Thread: Image preservation on dated threads

Image preservation on dated threads

Hi. I occasionally search and look at dated posts. On those where Photobucket and other third party storage sites were used where, clicking on the image placeholders do not show the images, am I correct in assuming there is no workaround for viewing them? Thx.

TVWBB Super Fan Vincent Carrocci's Avatar
    While this is something that Chris may want to address, I also administer a vBulletin based forum site and feel like I can chime in. When someone links an image file to a post on the forum from a 3rd party site such as Photobucket, etc., there is no way for the forum site to retain that image if it is deleted from the 3rd party site. It will just show the image placeholder as you described above. The only way to assure preservation of any image posted on the forum site would be for the image to also be hosted on the forum site. Sadly, that isn't feasible due to the huge amount of server space required to host all of the images that get posted to a busy forum like this one.

It sucks but that's about all that can be done.
    Rhythm 'n QUE - All WSMs . . . All The Time

I appreciate your feedback. I'm inclined to believe it would require only a small fraction amount of storage to retain images, assuming it's possible for this, or any BB to automatically resize images to a resolution that is acceptable for viewing on a monitor. While that opens another can of worms and would require its own storage space, I must say that this site is invaluable and highly-respected. My only regret is not being able to see images, sometimes.

TVWBB Super Fan Vincent Carrocci's Avatar
    It isn't just the server space but also the time necessary to manually download, resize and upload each image and then manually edit every existing image URL with the new on site image URL in every post that contains images. It just isn't a feasible proposition.
    Rhythm 'n QUE - All WSMs . . . All The Time

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    It's not deleted. Just pm Chris and he'll adjust the link so the pic shows. The process was discovered (and posted) in a previous thread.

PM him with a link to the thread and he'll correct the link.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :