How close can you get without copyright infringement?

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I just received a "King Kong" grill cover from Amazon that I bought for a SS Peformer (blue;)) that I picked up. The Amazon ad didn't show the packaging, but when it arrived at my door I did a double-take. I thought I had received a Weber item. I happened to still have the empty box from a Weber cover for the Performer, so here is a side-by-side comparison of the packaging:

95uf68.jpg

I am sure it makes the corporate people at Weber go ape when they see this King Kong box! Of course, BOTH are made in China, so what can you say:confused:

As far as the cover itself, they are different. The King Kong one has a slicker outside that would seem to be possibly more water repellent. I don't know about longevity, but another member reports good success with his King Kong. My Weber one is getting dry and brittle, so I was willing to try something else for a lot less $.

One bad thing, the covers for the newer Performers aren't long enough to ideally fit on the old first generation stainless Performer.

I have a King Kong cover for my genesis 2000 it's over two years old and still looks like new. In the Arizona sun Weber covers are good for about a year or so, I'm very happy with KK so far.
Well the Chinese have never given a rats petunia about copyright's so it figures.

The Weber cover for my Performer is over 2 years old and still looks great. It is on my back patio, uncovered in the Texas heat. I have been impressed with it so far.

Amazon has a lot of issue. One of the biggest is selling knock offs. They say they are doing something about it but I seriously doubt it. As to kk, I see no reason why they think they need to "copy" the box.

I had the weber covers for my genesis and wsm...both cracked/crumbled in the first year. I switched to the beige Classic Accesories Veranda series covers for all my grills. They have a 2 year warranty against tears/rips...so just take a picture of any tiny rip just before the warranty is up and you get a free new one...so you can get at least 4 years out of it...I've had one for nearly 5.

Back