The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WSM noob with charcoal issue

If you cook around the pool I doubt everyone will end up smokey, especially if you don't start the charcoal right by the pool. Assuming you load up with the minion method, light the charcoal maybe a little further away and then dump the chimney in and assemble the smoker, I doubt everyone will end up smelling smokey, especially if the only time you open the lid is to add or remove food, or to very occasionally check for doneness.

Anyways, welcome to the forum and enjoy the ribs! Let us know if they turn out any better than the chicken.
    14.5" WSM, 18.5" WSM, 18.5" OTS, 22.5" OTG, SJS, Spirit E-210

TVWBB Super Fan
    Good luck with your next smoke

I use lump charcoal in my WSM and I hardly ever use wood as it's smoky enough for me....

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Anne, I’m curious, just what kind of charcoal and other commercial supplies are available in Zambia? I’ve had some fun chatting with TonyUK about what is available and what is NOT available there. After a few months of emailing, we were sending thing back and forth and have developed an interesting “electronic” relationship. He’s out at sea right now working an oil rig so, he has very spotty internet connections but, we keep in touch.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Super Fan
    Tim, we buy our charcoal on the side of the road. It's made locally.
    Charcoal burning is a big issue here and contributes to deforestation. But is is awesome charcoal, and I always feel a bit guilty buying it.
    There is some other charcoal available in town I think, but that's a 3 hour drive.
    I will be posting a thread about my pork cook soon and it will have some charcoal pictures in it

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Thanks Anne, it’s interesting to see how things are done around the world! I wondered about locally made charcoal for you, I don’t hear about container ships of Kingsford headed to Africa very often.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Super Fan
    I'll check next time I am in town what type of charcoal is being sold in the shops.
    Those are just small bags though. Most people that braai a lot will buy the big bags on the roadside.
    Charcoal is also used for heating in the winter and to cook stews, relishes and everything else on. Gas is expensive and some areas don't have electricity. Solar is starting to become big...

By the way: Braai means both grilling and BBQ-ing, to braai is the action of cooking. A braai is the equipment used.

Here's a link to an article I read here when I first got my WSM years ago. Follow this method and you'll get some of the tastiest chicken you've ever eaten. Good luck

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken4.html

Note - I like to cook my chicken at a little higher temp...usually 320-325 ish but try it out and see what works best for you.

I tried again smooking some wings (memphis dry rub) and this time they turned out a lot better.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I went with a higher temperature throughout the cook (350F) for 50 minutes without the water pan. The skin was crispy.
    I also used lump charcoal to give me a higher temperature. And I only put in one small fist size of apple wood. There was a thin smoke layer coming out of the smoker (blue smoke I guess!)

The smoke taste was much more subtle. A bit too much for the wife but I was satisfied!

Photo #1
    Photo #2
    Photo #3
    Last edited by Phil_T; 04-12-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Congrats on the successful cook! Those wings look amazing.
    14.5" WSM, 18.5" WSM, 18.5" OTS, 22.5" OTG, SJS, Spirit E-210

Excellent job on the wings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast