Slow N Sear

I am using a 26 inch kettle,do ribs ,meatloaf, burgers most of the time. What do you guys think of the Slow N Sear for doing pork buts and beef roast? How long of cook do you get with it. Thanks:cool:

I was considering one, but I think I'm going to save my money. I have been able to do long cooks on my 26er using the snake method. I'm not saying the Slow N Sear doesn't do everything it claims to do, I'm just saying you can do the long cooks without it.

Try this for low and slow cooks.

For searing I dismantled two of my old Weber baskets.

While there's no arguing that Pat is correct, I love my Slow n' Sear.

I use the original SnS in my 26er all the time. (It was the only available at the time.) The only thing I have not done on it is a brisket. My only caution would be to be aware that I have not been able to replicate advertised cook times without adding more fuel. I can usually get about 6 hours, running at ±250º.

Obviously, getting the XL would increase that time, but adding fuel is a breeze, so I don't consider it an issue.

BD

My post office guy is a fellow fan of the kettle and has a 26” his wife got him an S&S for Christmas, he has sung the praises of how well it’s worked for him every visit since New Year’s Day! I see how the thing could be just a super easy piece of equipment to get used to, there’s one on my list!

That’s why I don’t have a 26” I’ve got both 18 & 22 kettles and WSMs so, I’m not actively looking for any more unless the price is right. The P.O. guy, doesn’t have a WSM so, I understand his delight with the unit.

But why bother with the SnS , just go to the WSM ???

This is why my 26" SnS sits idle. I had a habit of buying toys. I used it a couple times and thought "that's nice," then started using one of my WSM's again. It works as advertised and includes a simple pamphlet with several simple burn methods and recipes. But once you pull the wealth of knowledge from various helpful sites (like Pat G's suggestion above) I hold the opinion you can do without one if that's what you would prefer to be able to do.

I've owned Kettles and WSM's for about 2.5 years and--right now--all I feel I really need to run them is a remote thermo, Vortex, and a Kettle roti.

Well heck; for the few times when I do an overnight smoke I do really, really like the aid of my ATC. But I do not use one during daytime smokes.

I suffer from”gizmosis” something awful, I find a “useful” tool and most of the time they become wall decoration, I would like to borrow a S&S for a month or so before I bought one to see how where it’s strong points are and where the shortcomings are as well.
I’m not running out and buying anything in the equipment range other than maybe an extra set of tongs until fall, I need MEAT and charcoal, that’s about it.

Don’t feel bad that you don’t USE it, be glad that you bought THEIRS! Buying is the support, using is a choice which we can all exercise as we, as individuals, find the spirit so moved.
You did your part, you bought from the right folks, as I intend to if and when I buy one just like a Vortex from Owens, buy the real thing, from the real manufacturer, support the folks who put the time into it!
Just my opinion.

I've been using my 22 Kettle for baby backs, although I'm far from a First Timer, I've really enjoyed Steven Raichlen's First Timer ribs , here

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/first-timers-ribs/

He sets up the Kettle with coals on both sides and ribs down the middle. I'm not using a SnS, but been piling the coals on one side, using the Weber rails to hold them in place. But the results have been good. These ribs have great flavor and done in a little over 1 1/2 hours, and without the cleanup of using my WSM.

But .......... I'm having trouble with temp consistency in the Kettle. Raichlen says 325 to 350 , I run the Kettle wide open and sometimes I'm in that temp range, and sometimes I'm not. The other day the cook was mostly well over 350.

And these higher cook temps make the " done window " on these ribs, very small. Its real easy to overcook them, like I did the other day.

I'm goin back to the WSM and cooking longer and slower. Maybe I could do that with the snake method on the 22 Kettle, but really, if I'm goin to that much trouble, I'll just go with the WSM.

There’s a bakery down the street that makes stollen, I’m not fond of it but, I don’t think anyone has stolen that recipe.
Just pokin’ at you Fletch!
I know exactly what you guys mean, finding the guys who have actually put the effort into the R&D can be a bit of effort but, I feel better when the right folks get their due!
Good design takes time and thought and deserves recognition.

It happens to me all the time!
Thank God that grilling is generally a non verbal activity!
“More heat”
“Less heat”
“More smoke”
“More beer”
“Eat!”

Back