I am so done with grilled pork loins and pork loin chops

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Tonight I tried to add some flavor to a couple of thick loin chops, marinated in a mix of Wickers, Italian dressing, and a little Worcestershire. I've tried brining them too.

Here's the problem, I can cook them to perfection, 130/135 before the rest, slight pink center, and they're still kind of dry and no real pork flavor.
I used my kamado running at 400F to see if that helped, no dice.

Yes, I can spice them up, or stuff them with something, but I want some pork flavor!
I know it's due mainly to the breeding of lean hogs these days, so I'll move on without pork loins in my life.

I hear ya, Bob. "Factory" pork is pretty tasteless stuff! If you can find someone near you who is butchering or raising "artisinal" breeds, that's the way to go. My local butcher has Kurubota pork that he butchers in house, and it is porky goodness on the plate!

These guys anywhere near you?? http://www.bolyardsmeat.com/

R

Thanks for the link Rich, it's about 15 minutes from here, never knew about this place.
Their website looks a little wonky to me, but worth checking out in person.

Hey, cool! I just did a random search in St Louis, funny it's not too far from you. Curious to hear what you find if you check it out, Bob.

R

Bob, I noticed you cook at 400F. I was never a fan for high heat (fast) grilling except for dogs and bratwurst. IMO, it also burns off (evaporates) the juices faster.

I cook my pork like I do for thick steak...a couple minutes of searing grill lines and off to the side for indirect cooking.

I have no experience with the quality of pork in the states, so take this for what it's worth ;)
Why don't you try bone on pork? Personally, I think pork neck chops are one of the nicer cuts

To be clear, I'm only talking about loins and loin chops, not rib chops (AKA ribeye chop)

Bill,
I should have been more clear, i seared them at 400, and finished lower.
Reverse sear doesn't work for me either, nor low and slow.

Anne,
I think member Mildo cooks what he calls pork steaks cut from the neck and they look wonderful, but I've never ran across them here.

I struggle with pork chops cooked over charcoal, the best I've been able to get them to cook is on the Genny at extreme heat (hot as she'll go) cook time is < 5 mins. They're OK. I think you just can't beat fried pork chops. That's my favorite, but my bride won't go for that. She's mean

I’ve gotten tired of that section of the pig too, it’s the American demand for homogenized, purified, leaner, tasteless, products. We are being groomed for soylent green!
When you are lucky enough to get pork that tastes like something (other than whatever it’s been overly sauced in) reminiscent of pig is a day of joy!
The boneless loins which are perpetually on sale, well, every other week, need so much work to have anything other than just the flavor of “the other white meat” it gets frustrating.
As chops, I’m frying a pair tonight (they were on sale).
I will admit I have a couple in the freezer which I will brine and either spin or turn into Canadian bacon, I will probably always have one or two of them on hand but, I wish they were more “porky”!
Most people enjoy them but, unless you do something to tweak it, it’s pretty flat.

Bone-in, breaded, pan fried, rib chops are a whole 'nother matter.
It's hard for me to resist eating the bone too!

Hey Bob,

I've been buying whole loins and slicing them into steaks about 1" thick. Then, I beat them with a tenderizer until they are about 1/4" or maybe less. To season, I start with oil, then I like salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.

To cook, I use a chimney of hot coals on my kettle, banked to one side. I take 3 or 4 at a time and toss them over direct heat, KEEPING THE LID OPEN. Flip them regularly, every 1 min or less. When they are the color I like, I move them to the cool side of the grill and grab 3 or 4 more from the pan. When they are the right color, they are also up to temp. If you close the lid, they will over cook.

They so thin, they cook super fast. I'd estimate total cook time is 5 min or so. They always come out flavorful and moist. It's my new favorite way to cook loins.

I'll try and do some soon and post pics. But, don't wait on me, give it a try. If you don't normally use a tenderizer, you might be thinking it will make a mess. If you cover the meat with plastic wrap, it prevents splatter.

Don't know how I missed this thread Bob, but you're not alone. I gave up on pork loin chops and roasts last year. I tried all the things that you've done with the same results, tasteless dry pork. Certainty not the tasty pork of my youth.
I've had some decent bone in chops except around here they slice the things so dang thin you have to be super careful you don't overcook them.
Unfortunately the nearest butcher shop to us is a 200 mile RT to Phoenix.

That's actually quite funny Rich, as it is opposite to where I am.
The closest decent town is a 300 km return trip, but the closest butcher is only 7 km away :)
Not all cuts etc are available there, but at least there's meat:cool:

I mentioned that I had a technique that works well for me. Before you give up on grilled pork loins, try this.

Start with a loin and slice into approx 1" sections.

NgxCaPdh.jpg

Beat them with a tenderizer and cook them directly over the fire with the lid open:

xnPAifrh.jpg

My goal is to get them nice and brown on the outside without overcooking the inside. That's why I keep the lid open during cook. As you can see, I missed my mark. But, even though I missed the target IT, they were still juicy. I think one thing that might help me keep the IT down is if I start slicing a tad thicker or tenderize them less so they are not quite as thin, maybe stop at about 1/2". But, honestly, these are still very juicy. Another thought is that even I try to hit the center of the meat with the probe, I wonder if the probe is hitting the center and giving me a true reading. Thin cuts are harder to measure temps.

2JrNLKph.jpg

Try brining them for two hours prior to grilling. Once you brine pork first, you'll be hooked. The salt-based solution (with apple cider vinegar and brown sugar) not only yields a juicer and more tender product, but also enhanced flavor.

I typically use Alton Brown's recipe (see first paragraph in link below), but I've modified it slightly to add the salt and brown sugar into the vinegar into a stove top pan until hot and mostly dissolved. I then pour that solution over the ice and let cool. Once completely dissolved into solution, I either use as-is (tastes fine that way) or I add additional herbs and/or flavors to the brine before placing pork in to soak it up. Just don't over-brine. After two hours, rinse the chops, dry and let come to room temps. Finally, grill indirectly and sear hot at the end to finish.

Don't give up on the loin just yet. Give this a try and see if that doesn't change your mind. Bone-In chops with added fat are always more tender and juicy, but the minimal fat pork loin can still be a winner after bathing in a good salt solution for awhile. It really does work. Enjoy!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/stuffed-grilled-pork-chops-recipe-1940377

Last edited:
Don’t get me wrong, I still have them on hand for some things, Always will, family likes them.
Brining is a fine thing, but it does not make the product taste more like pork just like manipulated “other white meat” sorry, can’t make something lacking in its historical flavor all of a sudden taste like “heirloom” swine. You can make it taste great but, Read post #9.
You can do so much with it but I still think it largely is the animal version of tofu, it needs something to give it flavor which has been bred out of it along with everything but surface fat, it’s just the way things go, the food police get involved and say it’s bad to eat something and, well... you know how that goes.

I guess I'm missing something or my taste buds are shot. I buy a lot of loins and slice into chops or halve and make roasts.
They always taste porky enough for me and the family.
I ( like some of you ) grew up when pork was cooked to death to avoid Trich.
But now taking it to 140 ish makes for me a pretty flavorful chop.
I have 4 Son's and I used to buy a whole cow and pig yearly from family that lived down south in Indiana.
The beef was just Black angus and the piggys were farm raised with none of the added stuff that you find with mass produced pork.
Price was right, but I don't notice any less flavor using store bought pork.

Tim

Back