Newbie with my latest find/project and a question...

Kyle Cox

New member, long time guest and kettle owner here. I picked up this 2002 kettle last night for $25. She's seen better days but she's mostly whole and included the rotisserie ring/space sans rotisserie. I was tossing around shelling out the buck-50 for the kit for my 2014 kettle but this gets me half way there. The other half is on order now.
nfRDZV.jpg

66yLAG.jpg

So any way, here's what I'm working with. I sprayed the sweep hardware (rusted solid) with PB Blaster and let it sit but the handle bent before the nut moved.. Thinking I need to try to cut it out/off without damaging the bowl.
UD8Ypo.jpg

Any pointers/suggestions?

Welcome.
Looks like you got a decent deal there :)
You might have to drill out that nut, but maybe try soaking it in coca cola before (you might have to wet a cloth with it and keep it around the nut. Can't put the whole kettle in the coke)
Good luck!

Are you replacing the sweep ? If so you can just cut the lever off at the shaft. Then just punch it out. Otherwise you need to soak it a very long time or use a torch to heat things up big time to loosen things up.

I might just as well replace it. I haven't had one off before. So, if you cut the shaft off at the nut, you can punch it through into the bowl? That washer looks like it's in contact with the bowl. Or do you mean from the inside out? Thanks.

A little update on the new rotisserie rig. Cut out the old rusted sweep and started cleaning up the kettle. Used the dawn overnight soak and this stripping tool from Lowes.
Ctpisr.jpg

bAIXKE.jpg

It was a bargain for $9. I used it to scrape the grease buildup from my other kettle and it worked great.
Cleaned up pretty nice.
tEkilX.jpg

UFqsj2.jpg

2XEASx.jpg

Looking Good! Hopefully you can get a new sweep set for less than an arm & a leg;)! That will make a great cooker.

Finish the cleaning up by soaking the inside with oven cleaner and then scrub it with ss wool. Can get that at food service stores or at lowes.

I picked up a replacement set of sweeps for $14.99 from Amazon, I had started a tear down on the grill at my sister in law’s cottage, could not find the parts there so, I got them when I got back and she installed the new ones when she went up.
Easy replacement, get it cleaned up, install the new sweepers, set the roti ring on and get spinnng!

Back