So How Much Can You Get for a Refurbished Redhead?

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I was burned out with taxes and happened to stumble into this ad on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Re...584225?hash=item4b3ddf3021:g:YL8AAOSw~xlasnus

$450 seems a little optimistic, but he says the price is not negotiable. Not a bad looking redhead, but I hope he didn't paint the hood:eek:! All in all, though, I have seen much better from many of the rehabs you guys have done. I hope later this spring to do at least one redhead myself. So far I haven't had that privilege. I sure wish I could flip them for $450. If I could my wife might happily SEND me on old grill purchase road trips;)!

Ya, good luck with that sale. The grill's not even clean on the inside. The firebox could use a scrubbing with an angled grinder and metal cup brush to make it shiny and it looks like the inside of the lid could use a cleaning as well. Also, isn't that a Weber Genny 1000? It's listed as a 3000. I don't know if I'd call that a fully restored grill but hey, they might get lucky and someone may just bite.

If the price is not negotiable why does the idiot have a "Best Offer" link on the listing? The whole thing has me ROTFLOL

The dude is on crack. That wouldn't even be worth $450 if it had some limited edition hood. Plus, he bills that as a Genesis 3000???? Shouldn't that have a side burner if it is a 3000???
That thing isn't even "cleaned" out. He should be listing that for half that price at most.

I agree regarding the ebay grill. That is an OK "restoration" but there are many details he left out. No emblem refresh for example, and I'm not a big fan of how the wood looks. Plus, it looks like he just cleaned the grates. For $450 you'd better put new grates (quality grates too), all new internals, do a good job on all painting and for goodness sakes, make it look like a real job. Fix that logo!

Edit: That is indeed a 1000, not a 3000. I have a 3000 that I turned into a 2000 (I never once used the side burner) and it's got a longer frame to accommodate the side burner. A great spot for another side table, and it keeps the grilling beverages that much further from the cookbox, nice and cold!

I definitely agree with the replies on this one. I didn't think it was any great grill, but it made me wonder just how much will people pay for a REALLY NICELY RESTORED Genesis 1000 with quality internals and original-looking wood slats? $450 seems unrealistic, but half that doesn't really seem fair if it as been totally redone.

Well, if I survive the next two weeks of tax season:( and get some promised "honey-dos" accomplished I hope to find out. First, I have to produce a decent final product. If I (and you guys) think it looks really good, I may try to test the market and see if I can push the envelope a little. I am really looking forward to deliverance from this computer screen and doing something with my hands!:D

Yah, you really don't know the ceiling for the market until you price yourself out of it. But, I dont think that guy has a problem there.

I would have done a much better job than what he did and probably listed it for about $250 and stand pretty firm. I don't do these grills to have them sitting around and take up garage space, so I like to keep them moving. I have some special grills on tap for this summer. A couple redheads and Silver C with side burner. I may price them up there and see just what I can get for them. I have sold most of my grills pretty quick and probably should ask more and be prepared to hold onto them a while. Maybe $300 for the redheads and Silver C.
Last summer, I had 4 stand up Weber grills, a 2 burner and three 3 burners all ready to sell. I listed them all at once and I had them all sold in two weeks. Those first couple customers were amazed at having a selection like that. It allowed me to swap grates and flavo bars to what they wanted (some used, some new) and I adjusted the prices accordingly. I also had a couple Q grills going too.

I sold my last redhead 1000 which wasn't a full restore. New grates and flavorizer bars. Repainted the frame and top side panels. Refreshed the durawood and cleaned out the firebox.
Put it on Cl for $200 and it sold in a hour and before I took it off Cl I got a couple of more calls on it. I'm pretty sure I could have sold it at $250. The one before that I got $150 same scenario sold in an hour a more calls before I could get the ad down.
I want another one but can't find one within reach.

I sold my last redhead 1000 which wasn't a full restore. New grates and flavorizer bars. Repainted the frame and top side panels. Refreshed the durawood and cleaned out the firebox.
Put it on Cl for $200 and it sold in a hour and before I took it off Cl I got a couple of more calls on it. I'm pretty sure I could have sold it at $250. The one before that I got $150 same scenario sold in an hour a more calls before I could get the ad down.
I want another one but can't find one within reach.

Rich,

That is encouraging. Hopefully, it means that more people shopping for grills are at least thinking about the faithful old Webers the loved (or wished they had bought back then) and how much better they are compared to the Chinese fake stainless one-year grills for sale at the big box stores. I am biding my time, but I WILL get some done and will try to get a fair return for the time, hard work, storage and creativity involved in doing a really good restoration. The responses you received give me hope that there IS a market:D.

Rich,

That is encouraging. Hopefully, it means that more people shopping for grills are at least thinking about the faithful old Webers the loved (or wished they had bought back then) and how much better they are compared to the Chinese fake stainless one-year grills for sale at the big box stores. I am biding my time, but I WILL get some done and will try to get a fair return for the time, hard work, storage and creativity involved in doing a really good restoration. The responses you received give me hope that there IS a market:D.

I've been searching as far away as Phoenix which is at least a 200 mile round trip. What's funny even the silver Bs and 1000s in black are selling upwards of $150. The green silver B I'm going to refurbish I got for free and that you just don't see around here anymore.

It seems the different versions, skyline, blue lids, and other differences seem to be regional a lot of times. I did two or three green heads last year. I see redheads pretty often and have only seen one blue head for sale within 2-3 hundred miles of where I live. Of course, if you live near to a major metropolitan area, you will have a lot more opportunity. But it does seem like Weber used to market certain editions to specific regional areas.

It seems the different versions, skyline, blue lids, and other differences seem to be regional a lot of times. I did two or three green heads last year. I see redheads pretty often and have only seen one blue head for sale within 2-3 hundred miles of where I live. Of course, if you live near to a major metropolitan area, you will have a lot more opportunity. But it does seem like Weber used to market certain editions to specific regional areas.

Old Genny's pop up pretty regularly throughout Florida, mostly with black hoods. Been seeing at least a few redheads (one of which I have someone holding for me until after the 17th;)). Blue hoods, are few and far between. Don't remember seeing one in quite a while. I have my eyes on a Skyline two-burner; it is probably the only Skyline I have seen for sale in Florida in a very long time. I had to get my full-size hood from someone in New Jersey. It seems like there are more Skylines in the Northeast, if that makes any sense...I don't remember seeing any older Genesis grills with other colors to speak of, but I have seen 300 series grills in colors including blue, espresso brown, dark red, copper and, of course, lots of black and stainless.

Jon I believe the Skyline was made for Sears only they sold it no difference from a normal Weber but the lid had the logo and stripes so it would make sense more were sold in the North East because Sears was based in Chicago although being in ATL last August there was one a bit over 2 hours from me to far to drive. It was black and a 3 burner.

2 weeks ago a redhead in atl a 3000 I believe they started at 250 went down to 150 then it was gone had the rotis by the way but it was weird the motor was on the left so slats were missing on that side I know nothing about the rotis which side the motor should be on. Almost like a clearance issue so maybe they used a non Weber rotis.

The blue lid not seen one down here yet on a 3 burner. The prices are going up tons of Silvers over a 100 less than that they look like junk, its just me the black ones do not interest me. Looking for the elusive 5000 may never find one.

Brian

Last edited:
Jon I believe the Skyline was made for Sears only they sold it no difference from a normal Weber but the lid had the logo and stripes so it would make sense more were sold in the North East because Sears was based in Chicago although being in ATL last August there was one a bit over 2 hours from me to far to drive. It was black and a 3 burner.

2 weeks ago a redhead in atl a 3000 I believe they started at 250 went down to 150 then it was gone had the rotis by the way but it was weird the motor was on the left so slats were missing on that side I know nothing about the rotis which side the motor should be on. Almost like a clearance issue so maybe they used a non Weber rotis.

The blue lid not seen one down here yet on a 3 burner. The prices are going up tons of Silvers over a 100 less than that they look like junk, its just me the black ones do not interest me. Looking for the elusive 5000 may never find one.

Brian

Brian,

Yeah, wouldn't it have been great to have been in California and gotten the maroon 5000 I posted? What a rare and beautiful grill!

I know the Skyline is just a variant of the regular Genny, but I really like the design. I guess because I went to grad school and worked in Chicago for a while. I hope to have my rehab back on track after tax season ends:eek:!

I suppose you are right that there would a lot of Sears stores that sold them in the northeast (and of course the midwest). Not as many in the south including Florida.

It will also be very interesting to see if there is a market around here for rehabbed 1000 series grills. I have only seen a few "restored" Webers for sale, usually asking $350 or so. Don't know if they sold or not, but most of them had at least some deficiency that I hope to avoid. I guess time will tell!

I haven't seen a Skyline in the wild and I am in Wisconsin, about 3 hours or so from Chicago. I too would expect them to me prevalent around here, but I haven't found that to be the case.

I agree. More like cleaned up. If the grill had RCPlanebuyer grates and bars maybe $300. But that has stamped steel grates. Even if I cleaned that up better and replaced the wood, I probably wouldn't sell it for $300. We don't know what the frame , drip pan and other problem areas look like either.

There is a reason it is still for sale. He may eventually find a buyer at $300, but he may be sitting on it all summer too.

This is why it will be hard to unload that grill for $300 plus. You can buy two of these for the price of the one grill. Brand new, shiney Stainless steel and 5 burners and extra side burner.

u5QtauU.jpg

BYjsMg5.jpg

Last edited:

Back