Long smoke with 14.5 WSM

Mike in Dallas

Just acquired a new WSM 14.5 inch. If I wanted to smoke a brisket what is the max time on one load of fuel (kingsford original) that this thing can stay 230?

Will probably be using minion method and no water in pan. I assume that is the most efficient way of having a long smoke on these bad boys

I find that it depends quite a lot on the outside conditions: temperature, wind, rain or dry.
For me, 230 is almost impossible in summer time (max temps of 110 F), but doable in winter time (max of about 80 F).
I haven't done a long cook at these low temperatures, but you should easily be able to get 8 to 10 hours

9 is about the most I’ve got out of mine before the ash build up snuffs out the coals. You may want to pull your internal heat shield out to give you a little more ash capacity.

I got 8 hrs with a few coals left in my 14.5. My cook was at approximately 250°, with ambient temp of 65°, foiled pan, and a windy day. I used a full load of KBB to start. I moved the heat shield to the outside of the cooker.

FWIW, I wired the charcoal ring to the grate and added handles to the grate. I have a galvanized bucket with lid and I can remove the upper section, shake the grate to clear ash, pull the charcoal grate out, and then empty the ash accumulation in the bottom into the bucket. It doesn't take long and allows you to easily refill with charcoal and continue your cook. I hope that's clear.

I just noticed that this is your first post. Welcome to the group. Lots of knowledgeable people here. Feel free to post.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I smoked a brisket that I separated the point and flat. Point on bottom rack and flat on top. I got about 6 hours before temps started dropping due to ash accumulation. Had to take top and middle section off. Pick out still lit bricks with tongs. Empty the ash. Then assemble. Was a little bit of a hassle mid cook not to mention throwing temp off. Think I will try raising charcoal grate and the lump charcoal

I don't seem to have a problem with ash built up.
My last cook (pics still to come) was a good 8 hours, at which time I added 4 pieces of charcoal, just to be on the safe side. I just added via the door.
I think I would have managed 10 without adding.
(Reason for adding, was that I was scared that if I waited too long, there wouldn't be enough heat left in the charcoal to light the new pieces).
I cooked around 110-120 oC (230-250 F), with a waterpan filled with water, outside temp around 27-30 oC (80 F) bit of wind.
I refilled the waterpan about 6 hours into the cook.

Back