Thread: The wonderful hunk of meat stall

The wonderful hunk of meat stall

No matter how many things I smoke, the stall always takes me through a roller coaster. Yes I knew it was coming. Yes the meat will sit near the same temperature for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours. Maybe it will even drop a few degrees. No the world isn't ending. Yes the meat is going to be amazing (pastrami in this case). On and on and on.

Thought I'd share my roller coaster of bbq-motions this morning. I like to power through instead of crutching, so this will be life. It's just like in a movie where you favorite character is about to get off'd but their plot armor is too strong for them to be killed off.

Anyway. Just thought I'd throw it out there since it's the first smoke of the season. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Eddy0; 03-31-2018 at 06:25 AM. Reason: spelling

I'm too old to have patience for that anymore, so if I do wait it out as opposed to wrapping (which is fairly often) I at least smoke at higher pit temps these days than when I first started.

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Sorry Fletch,
    I’m old enough to not worry about NOT having the patience, haha.
    I figure the moment I remember to resign myself to the stall I just mix a cocktail and wait or go on about doing something like cleaning the garage. Well. That might be a bit extreme but, you get the idea.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

I have to worry about falling asleep if the stall is too long. And if I start mixing drinks I have to worry about posting something stupid, lol.

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Well. You have a point there I suppose!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I hear ya. That stall can be brutal. I've had some really bad ones with a brisket I was going to serve to guests. Sometimes you have to make decisions on the fly such as whether or not to up the heat or wrap when you normally don't wrap.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    I hate the stall as I usually can't make a decision as to wrap or not. I know it's coming and it will last forever. My patience level is -100% now and I start muttering to myself and what usually happens is Barb will say "Quit your blabbering and wrap it" I do and the world is good again.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Bump up the temps and quit playin' around.

Every meat I cook has at least a grate temp of 275.

Some more, some wrapped (some not).
    26.75" x 2, Vintage 22", 22.5", 18.5", 14.5"

It spent about 6 hours in the stall and lost 6 degrees during, and then it took another 2.5 hours to hit 190. Probe went in like butter at 195, and it was the best pastrami I've ever tasted. This was one of the longest stalls and biggest temperature drops I've run into, so I am curious if the week long cure was the cause. Other briskets usually have 3-4 and at most a 5 hour stall, but those are just dry brined plus a rub.

Yea, props to you folks who wait it out. I quit taking internal temps awhile ago and just go with my instincts.
    If I have x amount of meat that has to be done in x amount of time I'll bump up the temps and foil as long as it's ready for supper.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!