5ghz wifi adapter

Bcromwell

Does anyone know of a working dual band (5ghz) wifi adapter that works with HM (Or which chipset I should be looking for)? Doesn't appear that the rtl8192cu supports 5ghz.

IDK why we would need or even want 5G for the HM? It's not like we are streaming video on the HM or doing anything else that needs the higher speed of 5G, and the range of 5G is reduced compared to 2.4G. Since the 2.4G speed is more than adequate and the range is further I personally prefer to stick with 2.4G.

IDK why we would need or even want 5G for the HM? It's not like we are streaming video on the HM or doing anything else that needs the higher speed of 5G, and the range of 5G is reduced compared to 2.4G. Since the 2.4G speed is more than adequate and the range is further I personally prefer to stick with 2.4G.

In some places, 2.4 is super cluttered and the extended range of 2.4 makes things worse as you have a lot of devices trying to step on each other.

While it would be nice to have a 5G adapter option, I don't see a real need for it unless your wanting to shutdown 2.4G in your realm.

The 2.4G Edimax adapter has worked great for me except for the hiccup with V14 driver. No complaints on range or connectivity, and speed is a non-issue. Very dependable running with a 40Mhz channel width. I don't get why people don't like a USB dongle. I mean there are already 3 or 4 wires dangling from the HM, a little USB dongle is not even noticed.

Although, if a cheap 5G adapter existed I would definitely give it a try, but I don't think I'd notice any difference in performance.

The 5G band is more crowded than you think. There are still plenty of consumer electronics devices that use that band. I recently used a spectrum analyzer and was amazed at what was out there.

I guess the crowded 2.4G band is one valid reason... Personally I am good with and prefer 2.4G for my location due to the extended range, but I guess options are always good.

Back