Ya think he may read this group?

Larry,

I think $250 is very fair for a really nice Genesis with stainless rod grates (even if not rcplanebuyer top of the line). When you add to that the uniqueness of the Skyline hood, for the right person (someone like me;)) it is a rather good deal.

That is a perfect time-warp as he describes. Mine is going to be a little bit "custom" but hopefully also attractive. I am glad my in-laws retired from suburban Chicago to down here in FL. Otherwise, I would be sorely tempted to somehow finagle them getting that grill!

I am looking at a 2-burner version that has been languishing (fortunately) on OfferUp. You don't see Skylines in Florida very often. The "offerer" has Weber spelled with 2 B's :rolleyes: so that probably isn't helping him! Asking $30. Dirty but looks complete. The 2-burner is very austere and doesn't have the interesting wire condiment rack.

2wda5fn.jpg

Last edited:
Original posted grill: I think that guy will be able to get $250 for that grill. Especially in Chicago.

On the 2 burner: If that hood is in good shape, I would grab that grill. Offer him $20, I bet he jumps on it.

See I am not one to gush over the graphic so $250 to me is steep for it in the unrestored condition it's in. But hey that's me

Oh, yah, duh, I assumed it was completely rehabbed. I guess the guy just cleaned it up a little and is selling it. It may be pretty clean inside, but I notice there are no pictures inside the firebox and none of the flavo bars, and I have found that it usually means they are trying to hide something.

$250 seems a little steep. But what else could you get for that price that would even approach that grill in quality.

When I rehabbed my Dad's old genesis 1000 I think I spent about $350 in parts and materials.

I guess since it was "Dad's old Genesis" it makes sense. But I would never drop $350 into an old Genesis 1000. I would buy one for under $50 that was structurally sound and then clean it up and replace the internals as needed. Even if you replaced the igniter and bought RCPlanebuyer flavorizer bars and SS grates, you should still be well under $350.

I think there are several points in favor of this grill:

(1.) It is a bit of a time warp if it has been "climate control" stored for years as he claims. It certainly doesn't look like it has been left outside in Chicago winters.
(2.) The novelty and historical value of the Skyline hood, especially since his appears to be in excellent shape with no apparent fading. Obviously, this is very much a personal preference thing. I am sure Larry and many others would rather have a red hood, but these are my absolute favorites;)! I admit that part of my grill addiction stems from my collectoritis (coins, old toys, die cast cars:rolleyes:...). So, a really nice Skyline appeals to that part of me. I also think the unique "condiment rack/tool holder" is a neat touch. Probably some wouldn't agree, but at least it is different while still being original Weber.
(3.) Very nice stainless bar grate.
(4.) 13 bar original design. Looking at the one picture, I think the flavorizer bars look pretty good. Can't say for sure they are stainless from the picture, but he says they are, so I will take him at his word.

So, while not a TOTAL RENOVATION by our rather high standards, it looks to me to be an unusual grill in excellent condition not needing a complete tear-down and rebuild. I think it is very fairly priced and that he should be able to get his $. He probably would throw in the cover as a free bonus;).

Yah, we all have preferences and some are looking at the grill strictly as a buy and flip situation and others are looking more with a "hey, that would look great on my deck" situation. Those two views tend to have very different outcomes.

Anyway, if you are going to with ultimate preference, give me the skyline logo in a Silver/Grey on Blue 3 burner hood and I am in. hahaha, I doubt that combo exists, but it would be my ultimate Genesis/Silver B.

I guess since it was "Dad's old Genesis" it makes sense. But I would never drop $350 into an old Genesis 1000. I would buy one for under $50 that was structurally sound and then clean it up and replace the internals as needed. Even if you replaced the igniter and bought RCPlanebuyer flavorizer bars and SS grates, you should still be well under $350.

Yes $350 is a lot. But it has sentimental value. And it just added up fast. I did the rcplanebuyer grates and flavorizors and if I remember right that was well over $200 right there. Then assorted other parts including burners and new durawood side and swing up tables.

If I'd gone with cheaper parts and gone with wood side tables i could have probably gotten a functional grill for $100.

It's an "old" genesis but it looks and performs like new. Even at $350 it's better than anything new i could have gotten at that price. So I consider it a good deal all the way around.

I look at them mostly as "tools". The logo doesn't mean anything to me. So that's my take on it and so I'm thinkin $150 tops. But hey if the logo trips your trigger who am I to argue LOL

Nah it's not the logo for me at all. I've not ever had a grill that approaches the quality of my two old webers. And I've owned a lot of grills in my lifetime.

Well, this grill is obviously the same as any other Genesis 1000 of similar condition with the same quality of grates and flavorizers.

However, I have noticed how many of our members gush over "redheads" (which I also like very much). Some others seem to long for one with a blue hood (also a cool option). And crazy me, I like black hoods and especially this unique "Chicago" version. Probably because of my grad school and early work days there and because I met my wife there. (And no doubt because of good times in old Comiskey Park and some in Wrigley Field, too!)

Anyway, I personally think of the construction and style of grills as being an important part of their overall appeal. A Weber grill, especially a classic one, means something because of that Weber logo. And then with that in hand a red hood or a blue one or a Skyline one can elevate the desirability of one Weber grill over another even though both are functionally the same. Some people ARE willing to pay a little extra for that. At least I hope so because I want to flip some!

No Chicago graphics would make a big box store China container NexBroilCharWhatevergrill appeal that much to me, however.

Yes $350 is a lot. But it has sentimental value. And it just added up fast. I did the rcplanebuyer grates and flavorizors and if I remember right that was well over $200 right there. Then assorted other parts including burners and new durawood side and swing up tables.

If I'd gone with cheaper parts and gone with wood side tables i could have probably gotten a functional grill for $100.

It's an "old" genesis but it looks and performs like new. Even at $350 it's better than anything new i could have gotten at that price. So I consider it a good deal all the way around.

True.
Did you buy your RCPLanebuyer grates and bars off ebay or did you contact him direct. I got my bars last year and I think they were $66.00 shipped and the grates I just got for $131, so $197 total. I put a new set of tubes in it for $13.00 and I made my own wood shelf slats for about $10. I can't remember how much the grill cost me, but it was for sure less than $50.00. Total cost was probably about $250 for me (aside from my time and effort). It is a first year 1993 Genesis 1000. (I think that was the first year of the 1000-5000 lineup).

I bought my rcplanebuyer grates and flavorizors off of ebay. It's been over 2 years but I think that's about what I paid. Maybe a little more. I spent the extra $$ on mine on the durawood. I actually like the real wood better but I wanted low maintenance.

I consider it money well spent. The last 2 1/2 years with my 2 webers are the most trouble free grilling I've ever had.

I meant the Skyline logo BTW. That is the logo that really doen't trip my trigger. If it was there it's like ok cool but if not I could care less. IT does not improve the performance. Hence it's "just a tool" comment. I go outta my way to find older Webers (which I have always considered some of the finest tools you can buy) but I would not give a plugged nickle for 2011 and later. Per my "tool" theory here is how I look at them.
When I started twisting wrenches for a living, Snap On was top of the line, with Matco, and a couple others off the tool trucks right up there. Just not as fancy. Where Snap On tools were things of beauty the Matco was tough and just as functional but the rougher black oxide finish just was not as pretty. Than there was Craftsmen. At the time (late 60's and very early 70's) these were tough as nails tools made in the USA and high quality all the way. Just not to the finish quality you saw on a Snap On or even a Matco
Now like what Weber has done, Sears has sold the Craftsmen name and they have become not even as good as what you find at Harbor Freight. So Weber has become the Craftsmen version to me. But like tools I will still buy old collections that have old Craftsmen tools because while not the fanciest or the prestige of Snap On they're still darn good. But if you wrenched professionally there was no "shame" in having a chest full of Craftsmen tools
Best analogy I could come up with

Larry I definitely agree with you regarding craftsman tools. I have a lot of them. I think the newer ones are ok but they definitely aren't any better than most of the run of the mill brands out there. The old hand tools and power tools just last forever. Like weber grills.

I have a craftsman jigsaw that was gifted to me by a great uncle years ago. It's probably 50 or 60 years old? It's been used hard over its lifespan too. I had to use it last summer to cut a bunch of lattice for my deck. Worked perfectly.

So sad to see what's happening with Sears. They are closing the Sears store in my city this month. I think if Sears had just scaled back and concentrated on their tool, appliances and lawn and garden products they could have made it. Probably too late for that now.

Larry,

Good analogy regarding tools. And, yes, Sears unfortunately went down the same road that Weber is - losing reputation and now viability itself. I agree with Greg's operating plan for them, especially if they would have tried to promote as much "Made in USA" stuff as they could. Unfortunately, it is too late for them. The damage is already done. I wish I could be a Snap-On tool owner, but I am an accountant and rank amateur with tools, so I am tailor made for Craftsman. But, I have to say that the last time I bought a set of screwdrivers, the Stanley "FatMax" seemed to be of much better quality and more comfortable grips compared to Craftsman, so I went with that.

As far as grills, I still feel a grill is a lot more than just a tool. If that's all it is then find a classic Genesis with a badly faded, dented, ugly hood for the cheapest price possible. Grills, though, I think are more like cars. We try to emphasize the quality of manufacturing, engine, features, etc. But, who is kidding who: many cars are sold mostly on style. I think that is fine as long as you choose a good manufacturer and model. Why not enjoy how your car LOOKS, too! So, an ugly but sound old Genesis 1000 will certainly cook as well as this guy's Skyline. If I were shopping for a ready to go grill (not likely) would I choose a very boring run of the mill $150 Genesis or this Skyline? For me, the extra $100 would be worth it. That doesn't mean I would pay way above fair value, but I WOULD pay for something extra special for my own personal use.

Only a little of this applies to buying and flipping. This grill would be a POOR choice for that. HE is the one essentially trying to "flip" his barn find. For flipping for profit, the $30 filthy 2 burner Skyline I posted above would be a much better hope - especially if I could get it for $20 as Bruce recommends. You clean it all up, judiciously replace what needs to be and sell it on its merits as a unique "Chicago Skyline" grill. I think if done right it would actually have more resale value then the same 2-burner regular Genesis with a plain black hood. I feel the same about the brick red one you posted. It is also worth more because of that unique color. The market may be narrow for someone to appreciate either of these, but I don't think I am the only one.

Yah, I still like my Craftsman tools. I have a lot of their wrenches and use them a lot. I have taken a couple back that were broken and gotten replacements under the lifetime warranty. That being said, the only ones that I ever actually paid retail for are a set of 3/8" and 1/4" sockets that my son got me for Christmas about 15 years ago and then I bought a set of SAE and metric combination wrenches on a Black Friday sale. All my others I picked up at garage sales or auctions piece meal. I bought a 1/2" socket wrench that was broken at an auction for $3.00. I took it to the local Sears home store and exchanged it for another one. Our full size Sears store closed about 5 or 6 years ago. I have found them all to be very durable. I have pipes that I use as leverage extensions for the Craftsman socket wrenches and breaker bars and have yet to break one by over torquing it.

But, I agree, Craftsman has pretty much gone the path of Weber. And, I think they have even dialed back their lifetime warranty quite a bit in the recent years. It is the way most companies are going. I bought my 2013 Silverado with a 3 yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and a 5 yr/100,000 mile power train warranty. Now, they only get a 5yr/60,000 powertrain warranty. And yes, some of them are made in Mexico.

The grill being a "tool" has more to do with the Skyline logo does nothing for me and I would not go outta my way to grab it or pay more for it. But no I don't want a dented lid, chipped and rusting porcelain, etc. I still want something that looks decent (though I must admit I don't have the time or inclination to keep my grills detailed like some here do). I keep them decently clean and functional and bout it. An occasional wipe down with a some Windex and a cloth is usually about all I do (though this year will be different). I intend to dismantle the Wolf, I got a quote for stainless grates from RC, and the Wolf will be my "go to". I am thinking the Summit may just go away as right now the 2nd fire box is decent in shape but showing "signs" so I may steal the grates from it, install them in my $20 Genesis and use the CI ones in the Summit to sell it and pay for the new Wolf grates.
I still have my Q220 red head too.
Re, tools Bruce. Having been a pro wrench at one time in my life I still have some of my Snap On and Matco tools, along with some older Crapsman. But have you been to a Harbor Freight and looked at some of what they sell? I'll tell ya it's pretty top shelf stuff. I am quite impressed

Back