Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weber briquettes vs. Kingsford

I am going to be very interested in the responses. I have used Green Egg (which I hear is made by Royal Oak) and I have used Cowboy. Also used something I get at Winn-Dixie that says it is oak. I can't really say I have noticed any significant difference. I have since picked up some B&B hickory lump at WalMart (good deal) and ordered and received Quebracho from Home Depot (rather pricey). I haven't tried these new acquisitions yet. If you base it on their website, the B&B looks like a good possibility. The Quebracho from South America seems to be a love it or hate it proposition. Some people say it smells strange and others say it has the perfect BBQ smell I am looking forward to trying myself.
    Genesis 330-SE Genesis Silver C Q3200 Q1200 Performer 1 green kettle. Projects: Genesis Skyline 4000 one redhead and one maroon Genesis 1000 Summit 650.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Tofte View Post
    I am going to be very interested in the responses. I have used Green Egg (which I hear is made by Royal Oak) and I have used Cowboy. Also used something I get at Winn-Dixie that says it is oak. I can't really say I have noticed any significant difference. I have since picked up some B&B hickory lump at WalMart (good deal) and ordered and received Quebracho from Home Depot (rather pricey). I haven't tried these new acquisitions yet. If you base it on their website, the B&B looks like a good possibility. The Quebracho from South America seems to be a love it or hate it proposition. Some people say it smells strange and others say it has the perfect BBQ smell I am looking forward to trying myself.
    Jon, when you try the B&B please post your thoughts as I saw it for the first time today at Wally World, very reasonable. I'd like your thoughts before I take the leap.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    The Naked Whiz has reviews on a lot of different lump charcoal brands.
    Sadly, many of them are dated, one bag samples, and may not reflect current production or actual user experience.
    If you can get Rockwood it's a bit pricey, but very good.
    Lots of folks are happy with Royal Oak lump, but for me it's hit or miss.
    One bag of Cowboy turned me away from trying another.

If you are new to lump, watch out for uncarbonized pieces, they can put up a stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    OK, glad I found this thread. I must be doing something wrong.

Recently purchased a WSM 22. I use the Weber briquettes (also from Lowes @ $11.99). I filled the the ring with Weber briquettes to the top, lit 25 briquettes in the chimney and poured it on top once, and also created a pit in the middle and put them in that way a second time, adding a couple of chunks of wood at this point, filled the water tray(w water), let it stabalize, and cooked Beef Ribs once and wings once. Both the top and bottom shelf.

Both times, I got a good Low n Slow 250 degrees, however, all the charcoal was done by 5hrs. I had to add lit coals to keep the temp( which was a real problem for me.)
    I live in New York. Temp was < 60 degrees outside. all vents were 100% open most of the time.

1. What am I doing wrong?
    2. If I am starting to loose heat, can I just add unlit charcoals to the ring or do they need to be lit?
    3. does Lump Charcoal last longer than Briquettes? How is Royal Oak? I see that around at Restaurant depot in huge bags

TIA
    Since there were no replies to this, I will throw you some thoughts...I have a WSM 18 that I use all the time. I can get a 10-12hr smoke out of one full started chimney and then 1 and 1/2 unlits briquettes (Kingsford or Weber). Put the lit ones on 1/2 of the ring and then the unlit on the other half and they touch along the middle. Throw some wood chunks on top of the lit coals. I suspect you had great air flow to get that much heat with a full water pan, but all your coals heated the water and burned out. To burn that much coal that fast it has to have a lot of air. I don't use ANY water in the pan...I use coal volume and vents to control the heat. Sometimes with the 18" I have to flip the ash door and prop it open an inch with some bbq tongs to get enough air flow to get the smoker over 250F. (that's in the winter with all vents wide open. In the summer it's vent adjacent to the lit coals wide open, other 2 1/2 open and top wide open.
    You don't have to light the coals before putting them in as long as you have a good bed already going. One thing to watch out for is the chalky dust that kicks up when you disturb the coal bed.
    18.5" WSM & Genesis EP-330 Steel Gray & 2017 Red Weber Limited Edition (contest winner )

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    OK, glad I found this thread. I must be doing something wrong.

Recently purchased a WSM 22. I use the Weber briquettes (also from Lowes @ $11.99). I filled the the ring with Weber briquettes to the top, lit 25 briquettes in the chimney and poured it on top once, and also created a pit in the middle and put them in that way a second time, adding a couple of chunks of wood at this point, filled the water tray(w water), let it stabalize, and cooked Beef Ribs once and wings once. Both the top and bottom shelf.

Both times, I got a good Low n Slow 250 degrees, however, all the charcoal was done by 5hrs. I had to add lit coals to keep the temp( which was a real problem for me.)
    I live in New York. Temp was < 60 degrees outside. all vents were 100% open most of the time.

1. What am I doing wrong?
    2. If I am starting to loose heat, can I just add unlit charcoals to the ring or do they need to be lit?
    3. does Lump Charcoal last longer than Briquettes? How is Royal Oak? I see that around at Restaurant depot in huge bags

TIA
    1. If you have all the vents open and can only get to 250, something is wrong. Couldn't tell you without seeing it, but I have the bottom vents open about the width of a nickel and the top vent open all the way for 250. Maybe your thermometer is off and you're really cooking at a much higher temp, which would reduce burn time. Put an oven thermometer on the cooking grate and see if it reads the same as the WSM thermometer. Maybe you have an air flow problem (although that usually causes problems regulating temps). When you are through cooking, close all the vents and see how long it takes the fire to die. If it doesn't die until all the coals are spent, check for air leaks. Start with hot water and only 10-12 lit briquettes and see if you get more cook time. I gave my bil a modded Brinkmann that I could get 10+ hours from and he could only get 7. The only difference was he started with cold water and more lit coals.
    2. They don't have to be lit unless the fire is completely out.
    3. I don't find that lump lasts longer than briquettes. RO is OK.
    Last edited by Lew; 05-10-2018 at 11:59 AM.
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers...and stuff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12