"Smoke Seasonings"

Gaaron G

A light hearted question from a nooby. During my lurking here I came across (I think a few different times) the idea that using "smoked" anything, like smoked sea salt or smoked paprika, is "cheating" or taboo or not authentic in some way. Is this how everyone views it? My thought is, if its cheating then there must be some advantage to it;). Maybe all the competition guys do it. It would seem like for the guys who just don't get enough of the smoky flavor that they are looking for that using it would make sense. Is there a health component? Is it synthetic smoke. I thought I read somewhere that most of the products use real smoke that has been distilled, condensed, standardized, then applied.

I'll confess. The last brisket I did I wanted to put some paprika on it as part of the rub for color. Unbeknownst to me we had run out of the regular and only had some "Smoked Paprika". I used a little bit of it...:eek:.

Please don't kick me out!

What's the real scoop?

You'll have to wait for the seasoned smokers to chime in but I have not read that it is taboo to make use of smoked seasonings. I know I've watched at least a couple Steven Raichlen episodes where he has used smoked ingredients, including smoked paprika. I have used smoked paprika when smoking pecans. You are smart to ask this here rather than on Facebook, lol.

Smoked products are perfectly within the realm of useable ingredients! Smoked paprika has a totally different flavor profile than sweet or hot Hungarian paprika (or Californian). Smoked salts, why not. Liquid smoke, sure!
My dad used to make an amazing oven pulled pork after he moved away from his various outdoor cooking equipment. Slow baked and basted with butter and liquid smoke. I look at most of those products as the means to an end, not all are things that I might use but, if they help you discover more expansive flavor horizons, why not!

If you want it, do it!

A lot of times I don't feel like getting the smoker set up in the dead of winter when I get a hankering for ribs. I'll do them in the exact same manner in the oven (rub, temps) BUT I'll spread on a little liquid smoke along with the mustard base.

Not enough to overpower the meat but just enough so that I'll know it's there.

Some people even use margarine in their sauces. Can you imagine ;) ?

There isn't anything that is taboo where eatin' is concerned.

I'm gonna chime in against it. I hate rubs with smoke flavor added. I don't like liquid smoke in BBQ sauces. They are fine, I guess, if you are grilling. However, if I'm going to take the time to smoke something and for a long time, I want to taste my smoke!

When time permits, I agree. My father’s oven pulled pork was pretty darned good back in the old days though, he couldn’t smoke, equipment shortage. There are “aids” then there’s something else, sometimes things need augmentation. I prefer honest addition of smoke but, done with a little care and a light touch, the additives can provide a decent product.

I used to be much more of a purist than I am today. Back then I wanted to adhere to some kind of BBQ purity standard that never really existed. I almost never sauced anything. It was smoke and nothing but smoke (and rub).

Now I care a lot more about turning out something that tastes really good and that people enjoy. The two aren't mutually exclusive, but I do a lot more with sauces then I used to. I make a pulled chicken that literally depends on the sauce to make it work.

Liquid Smoke might be pushing the envelope when you're going to the trouble of really smoking something, but I wouldn't be at all concerned about using smoked paprika or ground chipotle in my rub. If that's what you've got, use it.

Nothing against Liquid Smoke, BTW. I use it regularly when I'm cooking indoors. Just not as part of something I'm going to smoke over real wood.

Exactly my feeling on liquid smoke, when you can’t use real smoke and are pressed to use the oven instead of the smoker, it isn’t exactly the same but, I’ve had some pretty good pulled pork from the oven using it.
I’m nowhere near the purist many others here claim but, I understand the points of view. As long as everybody eats and is happy, I’m not too overly concerned about strict rules of barbecue anymore...within reason.

Awesome guys, thanks for the responses. That's what I was feeling, if it tastes good, eat it. But I understand the purist point of view too, like Dustin's. It all seems to come back to taste.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about what I like to use. I don't care if other people use it. I was also talking about smoking something. If I'm cooking indoors, I don't have a problem with smoked paprika, chipotle, etc. Liquid smoke, I'm still not big on, but whatever.

Smoked salts are a “finishing” flavor, smoked paprika is a distinctive flavor unto itself, liquid smoke...well, that has its own place. The rest are real ingredients, not, “hacks” or “crutches” to be specific.
They are not intended to take the place of the smoking anything.
I think we are all good Dustin, at least you and I are fine. Just send brisket! :D

I'm becoming more of a purist in terms of rubs, often using just salt, fresh ground pepper and granulated garlic for smoked foods. That being said, I wouldn't look down on anyone for using "smoked" ingredients in their rubs or sauces. Personally, I like to use them to bring a smoky flavor to foods that I can't or wouldn't cook on my WSM. For example, I use applewood-smoked bacon, smoked paprika and canned chipotle peppers (smoke-dried jalapenos) in my go-to chili recipe. They add that little special something that gets people scratching their heads to try an identify the flavor. Just enough background smoke and heat to make folks sit up an take notice.

Back