you are looking for propane, then I would move on. Converting it isn't a super easy task, but can be done....contact Larry (LMicheals) if you want to purse that avenue.

My next option would probably be #3....I am sure that #1 is a horror story inside. He has had it up for 5 days, offer $100 if you want to go that route. Otherwise, just take a little time and find a good Silver A or Silver B or a gensis 500 or 1000 for under $25 and put a little effort into it and you can have a prime grilling machine for $100 or so...much better than any of the three you posted.

If you wait and want a little project, it isn't that hard to have a fabulous grill for under $100. This is my personal grill that I bought and rehabbed and it cost me less than $100. I have since bought premium Flavorizer Bars and cooking grates for it, but it originally was fully functional for less than $100.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71283-Bruce-s-Genesis-Red-Head-1000-Restore-Before-amp-After

There are several build threads on this forum that are very similar to mine. It can be done. Just have patience waiting for that curb side pickup grill to hit CL.

Thank you so much for that reply, Bruce. And Jon! Exactly what i was hoping for. I liked the side controls (older model, higher quality?) on #1 and the price, but was concerned with the cabinets. #2 is a Genesis model, which is what i think i want, but NG and no grate pics...i have no idea of price/value, but it works. #3 assumed easy fix, but highest price (not out of the budget at all) but looks like the newer, (maybe lower quality?) models.

I'm not in a hurry, and have only started my search and was hoping for a bit of confirmation on what i'm looking at and for as i go through the process. I figure if i budget $2-300, and i'm willing to drive a bit, i know i can find a great addition to my Weber family! And it'll probably outlast most any $400 new gasser.

This helps me get a better idea of whether i want to try to rehab an older one or buy one someone else has put some love into.

The 2 burner with controls in the front seems kinda scary. Says it worked prior to moving and now doesn't? Claims easy fix but what? Very leery of people who put stuff like that in an ad. If it's so easy to fix why didn't you rather than sell it?
#2 The Genesis Silver could be the sleeper. Definitely the most versatile grill there. You can do so much with that older 3 burner design. I have about the same one. Paid $20 for it. Gave it a quick cleaning and converted it to LP from NG and it's my go to nasty weather machine. They get HOT and FAST, yet with careful burner manipulation you can get down low/slow and even do some passable smoking. You can but a rotisserie and do some yummy things like that too. I'm quite sure that's a 3 burner judging by the spatial relationship of hood size in the photo. NG? I'm not so sure.
The 2 burner side control grill looks like a disaster IMO. Notice the doors not level on the cabinet. I am sure it's a rust bucket
All the best!

Thanks, Jon. Yeah, i've seen those Q's, but the look doesn't really do anything for me. I guess i like the classic looks... Also, can you use a roti with the Q's?

#2 is the one i figured would get the nod. Is that a Silver A? 2 burner? Any idea of the year? Any issue getting parts or pieces? Is the price ok? (i understand that can be location and buyer dependent, of course.)

Well, yeah, the Qs are very different. I suppose a take it or leave it kind of thing. I personally like the style and LOVE grilling with my Q3200. :weberq3000:I previously owned a Q200 :weberq: which was also a great grill that I decided to give to a friend to help him out. They are wonderful for straight-up grilling. Not so great for low temp and definitely NOT usable for rotisseries.

It sounds like a Genesis like #2:genesissilver: is what you need. I like that one. Looks like maybe a 2004 model. Hard to tell if it is a 2 or 3 burner. Even if 2 it is still a really nice grill, especially if you are expecting to use it for just for a couple people. Parts are readily available for Genesis Silvers, both from Weber and aftermarket. When you pick one out, feel free to solicit advice here for good sources. You will get some helpful cost-savings ideas.

I agree with several of the others that #2 is your best bet. The other 2 are spirits i think which are pretty good grills but somewhat lower quality than the genesis line.

Based on what you said you wanted in your original post I would think a 2 burner genesis silver A would be perfect for you. We love ours. We got it free and spent about $100 on flavorizors and grates to make it like new.

When you look at grills look for extensive frame rust. A little rust is easy to fix extensive is not. Also make sure the firebox isn't warped. That isn't common but can happen and that's almost impossible to fix.

Good luck. Let us know what you get.

I hope yall chime in, 'cause i've already reached out to the guy...ready to make a second 6 hr roundtrip drive to the beach to get a Weber.

Please help an outta control OCD weber geek off the ledge. ;)

Last edited:
I wouldn't drive 6 hours for that grill unless it was free. Gas and my time considered of course. Wait for a closer deal. Download the app offerup, and nextdoor and daily search for webers. offerup tends to have far superior deals than craigslist.

Last edited:
If you can break up the drive, go for it. 6 hours for a $100 grill plus 40 in gas and .xx per mile on vehicle. thats all i am saying. If you love it, go get it for $60!!!

Certainly true! With that statement, I'm kind of assuming the internals will have to be replaced entirely. Still, the model and style is exactly what i had in mind, being green is the cherry on top. The condition looks passable and short of the bottom being rusted out, i think the price is reasonable to me,, especially if its a side trip while visiting friends in Mobile. But i guess that would depend on the costs to replace the internals? What would be the estimate to place from regulator to flame? Any ideas?

Bill: That is a great grill, but I dont know if I would be driving six hours for it. Let me tell you a couple key points about it. It has a beautiful green hood, it looks to be in good shape overall to include the durawood slats. It looks complete and the grates look used but very usable. Also, the grill has the slide support for the swing table which is not real common and DEFINITELY desireable.
Some things to look out for if you decide to drive out there.
1. Look for frame rust, particularly on the left side of the cook box where the cook box is bolted to the frame. That tends to rust out.
2. Check the Z brackets on the swing shelf and other shelves for rust. Another part that tends to rust on some grills.
3. The frame down by the Wheels (particularly the caster wheels) tends to rust from water getting trapped inside the frame.
4. Look for bowing in the cook box (warping).
5. While the grates look good, we cant see the flavorizer bars. If you have to replace them, not a big deal.
6. The burner tubes. It sounds like there is a problem with the grill getting up to temp. It could be corroded burner tubes with plugged up holes. But, it could be several other things as well. It could be a bad regulator, again, that is a $15 problem is all. But commonly, these grills tend to have issues with heating up due to the way people turn them on. What you want to do is turn the burner knobs off, turn the propane tank off and the let it set for a few minutes. Then turn the propane tank on very slowly. Once it is open, then turn on the burners and light it. If the current owner is turning the tank off without turning off the burners, that will result in limited gas flow as the regulator is detecting a leak. So, burners off, tank off, wait a few minutes, tank on SLOWLY, then burners on, then light.
If that doesn't solve the problem, it could be the manifold or orifices are plugged up. Or the burners are plugged up.

Thanks, guys! Such great information!

Thoughts on this?

https://pensacola.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-grill/6561100629.html

I love it!!! Just popped up on the pensacola CL. And i drove to pensacola and back yesterday to pick up a 22 wsm! I could be making a return trip. Any ideas on getting that in a 09 Subaru Outback?!?

Check out the third picture. Focus in on the left of the firebox, between the side cap of the lid and the first slat of the side table. That looks to be some pretty serious frame rust.

As to the question of a 6 hour drive, and more generally, finding a grill. It's a cost/benefit analysis that only you can really answer. For example, say this grill had absolutely no problems and only needed new grates and flavorizer bars. Presuming that this is a "forever grill" for you, and that you are inclined to go with value over cash flow, bars and grates are going to run you at least $120 but probably more if you go with really nice grates. So right off the bat, you are looking at $220, PLUS the cost of your gas, PLUS your time, which while "free", still has value.

This doesn't take into account the other miscellaneous costs that you will have. X dollars for degreaser/cleaner, X dollars for primer and/or paint. X dollars for a grinder brush (absolute life saver). That one says that it didn't heat up quickly. That could be user error, a clog in the line somewhere (that could be cleaned out), or it might mean you need a new regulator. So, factor in at least another $30 - $50. Now you're up to $250 to $280 in cash, plus the gas, plus your time.

Personally, I'd pass on it. Set up an account on CL, do a search for "Weber|Webber|Grill|BBQ", check the box for "search titles only", set your search area for whatever driving distance you are comfortable with and then save the search. Check the box to receive notifications.

Than, as Shaun said, grab the Offerup app (as well as Letgo) and setup searches and notifications there as well. Lastly, if on Facebook, check out the Marketplace and request notifications there as well.

thanks for the link, Shaun. And all of the information on what to look for, Bruce, especially the bit about the lighting. He returned my text, but there is another local interested party. I'll stand down for the moment.

And Dave, that makes perfect sense, and is exactly what i'll do.

Thanks all!!!

Last edited:

Back