What a deal on spareribs !

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
So I purchased two whole spareribs from Kroger. I t has been a long time since I've purchased spares. Believe it or not, I even watched a video on trimming!

I was curious how much yield there was...
So from a nice spare I managed to get 31.4 ounces of St. Louis trim ribs.
Ribblets: 44 ounces.

I don't like that one bit. Perhaps back to Baby Backs when doing ribs. Way too much junk on those Kroger spares for me.
No deal at any price.

I did the same thing recently. I save the excess for sausage, but you are right, it is a bummer to have all that waste. I love spares but my wife prefers either baby backs or no ribs at all. Also, a bummer.

I'll buy St. Louis ribs pre trimmed if the price is right. But Barb and I prefer BBs anytime over St. Louis.

Man, I love the trim from a full rack of spares! I smoke them right along with the St. Louis racks and them cut them down into rib tips, pop them into an aluminum half pan with a little apple juice and sauce, cover and put them back into the cooker for an hour or so. Bite sized things of beauty!

Gentlemen I get the love for the trimmings...I guess I prefer the ribs.
Fair enough.

One more though, they can be cured and smoked for a pot of beans, or ?

zxNhG1LBQDuHaloWsai2V0OG8fuNDuoPmsMyzR_ONszerOg6M8lqlv4h78TTVTaLKc4wEZijACGfzQSp3SB1YlP9GoBNusZEvSeatBAZY3S-dI1MdTk0jB7RQf4vUNluJ1siYnXnrPOnKprTkii6CNiU7YT-movpgY2BlXM96BejgcuXYOQAI5EFyfWxuCekWcSYd0oP4HQ4pgjCIkdYGjgmGCplopl6WIl0zNBrDD605GzlLs72iVqZj3k3OAzjmETezzG2ZiRocQCE-YOTspJKRdafmrKPi2CoE_b1-L_WWFpt4FhYY3eh9ropcc908IPUDMebvLFuKDfxE0RRBRqsrS2dZMaVbvhI_Fk6olvCGS2jR8bw8ZxLtFdhxhBx7UTeru0jbp-LA3KnjZcjiuQOSEnUs8BKqo6DBhWJh34sNXfQ0x7WIHifwHJBclpxPWHLKA1LuW7GspnokmkYzfQqtVrtMCOkXCe-PMmq7JebPah0DcG3d5QKKMu6HGHEbr0cc04qKrky0tADwKVnwoON6DJrt8zRKlY2I1r8vwNykXONPehi2G1S-zTKjBLVgOtB1P8s5VB6xWiWbwfhAN6kylpsph18nGdBmOLakSAivKR88HmqFw=w1008-h672-no

Full disclosure:
I REALLY like SPARES, TRIMMINGS, ST. LOUIS CUT; BABY BACKS, ETC! That said, I prefer Costco’s “Loin Back” ribs above all else. Done properly, they are like “Heaven on Earth”��.

Keep on smokin’,
Dale53:wsm:

I grew up on Spares, and the Rib Tips are just as popular in Chicago and elsewhere.
I know it goes back to our roots and what we grew up eating, what our elders cooked for us and what was available at the local BBQ shack.
I only started cooking BB"s a few years ago, and I like them, but don't have the experience, like Spares.

Tim

Waste? What waste?

I'm with Bob here. I smoke the trimmings up, snack on them and/or pull the meat off the cartilage and freeze for chili.

Alright! It’s 11:00 AM and I want to fire something off in the WSM but, right now it’s friggin’ snowing and windy and all the desired proteins are frozen! I will get something thawed and smoke this weekend!

Full disclosure:
I REALLY like SPARES, TRIMMINGS, ST. LOUIS CUT; BABY BACKS, ETC! That said, I prefer Costco’s “Loin Back” ribs above all else. Done properly, they are like “Heaven on Earth”��.

Keep on smokin’,
Dale53:wsm:

Robert, Your reply has me wanting to go to Costco today and cook up some ribs tonight. Please give your ideas of "done properly". Might pick up some pointers.
Mark

Back