Hunsaker Vortex Plate for WSM Charcoal Ring

OK, so somebody help me help me out with this.
What does this fan looking qizmo do better then just controlling the amount of lit vs unlit and using the vents to control temps.
I'm not being negative, just trying to learn.:)

Tim

I believe the intent is to create a vortex flow of hot air coming off the coals. It thoroughly mixes the air and should result in fewer hot spots and cold spots.

My issue would be with access to the coals. I often end up adding more smoke wood and occasionally adding more charcoal or doing a gentle stir of the ashes. It seems like with a heavy iron lid on the charcoal basket that would be a lot more difficult.

I was looking into getting a heavy gauge pizza pan and cutting/bending into a similar arrangement. My idea was to get it as close to the inner diameter of the WSM as I could, using it to replace the water pan. That way there would be vortex air flow and I'd still be able to access the fire through the side door. Haven't actually done anything with this idea yet aside from consider it.

I know folks really like those 'vortex' baskets, but I have a hard time believing the air flow in a charcoal smoker is high enough for it to really work as claimed. I know when my WSM is puffing along at 250*F it's literally just puffing, there's not a fast moving stream of air coming out of the exhaust vent.

I know folks really like those 'vortex' baskets, but I have a hard time believing the air flow in a charcoal smoker is high enough for it to really work as claimed. I know when my WSM is puffing along at 250*F it's literally just puffing, there's not a fast moving stream of air coming out of the exhaust vent.

My thought's exactly. I think it's more geared for folks who use an ATC.
I don't see what that does differently on a calm day.

Tim

My thought's exactly. I think it's more geared for folks who use an ATC.
I don't see what that does differently on a calm day.

Tim

I'm thinking the same thing. When I'm cooking, I have one vent open about 1/2 way or less. Not a lot of airflow. Also, I take a bit of effort to pack my charcoal, so I get a pretty even burn. Plus, I'm a bit too cheap to even spend the money just for the plate. Don't get me wrong, I understand the desire to fiddle, I'm just trying to control that urge since I've made an effort to downsize/minimize. Do have fun though.

Seems like it is more for high heat cooks. I made a clone and have been checking it out at 300* +.

So far, I like it. Eliminates the water pan. Seems to keep temps dialed in. Meat juices/drippings sizzle on the "fan", so no flare ups.

Need to use it a bit more before "green lighting" it.

I guess one question I'd have is does it make high temps any easier somehow, without having the modify the cooker by putting in more vents or propping the lid.

I guess one question I'd have is does it make high temps any easier somehow, without having the modify the cooker by putting in more vents or propping the lid.

I rotisseried some ribs the other night using the fire basket clone in the 18.5 WSM. Cooked at 380* with one lower vent open & the top vent open.

Robert thank you for your input, please up to date on your findings, i like the idea of not running the water bowl, to messy .
I have used a clay saucer, and that works pretty good,till it cracks.

I am also intrigued by this gizmo but, I’m also cheap!
Robert, any updates on the “Wheel of smoky goodness” that this thing is supposed to provide?
Going to make popcorn now!

Robert thank you for your input, please up to date on your findings, i like the idea of not running the water bowl, to messy .
I have used a clay saucer, and that works pretty good,till it cracks.

I can't remember the last time I used a water pan. Yeah... the clay saucer cracked not long after I was using that. Made a steel rimmed plate for use as a diffuser that I lined w/ alum foil & changed the foil after every cook. Now I use it only when I cook something like a pork butt that will render lots of grease.

As far as the Hunsaker firebasket clone goes.... have used it about 5 times now. It's great for HH cooks. Can maintain 350* with one bottom vent at 70% open & top vent open. & it vaporizes the drippings if you like that flavor in your smoke. Have not tied it with 225 - 250* cooks as I usually cook at 275* +.

I have the Vortex Basket that I use in my 18.5. Like Robert I have only used mine for higher heat applications. It makes some awesome ribs! That is actually why I bought mine so I could use my WSM like a drum smoker. For me personally if I want to do LNS, I’ll just use the regular charcoal ring and put my clay saucer in place. I don’t see this as a replacement for a heat sink. I see it as another application for the WSM altogether. Only negative is that grease tends to pool in the bottom when I use the Vortex with the ash catcher in place.

I was wondering if any of you that own the vortex plate or the vortex basket can post a video showing the vortex plate in action. I am very intrigued by this, but I have not seen anything on the internet that shows that the plate creates a "vortex" of air spinning in the WSM or the drum smoker. The closest video is a vortex of fire that Hunsaker put up on its website, but it's obvious that air is being blown into the basket to create that effect. I would like to see the vortex plate in action as it would normally be used. A short ten second video showing smoke billowing out of the plate with the smoke going around in a vortex ought to convince all the naysayers. But I'm just wondering why no one has put up any video showing how the smoke and air really moves during normal use in a WSM or a drum.

Edit: Just wanted to add that all the videos I've seen of the Hunsaker in action do little to persuade skeptics that the vortex basket swirls the air, smoke, and heat inside the drum. Of the videos I've seen of the Hunsaker drums with the lid off, the smoke rises straight up into the air and then it sometimes does a little swirl as the smoke escapes the drum. But the YouTube videos clearly show the smoke only going straight up in the drum with little to no swirling (or "vortex") action.

Not to say the vortex plate has no other uses. Perhaps it helps heat efficiency and results in less charcoal usage. Perhaps it's easier to set and maintain certain temps with it. But I have seen no evidence that the vortex plate swirls the air, smoke, and heat inside the drum.

Last edited:
I'm interested in this. I would like to hear from someone who does a cook around 250 and see what they think. For those of you who have one, do you light your charcoal like they recommend for their charcoal box? I would probably use the minion method. Anybody have experience using it with the plate?

I'm interested in this. I would like to hear from someone who does a cook around 250 and see what they think. For those of you who have one, do you light your charcoal like they recommend for their charcoal box? I would probably use the minion method. Anybody have experience using it with the plate?

Like I mentioned before... I use it for HH cooks. MM works fine, but for chicken I just pour a chimney of lit briquettes. Gets things going fast.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I wonder if the plate works the same as the whole fire basket. The fire basket doesn't have any holes in it except the bottom and top. Air comes in the bottom and rushes out the top through the top plate, creating the vortex. Kind of like a charcoal chimney. The WSM ring has holes in the top, bottom, and sides, so I figure it creates less of a vacuum and the air spins less. I can't see the vortex basket creating much spinning air at lower temps like 250 anyway, and I figure the vortex plate with WSM ring would create less, making it just a fan shaped heat shield. I know...but sometimes I just wake up and wonder about this stuff, kind of like trying to grasp the concept of infinity. I'll probably buy one anyway.

Back