2004 Genesis Silver - unknown modification - help identify?

Matthew K

Hello folks - I just picked up this 2004 genesis silver for pretty cheap from a local thrift store. I am trying to figure out the purpose of this red knob that was attached. It doesn't appear to be connected to anything and I can pull it straight out. Any ideas? Conversion kit? Kids play knob? I've linked two photos, one is the underside. :confused: Thanks!

H8OAn9v.jpg

xx2prVr.jpg

My guess is it was some kind of Rube Goldberg invention the PO rigged to turn off the propane tank

Looks like you have a very good condition grill there aside from the "mod". I agree that it is probably some kind of cutoff for the fuel supply. If you don't really like it, just look for a donor grill and steal that one to replace it.

Thanks y'all -- based on these comments and some others I've had in person, I think it's decided, that as L.M.'s reply, it's the "too lazy to bend over" valve, or perhaps the PO had medical problems bending over... the grill seems to be in great shape and has definitely been well cared for. Appreciate everyone's comments, especially the one about the awesome valve -- it'll be cooking wide open for the most awesome... I'll probably make sound effects too... Now to see if I can re-engineer this... :):cool:

To be honest, I think it could be a very convenient modification, I wonder if he had some kind of wrench extension bar connected to the hub of the tank knob? If you take it out, you could cover it with some kind of interesting coin or badge but...
“We don’t need no steenkin’ badges!”

It could be the grill was hooked up to some type of bulk propane supply and this was just a convenient place to put a shutoff valve. Prior to getting NG installed to my deck I had a bulk set up twin 100lb tanks with regulator at the tanks and a copper line leading to a valve bolted to my deck rail. Perhaps the PO had this and mounted the cutoff valve for it right on the grill

Back