First deal of the season

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
While I already have several other grills ready for rehab attention, I have kept an eye on CL for some really good deals on grills for rehabbing. A $20 Genesis 1xxx popped up a couple days ago and it looked good from the pictures. Of course, only outside pictures, none for the inside. I contacted the guy and said I would take it anyway. The shelves (Durawood) looked pretty good and were intact. It also looked like the Z brackets were in good shape which is not usually the case. The swing table was also intact and, although, I couldn't tell if it had the slide support, it looked possible.

I got there and of course the flavorizer bars were caving in and when I tried to pick them up, the rest broke in half as well. The burner tubes look "OK" but I am not holding out hope that when I go to pull them out and clean them up, they wont show problems or fall apart when I try to clean them up. The porcelain coated stamped steel cooking grates are usable, but showing definite signs of corrosion along the bottom edges. They still have chicken meat stuck to them from the last cook. ahhahaha. The cookbox is full of gunk and rusty steel chunks. The drip pan looks usable. The frame looks quite good and no sign of a problem at the bolt hole on the left side which is common. The hood looks like it has the oxidization problem. Does anyone know a way to get that out? I wonder if some automotive rubbing compound would work? The propane connection is a quick connect, which I will replace with a new hose and regulator. The hose is pretty stiff anyways.

Big bonus, as I was leaving, the guy mentioned the rotisserie that was on it. He said if he could find it, I could have it. I said "heck yah". He found the spit but not the motor, counterbalance and skewers. He called is wife and she told him where they were and he got them. So, I got a free Weber roto with it as well. It looks nearly new. I think he was kind of sad to see it go, but he mentioned he got a new Weber Summit for a wedding present in November.

Lots of great parts with this grill but it is a prime candidate for a full rehab. Not sure if I will let it go with the roto or not. I have the basket style weber roto, but for some things, the skewer style would be much better suited.

Pictures:

JZrOZNU.jpg

GftP8Y3.jpg

pTsJEjl.jpg

GLq2ObD.jpg

PPB4yGD.jpg

GftP8Y3.jpg

8If8pt3.jpg

2syZ5OY.jpg

zMBbfmk.jpg

myziQPM.jpg

Additional 4 photos:

oRkN8UY.jpg

fE0VmvC.jpg

1LokP9q.jpg

XzEErP7.jpg

So, great frame, cookbox, shelves, Drop down table with slide, and rotisserie....I think I got a good deal.

Looks pretty decent and you know you can replace that quick disconnect with the large plastic POL for the propane tank. They sell them at Menards FleaBay also Otherwise I like the looks of that one.

Larry, is the POL a direct replacement for the quick disconnect? If so, Yah, I will probably just go that route. Probably just a few bucks for the POL. I think Walmart even has them. Thanks for that heads up. I didn't even consider that I could possibly just swap them out.

Is this the deal: https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...61-c-6860.htm?tid=-790046335442591556&ipos=23

I agree, aside from the consumable internals being pretty much toast, the rest of the grill is in great shape. That hood might have to be replaced though. Probably would hurt the resale value quite a bit. I have spare Silver B hood in the garage, but I can't remember if it has the same problem with oxidization or not.

I am also considering removing the swing table slide bar and slide adapter. Those are just so hard to come by. Maybe save it for a special rebuild later on. I will also pull the rotisserie for personal use.

Last edited:
I didn't get the tank. The guy offered the other end of the quick connect, but I declined. I didn't want to have some cobble job on the rehabbed grill. With the new "ACME" connector, it will be just like a brand new grill.

Bruce,

I would DEFINITELY recommend giving the spit style rotisserie a spin. It is about ten times easier to clean than the basket, and as long as you truss you're in good shape. I just picked up a pork roast today to do on the roto, and due to the ease of cleaning I'm going to truss it and use the spit, not the basket.

Give it a try. You'll thank me when you are cleaning it :)

Bruce,
Looks like a very good candidate or if you choose certainly lots of usable parts. The rotisserie was a sweet add on for that total price especially;)!

I don’t think there is any real solution for the hood. I have tried some scratch remover and “Black” wax but porcelain doesn’t respond like car finishes. I don’t know what would happen if you aggressively worked it over with rubbing compound, but I tend to doubt it would bring back the dark color.

Jon, that is what I figured, but I saw a post a while back about some one using wax/rubbing compound to get rid of the oxidization. Not sure if it really worked good or not. I may just give it a shot later this summer. Seems to be a waste of an otherwise good hood just for that reason.

Looks like a worthy project. The porcelain on the hood is basically glass that has been fused to metal. You might try cerium oxide to polish the hood. I've used used it to take scratches out of glass.

Here's the first deal of the season for me...a Silver C for $60 on Offerup.

ODRN4LU.png

Here's one that my buddy scored last week for free...

AYyURWs.png

Both of those are great deals. It is just a matter or being patient and vigilant.

Spring is definitely in the air for you guys! We are already having hints of summer. Great scores all around!

There have been some really good ones by me, but can’t pursue right now. Even if it wasn’t tax season I am out space so it is first time to finish something :eek:. (That didn’t stop me from lining up a free redhead to pick up after the 17th;).)

Bruce,

I would DEFINITELY recommend giving the spit style rotisserie a spin. It is about ten times easier to clean than the basket, and as long as you truss you're in good shape. I just picked up a pork roast today to do on the roto, and due to the ease of cleaning I'm going to truss it and use the spit, not the basket.

Give it a try. You'll thank me when you are cleaning it :)

The only thing about the spit style is that big metal rod is a giant heat sink right through the center of your roast, bird, what have you. While I love rotisserie one observation I have about the spit rod is that it gets screaming hot and causes the food to cook at an abnormally rapid rate internally. While this CAN be desirable it can also be a problem. One reason I'd love to find me one of the basket type.
As for spring being sprung. I would sure like to know "WHERE?". Just got in from taking garbage out. 25 degrees, 2" of blowing snow and ice, salt spreaders all out. Spring my A$$!

Spring is definitely in the air for you guys! We are already having hints of summer. Great scores all around!

There have been some really good ones by me, but can’t pursue right now. Even if it wasn’t tax season I am out space so it is first time to finish something :eek:. (That didn’t stop me from lining up a free redhead to pick up after the 17th;).)
5" of fresh snow last night. The forecast is showing another week of winter like weather, but people are getting restless and the stores are putting out sale adds for grills, so the grilling season is underway up here in spite of the damn weather.

Listened to a guy named Tom Skilling who is one of the most respected meteorologists in the business. He was saying yesterday he doesn't see any relief from this crap for another 2 weeks! And even colder next week.

As for spring being sprung. I would sure like to know "WHERE?". Just got in from taking garbage out. 25 degrees, 2" of blowing snow and ice, salt spreaders all out. Spring my A$$!

Oh well, Larry. You can at least laugh at me when you finally have beautiful mid-West late spring weather (July?;)) while it is already in the 90’s here in Florida. I do remember going to some April baseball games in Chicago and thinking it must still be football season!

Yeah but at least we don't have alligators. We do have Muskie though (freshwater sharks LOL). Seriously I could never live in a place with that kind of heat and humidity and never be able to just take a dip in a lake for fear of becoming a meal for some creature. Nah you folks down there can keep it

Larry, if I see one of those basket style rotos pop up on CL around here, I will let you know. I could have scored another one last summer, but I passed as I already had one.

Yah, we got a good 5" last night and more forecast in 4 or 5 days. Crazy for April.

CyLyAsj.jpg

Back