First post, my unexpected scores!!!

Shaun Murphy

TVWBB Member
Hey all, I look forward to the community here on TVWBB.

I was bidding for jobs Thursday for a customer who is selling their home. Some small talk after the walk-through to cement the relationship, I asked what they were doing with the grill under the covered deck. They had not used it in 4 years, so said if I could take it that day, it was mine for $50. Keep in mind it was still under the Weber cover.

So I asked if I could take a look at it and if it was a Weber or just an old cover. Fast forward, and under the cover is a 2005 Summit Platinum 6 burner natural gas! It is really hard for me to contain my excitement when you find a steal like that but I zipped up my jacket around my neck (to not show the swollen jugular vein), and inspected the grill. I asked to make sure all burners worked and found the $10 igniter switch to be broken. Lit every burner with a long lighter and everything fired right up. told them I would take it if the 10" hose and quick disconnects were included, they obliged.
Grabbed my neighbor and brought it home. Just needed a good cleaning and the new igniter. Got my favorite canvas cover from Bass Pro, $49. The covers are amazing and last 5-7 years before the top wears thin enough to rip.

XKYILkd.jpg

2phmzZM.jpg

QiHsoK5.jpg

559LGQz.jpg

Also, picked up this Genesis silver (not sure on the model yet, or what it is missing) that needs the box repainted, with propane tank for AND a weber 22" Premium kettle for $20 at a yard sale.

rZSNozA.jpg

zt0xpiF.jpg

5IEbsB2.jpg

See you guys around!!!

Last edited:
Shaun,

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a pretty big week!

You will hear this a lot about the Summits: Be sure to carefully inspect the front of the firebox where the burner tubes go in. It is made of porcelain plated steel and not cast aluminum. This area has a great propensity to rust-through. Eventually, the grill is no longer safe to use unless repaired. Hopefully, yours is OK, but do take a hard look.

To post pictures you need to use a photo sharing website. There are many of them. I use TinyPic.com and I believe some other here us Imgur. They are going to assault you with ads, but you can freely post your pictures to their site and then copy and paste the links they create into your posts here. You will want to re-size the picture to something appropriate for a message board.

Look forward to seeing some pictures and what you do with these great finds!

That is a genesis silver A and it doesn't have it's flavorizer bars. I wouldn't try to use it until you get them in. You can light it up, but don't cook on it. The cooking grates look a bit rough, but if you can get the rust off and clean them up, they might be salvageable. Then some good cleaning and new Flavorizer bars and you are set.

That Summit looks beautiful and if that front stainless steel plate that Jon mentioned is in good shape...you got a HUGE deal there. HUGE!

Welcome to the group. I have a feeling we will be seeing more of you (the Good Doctor) here.

OK that's enough. I think you need to be debriefed by a priest here (or at least make a confession). Some people find a way to fall into a pile of excrement and come out smelling like a rose!

Nicely done. The Silver A is a great little grill. That was the first rehab I did.

Good Doctor: After relooking at the photo, It does look like they are in there. When I first looked at it, I thought I was seeing the bare burner tubes, but it does look like the Flavorizer bars after looking closely. I am sure they are the correct ones. If they are still intact (not rusted through) then that is a plus. They can be rusty and grimy, but just not have holes.

hahaha, I have a silver A that has 4 pieces of angle iron for flavorizer bars. It too was one of my first grills. It was a bit too far gone to rehab, so, I just use it as is....and it works good. I took it up north with me last summer to a cabin on a lake. While it isn't considered portable, it was easy to transport. We used it every day. Buffalo Chicken wings, Steaks, burgers, chicken breasts, etc... I really should just part the grill out, but I find it hard to do. What I really need is a Q200 to take to the cabin this year.

Hi Shaun,
the Summit Platinum 6 is the pinnacle of that series, especially for the SS frame and sides.
Absolutely a keeper.

No, not really, it isn't a big deal. But I would be willing to get it out of his way for $60, maybe $75 with a full tank of propane :)

Hi Shaun,
the Summit Platinum 6 is the pinnacle of that series, especially for the SS frame and sides.
Absolutely a keeper.

Yes! You got the best one! What a great score! Take reasonable care of it and you will have an awesome griller and perfect rotisserie machine for years to come.

Thanks Stephen.
My father in law has a very old Ducane. We have spoken about replacing it for a while but decent grills with rotisserie and side burners are out of his price range. Now, he will have more grilling space and a near new grill to finish him out, so to speak.

Bruce, Natural gas, or I would have given you that deal without hesitation!

Thanks Jon!

Anyone know if the silver A had an optional swing out table? not sure what the latch is on the front left leg but seems like it has something to do with a swing out table

on second thought, Jon, Ill trade you this grill for your fence of grills!

Now that is a trade that would make my wife very happy;)!

You have a home-run winner! When you first posted without the pictures I expected it would be another rusted out current edition. (Like the hulk in my backyard.) I have no experience with the first generation Summits, and i know they are revered. But, I like the 2nd generation you just got very much. I think it comes off as a "stretch" version of the classic Genesis. With the platinum feature stainless steel frame and stainless cart pieces, it is probably the closest Weber came to making a life-time grill besides the Vieluxe for multiples of $ more. Just keep an eye on the front of that firebox and try to keep the rust monster at bay. Everything else is solid. If you can pick up a rotisserie for that model I am sure it will be a hit!

Good Doctor: That is a great rotisseri and a score. I scored one with a Genesis I picked up two weeks ago. The grill was $20 and the rotisserie came with it. Mine is slightly used. You got an even better deal I think. It should be a lot of fun learning how to cook with it. I have the #9891 Weber Roto as well. It is the basket style. You could probably sell that roto on ebay for at least $75 right now. Maybe more....but don't. Rotisserie cooking on a Genesis is awesome.

no plans to sell any of it. Father in law loves to rotisserie so having a brand new one that fits this grill is awesome. I personally am loving the basket style baskets. Until today, I had never seen them!

The rotisserie was probably NIB due to it not fitting the Silver A as the grooves in the rod are too far apart.

Nice score all around though. That Summit, WOW !!!

Back