Bbq Cart

I would open up the edge a little, what are you going to finish it with? It’s not always about burning the wood but blistering or burning the finish too.
You will be happy with the extra space for working, there is never enough room.

Last edited:
Well after one coat of Spar Urethane on, I’ll add another in the morning. After a light sanding.

https://imgur.com/gallery/****i

I would open up the edge a little, what are you going to finish it with? It’s not always about burning the wood but blistering or burning the finish too.
You will be happy with the extra space for working, there is never enough room.

The top half of kettle is only touching in 4 spots. I did not stain the inside of circle.

Polyurethane is not designed for grilling kettle temperature, be careful. If it’s touching, it’s going to get hot. I’ve seen the aftermath, cut it back half an inch. Please don’t ruin your construction because of a half an inch trimming. It will only take ten minutes to get safer clearance. Trust me, your patience will be rewarded.

Polyurethane is not designed for grilling kettle temperature, be careful. If it’s touching, it’s going to get hot. I’ve seen the aftermath, cut it back half an inch. Please don’t ruin your construction because of a half an inch trimming. It will only take ten minutes to get safer clearance. Trust me, your patience will be rewarded.
Trim wood or trim the stain from Grill?

Trim wood! Just mark out about 1/2-1” from the kettle you will be fine. I just don’t want to see the table ending up damaged when the prevention can be so simple.
I just gave my avatar grill table a coat of tung oil while the sun was out and fairly warm earlier today, we might get some snow on Monday, I hope they are wrong but, prevention....

I agree that you might want to do the trimming. The minimum temperature needed to ignite wood is 180 degrees Celsius or 356 degrees Fahrenheit, it is depending on time as well. Could take as little as 15 minutes to catch fire.

Not a lot of contact on the heads of those lag bolts, I did the support on my 18” with Stanley corner brackets, the end slips right under the rolled lip of the kettle and gives about 3/4” of contact at each bracket. They matched the relief of the handle perfectly but, that was purely by chance, I will admit.

It won’t fall down through hole if that’s what your referring. I need to clear one little area and I will have 3/8-1/2 inch clearance all around. I may cut another half inch so bottom of lip has sturdy contact. Thxs for the help

I was just thinking a twenty pound turkey sitting on the fully engaged kettle of charcoal isn’t going to have much support just sitting on the small points of contact that I see on the lag heads maybe I’m just not seeing it in proper light. If you’re happy it makes no difference what anyone else says.
Get it fired up and feed the family!

Back