Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
This is the 4th time I've cooked this recipe. We love it at our house.

The rub.

RSGup1Z.jpg

Bird goes for a spin in the 18.5. Apple and cherry for smoke. KBB for fire.

ecAytz0.jpg

Ready to pull. The breast measures 170* internal temp.

c8k1FZd.jpg

Time to eat!

eSXQkVa.jpg

Delish.

A few changes for this cook: am still horsing around with the Hunsaker firebasket clone, checking out the Meater and cooked at 350* vs 450*.

I'm starting to like the firebasket. The grease dripping off the chicken burning on the diffuser gives the meat a great flavor.

One issue with using the Meater is that I still have to have a probe to monitor pit temp until the meat is placed in the cooker. Not a problem, just never thought about it before.
For some reason the Meater was seeing pit temp 30* or so below what the probe (Thermoworks Smoke) was registering. Possibly because it rotates with the chicken and is shielded from bottom heat 1/2 the time? Dunno. I really like the range of the Meater when linked to wifi. I can watch TV while dinner is cooking on the other side of the house - about 3 rooms away. It also updates the eta of the meat as the cook progresses which is a nice feature.

Cooked at 350* this time. Last cook (undocumented) was 450 - 500* and the skin became a little too carbonato. 350* sure increases cooking time. The skin was not crisp but it wasn't rubbery, either. The meat sure was juicy & tender. Next time, will go for 400*.

recipe:

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/peruvian-style-spit-roasted-chicken-green-sauce/

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/green-sauce/

Last edited:
Hit me, hit me several times!!! That looks amazing!
What is in the rub Robert? I have GOT to do that soon, I love spinning birds!
Also, the sauce?

Last edited:
Love the looks of that bird! Is it a spicy (heat wise) rub & sauce? Got a link?

Thanks, Len. It's spicy, but not tear your head off. Fantastic flavor. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 3. Next time, I'm going to include the seeds from 1 of the jalapenos in the green sauce. I think it could use a bit more of a kick.

Tks for the edit. Doesn't look like it'll happen any time soon though--those pastes are definitly not available here.

Looks just as lovely as the first post Robert. I think I like the sauce better on the bird than on the side. Beautiful plate!

Won't ship to us. Whether it's because it's "food" or they don't want the hassle of border paperwork (amaz dot com). In fairness, there were 4 sellers but I just checked the first one. Not avail on amaz dot ca

Won't ship to us. Whether it's because it's "food" or they don't want the hassle of border paperwork (amaz dot com). In fairness, there were 4 sellers but I just checked the first one. Not avail on amaz dot ca

Hi Len,

If you don't have any sources for these things in your region and still want to get some, try the store I used. Maybe they will ship.

http://unimarket.ca/

I went to the North store.

Thanks Len,
I didn’t think about cross border shipping as the stuff comes from outside the US in the first place, there has to be a Canadian distributor for those products.

You'd be surprised at what we don't get. Demand would be too low for certain items so it's not profitable. Chinese and Indian are big, others not so much. Some stores cater to tastes, just have to find them.

For example, tamale pots do not exist (at least around here). Was looking for one when pot conversions (on this site) were a big thing for creating a bigger WSM (or was it to make your own vortex? Don't remember). Last summer? Gave up on that idea.

Yeah, I see that here too, some things you can find by the bucket load others, three hour drive to find what you need! I can’t find decent Thai anything around here, not terribly interesting Chinese either. It’s often more about the hunt than the finding though.

Funny you mention Chinese: local restaurant we always bought from. Problem is their prices go up 10% every year and the meat component (quantity) per dish declines every year. Make your own!! It"s super easy.

Back