Indirect grate here

MKEvenson

TVWBB Wizard
I am new to the q. Wanted to try ribs with low / indirect heat. I found a device, rack, that seems to work pretty well.

Stands 1.5in above Weber grate, 7in wide and 19.25in long. Made of ceramic, good for up tp 700F per Sur la table. PRICY

at $39.

Using low heat and water with foil under the rack , second half of cook, all went well. Temp from Weber hood therm was about 350F during the 2 hr cook. Direct temp of the outside of the ribs was 250-300F.

Now lets see if I can post a pic?

Mark

guess not, can't remember which share choice to copy?

IT WORKED, only 3rd try!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pretty interesting add-on. Where did you get if from?

Ribs look really good. How did they turn out?

I guess I have always felt my Q was an awesome grilling machine and that I would leave low-heat BBQ to my kettle, but if you don't have one this might be a good way to expand the flexibility of the Q.

Thanks for sharing!

Jon, I got it at Sur La Table. Higher end cooking store here in town. They may have a web site. I foiled for 1 hr after that pic. The ribs were DELICIOUS.
Thanks for your comment.

Mark

Photo just showed up. I do something VERY similar. I have a small(ish) broiler pan from a counter top toaster oven. I use a raised rack over that and use liquid in the pan. Cost is free since the toaster oven had long before given up the ghost

Yah, I would not have tried to indirect cook on a Q. That is interesting. Is it a Q1xx or Q2xx?

I have my Genesis 1000 and will just continue to use that for slow and indirect cooks, but that looks like a very workable setup for a Q.

Yah, I would not have tried to indirect cook on a Q. That is interesting. Is it a Q1xx or Q2xx?

I have my Genesis 1000 and will just continue to use that for slow and indirect cooks, but that looks like a very workable setup for a Q.

q2200.

Mark

Phil Perrin from Australia years ago posted a how to on using the Q’s indirect. I believe he gave Weber demonstrations there about using Q’s. He, and the “Fire Escape Griller” on YouTube use the indirect method frequently with great results that I have incorporated into my Q use.

Phil Perrin from Australia years ago posted a how to on using the Q’s indirect. I believe he gave Weber demonstrations there about using Q’s. He, and the “Fire Escape Griller” on YouTube use the indirect method frequently with great results that I have incorporated into my Q use.
Tom,
His name is Phil, but it's Phil Hartcher.

Tom, in doing my research, I found those videos. Just shows " there ain't much new out there".

Mark

Back