Weber Genesis 1000 NG Make Over (First Restoration)

Ron Mack

Hi All,

I was looking for a new grill to replace my old rusted out one. I was looking at 700.00 to 1000.00 for the size and quality I wanted. I found this grill in the back lot of a local second hand store for 15.00. The grates were missing and everything inside was rusted beyond repair but it seemed to have most of the parts. The firebox, lid and frame looked solid. I brought it home even though it was NG which I do not have. I found this forum when i was looking around for parts. With the help of the archives I did a complete tear down and cleaning. I ordered the parts I needed including a LP manifold and I was in business. Since the bottom wire rack was missing I decided to go with wood for the bottom shelf also. So for less than half of what I was going to pay for a new grill I've got a quality item that should last a long time. It has a set of Grill Grates on it for the pics and I also have a set of cast iron grates.

Note: I didn't find out about rcplanebuyer until i had already received a set of flavorizers from amazon. He did however provide the z bars for the shelves.

YmdKq4f.jpg
[/IMG]

nplQ3ph.jpg
[/IMG]

LhJKJQf.jpg
[/IMG]

Nu7Y308.jpg
[/IMG]

oUapSJ7.jpg
[/IMG]

The Silver A in the background is my next project. Next time I'll remember to take before pics.

Ron

Very nice. I have to know what kind of wood that is on the shelves. That is perfect for a grill. That grill may have come originally with wood on the bottom shelf as well. You could also find a donor grill and grab the tank scale/mount so you can easily move the grill around without having to disconnect the propane or hold it while you are moving the grill. That two burner next to your grill might even have one.

Last edited:
Hi Ron,
Welcome to the forum! What a really nice grill. Thank you for sharing pictures. Seeing as you already have another grill in the pipeline I think it is safe to say that you have the fever;)!

You did a great job with your restoration. Is your lid dark green or black? Like Bruce, I am really curious about your wood and how you stained it. It is a very attractive and unique look.

Also, I look forward to you sharing about your experiences with GrillGrates, especially if you swap back and forth with cast iron. Please let us know what you honestly think.

Best wishes on your Silver A restoration!

The wood is actually a cheap piece of 1 inch pine. I cut it to size and sanded. Then I hit it with a blowtorch and stained it with a diluted solution of green food coloring. Sealed the stain with shellac and followed with 3 coats of spar urethane. I did some table tops for my den (not green) with the same technique and liked the look.

Ron

I may have to do some experimenting with a propane torch to see if I can come up with something like that. Its great and will hide a lot of BBQ sauce and other stains....hahaha.

Nice job looks great. Though I am kinda torn on the wood look. Kinda makes it look a little moldy to me otherwise nice. As you'll see not a fan of grillgrates product otherwise nice

Very good restore! That grill will not only last you many years, but now you have all of the necessary knowledge to keep it running tip top!

Back