Down sized to 14.5...initial observations

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Hey guys, I can't believe after 10+ years, I sold my 18.5 WSM. By the way it cost me $6 a year!
Anyway, I did a break-in burn today. I put a layer to a layer and a half of Kingsford in the ring and added 1/2 weber chimney of lit coals.
Initialy, It ran wide open for a few hours at 300*. Next I closed the bottom vents to 1/3 open to see how it ran. It almost stayed at 300, then edged down to 275 after almost 5 hours. soon it dropped to 250.
I separated the cooker, It still had more than a few coals left. To my surprise, the ash was basically up to the charcoal grate.
So I wonder what would this look like if I had packed the ring full ???
The only two mods I did was the wire the charcoal ring and grate together and run stainless wire across the charcoal grate at a 90* angle to hold small lump in the grate.

So to those with experience I ask:

Should I pull the heat defector out?

Should I not overfill the charcoal ring?

Should I convert to lump ?

Thanks for your valued input.

Good to hear from you Steve.
I really like my 14.5 and rarely use my 18.5 now days.

The inside heat deflector is not really needed, and will give a little more room for ash.
I think the added stainless wire is not letting the ashes fall through very well.
I would only use it with lump, and lump will produce much less ash.

Hi Bob---thanks for the words of wisdom. Despite having been a devoted Kingsford user, I had considered the move to lump based on what I had read before my purchase.
Thanks for your wisdom! I can't wait to get two butts smoking.

What is your experience with lump and two butts? How long a cook can you reliably get?

Steve,
I did pull the internal heat shield out of mine and it did help with ash. This is what I did with the heat shield: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?63948-More-room-for-ash-14-5&highlight=Internal+heat+shield

I don’t use lump, only KBB in my 14.5. I load it up to the brim, pull out 10-12 briquettes from the center and light those. With the heat shield out I can get about 9 hours at 275-300*.

I have all three sizes and the 14 gets the most use hands down.

I like my little 14.5 WSM :)
I still use the heat shield. It doesn't take up much space and it was there.
Whether it does help as a heat shield, I don't even know. My WSM stands on the grass, and the grass doesn't burn, so I suppose it does.
It also collects most of the grease when I cook without a waterpan and it's easier to clean than the whole bottom section, so I keep it in.
For what it's worth: I use lump charcoal that we buy on the side of the road

Wow-you buy lump on the side of the road!
I find smoke wood like peach off the road at orchards.
Its interesting that you cook without a water pan and drip on the fire, a few people seem to like that too.

First cook report:
5lb. chicken on top...cooked 3 1/2 hours at 275*
8lb. butt on the bottom, then moved to top grate. Cooked at 250* for the balance a of 9 hours.
Foiled butt and finished in oven at 300*---it was getting dark and just easier to go to the oven.

I'm very impressed with the ease of use of the 14.5.
I really like the light weight.'
Miserly fuel use is a big benefit over time.

For those who like to set and forget, I had two surprises.
#1 charcoal door fell open in first 30 min of the cook. I believe thats operator error!

#2 the dish the chicken was in shifted and the top grate tilted til the chicken rested against the cooker on an angle.
My guess is the black lab got a nose full with the door open and nudged the cooker, shifting the chicken...

I am pleased I bought the 14.5- a nice cooker for a few ppl

What is your experience with lump and two butts? How long a cook can you reliably get?

Looking for feedback on a two butt cook in a 14.5. I have a two pack in the freezer I want to do and I’ve never done anything that large on mine. And, I’ve never used the bottom grate. Thinking I will load them up and if I have problems, I will shift to the oven once they get some smokey goodness. What’s a long cook on a 14.5? 8 hours or so?

Jerry,
I’ve done 2, nine pound butts on my 14. With the heat shield out I was able to get nine hours out of it with a full load of KBB. Cooked at ~250 had to add coals for the last hour and a half. Temps were hard to maintain after I reloaded due to ash build up.

I've had a 14WSM for a while and just recently got a 18WSM. It might be the novelty of it, but I am so impressed with the 18WSM right now.

Steve, I cook on a 14.5", use only lump, have the heat deflector in place and never had a single problem with ash. In fact, my cooker goes over 10 hours with a single load and it's easy to add some more coal throwing in the door. Did 13-14 hour cooks with it already, and still had lots of place for ashes. I definetely suggest trying to cook with lump in the 14, you might even find the food tastier at the end - I do!

Back