The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunsaker Vortex Plate for WSM Charcoal Ring

Hunsaker Vortex Plate for WSM Charcoal Ring

I've wanted a Hunsaker Vortex Fire basket for awhile, but the price was just too high for me to pull the trigger. I went to the site last night and saw the vortex plate that sits on the WSM charcoal ring ...purchased it immediately. Does anyone have one already? Here is the link:

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/coll...-modifications

TVWBB Super Fan
    I didn’t realize they made just the plate. Let us know how it works when you receive it. Thanks for the link.
    Too many Webers to list

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Hmm... That certainly seems more tempting than buying the basket.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Fan
    Now I am very intrigued!
    26.75" x 2, Vintage 22", 22.5", 18.5", 14.5"

OK, so somebody help me help me out with this.
    What does this fan looking qizmo do better then just controlling the amount of lit vs unlit and using the vents to control temps.
    I'm not being negative, just trying to learn.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Pro
    I believe the intent is to create a vortex flow of hot air coming off the coals. It thoroughly mixes the air and should result in fewer hot spots and cold spots.

My issue would be with access to the coals. I often end up adding more smoke wood and occasionally adding more charcoal or doing a gentle stir of the ashes. It seems like with a heavy iron lid on the charcoal basket that would be a lot more difficult.

I was looking into getting a heavy gauge pizza pan and cutting/bending into a similar arrangement. My idea was to get it as close to the inner diameter of the WSM as I could, using it to replace the water pan. That way there would be vortex air flow and I'd still be able to access the fire through the side door. Haven't actually done anything with this idea yet aside from consider it.

TVWBB Member
    I know folks really like those 'vortex' baskets, but I have a hard time believing the air flow in a charcoal smoker is high enough for it to really work as claimed. I know when my WSM is puffing along at 250*F it's literally just puffing, there's not a fast moving stream of air coming out of the exhaust vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin_G View Post
    I know folks really like those 'vortex' baskets, but I have a hard time believing the air flow in a charcoal smoker is high enough for it to really work as claimed. I know when my WSM is puffing along at 250*F it's literally just puffing, there's not a fast moving stream of air coming out of the exhaust vent.

My thought's exactly. I think it's more geared for folks who use an ATC.
    I don't see what that does differently on a calm day.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    My thought's exactly. I think it's more geared for folks who use an ATC.
    I don't see what that does differently on a calm day.

Tim
    I'm thinking the same thing. When I'm cooking, I have one vent open about 1/2 way or less. Not a lot of airflow. Also, I take a bit of effort to pack my charcoal, so I get a pretty even burn. Plus, I'm a bit too cheap to even spend the money just for the plate. Don't get me wrong, I understand the desire to fiddle, I'm just trying to control that urge since I've made an effort to downsize/minimize. Do have fun though.
    1880 / Genesis S-320

Seems like it is more for high heat cooks. I made a clone and have been checking it out at 300* +.

So far, I like it. Eliminates the water pan. Seems to keep temps dialed in. Meat juices/drippings sizzle on the "fan", so no flare ups.

Need to use it a bit more before "green lighting" it.
    18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast