The wonderful hunk of meat stall

Eddy0

No matter how many things I smoke, the stall always takes me through a roller coaster. Yes I knew it was coming. Yes the meat will sit near the same temperature for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours. Maybe it will even drop a few degrees. No the world isn't ending. Yes the meat is going to be amazing (pastrami in this case). On and on and on.

Thought I'd share my roller coaster of bbq-motions this morning. I like to power through instead of crutching, so this will be life. It's just like in a movie where you favorite character is about to get off'd but their plot armor is too strong for them to be killed off.

Anyway. Just thought I'd throw it out there since it's the first smoke of the season. Enjoy.

Last edited:
I'm too old to have patience for that anymore, so if I do wait it out as opposed to wrapping (which is fairly often) I at least smoke at higher pit temps these days than when I first started.

Sorry Fletch,
I’m old enough to not worry about NOT having the patience, haha.
I figure the moment I remember to resign myself to the stall I just mix a cocktail and wait or go on about doing something like cleaning the garage. Well. That might be a bit extreme but, you get the idea.

I have to worry about falling asleep if the stall is too long. And if I start mixing drinks I have to worry about posting something stupid, lol.

I hear ya. That stall can be brutal. I've had some really bad ones with a brisket I was going to serve to guests. Sometimes you have to make decisions on the fly such as whether or not to up the heat or wrap when you normally don't wrap.

I hate the stall as I usually can't make a decision as to wrap or not. I know it's coming and it will last forever. My patience level is -100% now and I start muttering to myself and what usually happens is Barb will say "Quit your blabbering and wrap it" I do and the world is good again.

It spent about 6 hours in the stall and lost 6 degrees during, and then it took another 2.5 hours to hit 190. Probe went in like butter at 195, and it was the best pastrami I've ever tasted. This was one of the longest stalls and biggest temperature drops I've run into, so I am curious if the week long cure was the cause. Other briskets usually have 3-4 and at most a 5 hour stall, but those are just dry brined plus a rub.
5hy7o07on

Yea, props to you folks who wait it out. I quit taking internal temps awhile ago and just go with my instincts.
If I have x amount of meat that has to be done in x amount of time I'll bump up the temps and foil as long as it's ready for supper.

Tim

Back