Today at my South StL county Costco, the Kamado Joe roadshow, etc

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
First off, Prime packer briskets were $3.29/lb, pork bellies $2.99/lb, regular gasoline $2.32/gal.
The blue Pit Boss kamado was $599, and comes with a deflector plate and cover.

I didn't know the KJ roadshow would be there, but was pleased to get a 30/lb bag of KJ big block lump charcoal for $21.99, also bought twin 18/lb bags of K-Pro briquettes for $5 off. (34/lb Cowboy lump was $19.99, I passed on that)
Picked up a small bone-in Choice rib roast for $9.69/lb.

Here's the roadshow schedule for anyone interested:
https://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

imo, overpriced propaganda.
That's why I was happy to try something new for $300 instead of the original price of $600.
The mid size KJ (same size as my Pit Boss) is $1,200, the little guy was $400, I think.

Just like a Santa Maria, it's another way to cook.

Santa Maria that's what I want, but every time I bring it up I get the stink eye from Barb. $3.29 for prime packer sounds pretty good.

I'd love to go see the KJ Roadshow but Santa Clara is a bit too far and I get really nervous when I return to the bay area. :)

I think this is just the "Flavor of the Month" fad as far as grilling goes, as ceramic grills are seeming to pop up all over the place from more and more companies. That said, they have their place and a great tool for those that have or want one. As far as price, BGE set the standard long ago, and if people are willing to pay that much, I can't fault the companies for asking it. Myself, I just can't justify that kind of money. But for someone using the ceramic as their smoker, grill, all in one the cost may make more sense.
Tim

I was delivering at a Home Depot that had a Traeger display, complete with reps and coupons. They saw my “Grill Sergeant “ tattoo and wanted me to come over and help sell some. They didn’t think it was funny when I stated that I was a Weber guy and could counterpoint every reason they had to buy theirs! :D

I was delivering at a Home Depot that had a Traeger display, complete with reps and coupons. They saw my “Grill Sergeant “ tattoo and wanted me to come over and help sell some. They didn’t think it was funny when I stated that I was a Weber guy and could counterpoint every reason they had to buy theirs! :D

I had the same experience at our Costco. They were doing a demo and asked me if I would like to see how it works, I said no thanks and replied that my daughter has one and she's happy with it, but me I'll stick with my Weber's. The guy got all kinds of snotty about it and I just said I already have an oven in the house don't need one in the backyard.

I had the same experience at our Costco. They were doing a demo and asked me if I would like to see how it works, I said no thanks and replied that my daughter has one and she's happy with it, but me I'll stick with my Weber's. The guy got all kinds of snotty about it and I just said I already have an oven in the house don't need one in the backyard.

Too funny!

Who knows?.....................Maybe you guys are missing out on something really good. My friend's wife said she wanted a grill. He said they looked at many different ones (they've got $$$$$ too so they were looking into pricey stuff). IN the end they settled on a Big Green Egg. While I may not be a fan boy of the BGE (for reasons other than the type of grill it is) I have tasted food that she has prepared on it and I have to say it is AMAZING so much so I may compliment my gas collection with a ceramic grill. https://www.samsclub.com/sams/kamado-b-series-w-grill-2017/prod20943283.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1 they even have a gas conversion for it which I find very intriguing https://www.samsclub.com/sams/quickchng-insert-b-series-gas/prod21261241.ip?xid=plp:product:1:4
I have checked them out. I like this product WAY better than the BGE due to what i consider superior build quality and versatility at a much better price point

I have a Kamado Joe actually along with my WSMs. I really like the Kamado Joe for pulled pork. It holds heat so well and the fat dripping on the hot deflector plate makes a huge taste difference. Its charcoal efficiency is impressive as well. If I had to go down to just one grill/smoker it is the one I would probably keep due to its flexibility. I would love to get a Weber Summit charcoal grill to compare it too but they are just so expensive.

Back