The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunsaker Vortex Plate for WSM Charcoal Ring

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I guess one question I'd have is does it make high temps any easier somehow, without having the modify the cooker by putting in more vents or propping the lid.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
    I guess one question I'd have is does it make high temps any easier somehow, without having the modify the cooker by putting in more vents or propping the lid.
    I rotisseried some ribs the other night using the fire basket clone in the 18.5 WSM. Cooked at 380* with one lower vent open & the top vent open.
    18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker

TVWBB Wizard
    Robert thank you for your input, please up to date on your findings, i like the idea of not running the water bowl, to messy .
    I have used a clay saucer, and that works pretty good,till it cracks.

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I am also intrigued by this gizmo but, I’m also cheap!
    Robert, any updates on the “Wheel of smoky goodness” that this thing is supposed to provide?
    Going to make popcorn now!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin L (NKY) View Post
    Robert thank you for your input, please up to date on your findings, i like the idea of not running the water bowl, to messy .
    I have used a clay saucer, and that works pretty good,till it cracks.
    I can't remember the last time I used a water pan. Yeah... the clay saucer cracked not long after I was using that. Made a steel rimmed plate for use as a diffuser that I lined w/ alum foil & changed the foil after every cook. Now I use it only when I cook something like a pork butt that will render lots of grease.

As far as the Hunsaker firebasket clone goes.... have used it about 5 times now. It's great for HH cooks. Can maintain 350* with one bottom vent at 70% open & top vent open. & it vaporizes the drippings if you like that flavor in your smoke. Have not tied it with 225 - 250* cooks as I usually cook at 275* +.
    18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker

I have the Vortex Basket that I use in my 18.5. Like Robert I have only used mine for higher heat applications. It makes some awesome ribs! That is actually why I bought mine so I could use my WSM like a drum smoker. For me personally if I want to do LNS, I’ll just use the regular charcoal ring and put my clay saucer in place. I don’t see this as a replacement for a heat sink. I see it as another application for the WSM altogether. Only negative is that grease tends to pool in the bottom when I use the Vortex with the ash catcher in place.
    99 and 09 Performers, 18.5 WSM, 22.5 and 18.5 OTG, SJG, mini WSM, Summit 420, Q100, KJ Classic, KJ Jr, Tripod Schwenkgrill

I was wondering if any of you that own the vortex plate or the vortex basket can post a video showing the vortex plate in action. I am very intrigued by this, but I have not seen anything on the internet that shows that the plate creates a "vortex" of air spinning in the WSM or the drum smoker. The closest video is a vortex of fire that Hunsaker put up on its website, but it's obvious that air is being blown into the basket to create that effect. I would like to see the vortex plate in action as it would normally be used. A short ten second video showing smoke billowing out of the plate with the smoke going around in a vortex ought to convince all the naysayers. But I'm just wondering why no one has put up any video showing how the smoke and air really moves during normal use in a WSM or a drum.

Edit: Just wanted to add that all the videos I've seen of the Hunsaker in action do little to persuade skeptics that the vortex basket swirls the air, smoke, and heat inside the drum. Of the videos I've seen of the Hunsaker drums with the lid off, the smoke rises straight up into the air and then it sometimes does a little swirl as the smoke escapes the drum. But the YouTube videos clearly show the smoke only going straight up in the drum with little to no swirling (or "vortex") action.

Not to say the vortex plate has no other uses. Perhaps it helps heat efficiency and results in less charcoal usage. Perhaps it's easier to set and maintain certain temps with it. But I have seen no evidence that the vortex plate swirls the air, smoke, and heat inside the drum.
    Last edited by S. Yoo; 07-24-2018 at 09:55 PM.

TVWBB Pro
    I'm interested in this. I would like to hear from someone who does a cook around 250 and see what they think. For those of you who have one, do you light your charcoal like they recommend for their charcoal box? I would probably use the minion method. Anybody have experience using it with the plate?
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers...and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    I'm interested in this. I would like to hear from someone who does a cook around 250 and see what they think. For those of you who have one, do you light your charcoal like they recommend for their charcoal box? I would probably use the minion method. Anybody have experience using it with the plate?
    Like I mentioned before... I use it for HH cooks. MM works fine, but for chicken I just pour a chimney of lit briquettes. Gets things going fast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12