RCPlanebuyer Stainless Steel Cooking Grates Review

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I promised on a thread that I would take some pictures and post a quick review when I got my RCPlanebuyer SS cooking grates for my Genny 1000.
I got them today. Here are a few photos.

Here is it with the old Porcelain coated stamped steel grates:

cQ6sltj.jpg

Here are the new RCPlanebuyer grates:

yMaSbbr.jpg

Bbd5Ldg.jpg

I measured the rod thickness and found they are slightly less than 3/8":

w3DF5r3.jpg

The gap between the rods is just over 2/5". The gap varies very slightly due to bends in the rods. (extremely slight that you cannot see with the naked eye).

tTCtORD.jpg

My review is that they are extremely well made. They are done with great care in uniformity and quality craftsmanship. The one thing that surprised me the most is the weight of these things. Holy cow, they are heavy.

I cant wait to season them up and drop a couple thick Ribeyes on them and put some badass "Sear" marks on them.

Yep they are quality products. Wish he would answer my emails. I don't know what I might have done to **** him off. Only thing I have ever done is bought a set of grates from him for my brother's Summit

Bruce,

It looks like you held out for the best! Dave’s workmanship and materials are first class. I am looking forward to seeing them in action. I wish I could spring for a set for my grate showdown, but I will have to use my middle of the road stainless rod grates. They are actually pretty nice, but Dave’s are off the charts:cool:. Enjoy!

Yah, if you have a set of the "middle of the road" SS grates, I wouldn't spend the money on the upgrade unless you had another grill to use them on. I just had the cheapo stamped steal ones.

Now those are some nice looking grates! Bruce, please be sure to show us how they perform over time, like what they look like after a few months of summer grilling!

Tim

Great choice. I've had rcplanebuyer grates and flavorizors on my 1000 about 2 years now. Not sure I'll ever wear them out.

OK, here you go. Sirloin. I left it on a bit too long. But it still tasted great.

ET2euhh.jpg

LdaSYDd.jpg

I guess STAINLESS Steel doesn't realy mean that it won't stain. This is after cleaning with a wire brush.

7l0FqSe.jpg

Yah, I know. They have a good coating of vegetable oil on them now. I know they will be completely black after a few cooks. But that is just seasoning.

OK, here you go. Sirloin. I left it on a bit too long. But it still tasted great.

ET2euhh.jpg

LdaSYDd.jpg

I guess STAINLESS Steel doesn't realy mean that it won't stain. This is after cleaning with a wire brush.

7l0FqSe.jpg

Bruce,

LOOKS GREAT! I guess that's proof you don't have to have a "sear station" or Grill Grates to deliver the real deal!

If your bars stay shiny silver then you aren't reallly USING them;) Keep enjoying!

You don't need no stinkin' sear station. I like it. Anyway, yah, my grill gets up to 550 plus on full blast. If you can sear some beef on 550 degree solid metal grates, then you need to throw the roadkill in the trash and buy some fresh meat in the store.

Back