Hongso Flavorizer Bars

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Hey I have this Spirit 500 I picked up to gift to a pastor friend of mine (trying to pay it forward for my e-ticket up LOL) anyway I don't want to drop a load of $$$ on it but the original bars are pretty well gone. I see Hongso stainless ones https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Gas-Gr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 bars on FLeBay for like $27 delivered so curious if anyone has gotten them or should I maybe try to hold out for the oem porcelain ones?
In searching I find some on Amazon even cheaper rated pretty well too. May just go with something from Amazon I found for $22 with Prime free shipping too. Then I can give him a nice little grill

Last edited:
I would go for off brand stainless over the porcelain coated bars. The stainless as long as it's solid stainless should be way more durable.

I have bought from this company and they sell quality stuff. The stainless bars are $37 for that Spirit.

https://www.bbqparts.com/spirit500.html

Larry, check to see if they list the thickness of the stainless. I have found a couple of those REALLY cheap sets in grills I have grabbed for rehabed and they have clearly warped due to being too thin. They were all wavy. I would look for at least 18 gauge. Most of the cheapo aftermarket will be 20 gauge. I think RCPLanebuyer are 16 gauge. I know you are trying to cut costs since you won't be making your money back, but you don't want to donate a grill and have it unusable after just a few cooks.
I believe Honsgo are 20ga. And the Onlyfire are also 20ga

These are a little more, but will probably last a lot longer than the Honsgo: https://www.bbqparts.com/spirit500.html
And they are made in the USA :) Not China.

Oh, and they are 304 SS instead of 410 SS for the Honsgo and Onlyfire.

Good information, Greg & Bruce. I might be in the market for some two-burner parts for one of my rehabs. Just like Larry, if I am just trying to flip, for this lower-price grill I wouldn't be willing to go for the all-out rcplanebuyer treatment. (I do think his 13 bar set on a really nice Genesis could help raise the selling price to an astute buyer.) The bbqparts.com seems to be a good compromise, especially for Made in USA 304 SS.

Here is another cheap alternative for rehabbing a Spirit that I was eyeing on eBay. Made in China. (Some of the wording sounds like Google translate.) The flavorizers look thin, and I suspect would be of lower quality. It still is hard to ignore for the price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-Weber-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

p.s. Expect to see stainless parts go up significantly in price:eek:. The import tariffs have already raised the price of metal roof materials here in Florida by 25%:mad:!

Yah, Jon, that is a great price for burners and flavo bars...but I wouldn't buy them for my personal grill. I would be worried that a buyer would get ****ed if his rehabbed grill bars warped the first time he used them. It's not really like I am a business with a rep to uphold, but I wouldn't want to sell a nice grill and a cheapo set of bars ruin all that work.

If I could see some good reviews, that would be different.

Yeah I don't need burners as the burners in this grill are in outstanding shape. It actually looks hardly used. Seems the OEM bars simply rusted away from age more than use as where they are not rusted they are still shiny clean. I think maybe I gave a little too much for this grill ($35 included an empty tank) but it was at the time the only reasonable 2 burner in a reasonable distance to me
20v0ua0.jpg
I told him it will be coming to him soon and he's really excited. So I really don't want to be a cheapskate but since basically it seems every major appliance has been breaking down in my house at one time I am VERY short on funds (without dipping into investments) so these sub $25 sets look awfully good to me. They all seem to be 20ga btw. and while I am sure $40 is a good price for a heavier set I'm already on thin ice with the Capo de Capo (she might break my knee caps :D so I am thinking a $22 set from Amazon Prime is in my future

That's cool Larry. I will be interested to hear what you think of them when you get them. That grill looks pretty good for $35 IMO. The red looks like a nice deep red.

Yeah it's that brick red color Weber used to have. I got these https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B017RK88D6/tvwb-20 and with my Amazon Rewards for $17.55 so I figure they have good reviews they're 20 ga 410 SS and should last at least as long as the OEM porcelain ones. I am sure once installed my friend and his wife will be very happy with the grill. At least I hope so.
I need a set too for the Silver B I picked up for $20 last fall. But I have some that were custom made from 16ga 304SS by a metal guy my dad is friends with (but sadly he has since retired). They were originally custom made to turn a 2 row Genesis into a 1 row so I will see if I can custom fit those into my Silver B and they should be good for a lifetime (which at the rate I am falling apart who knows LOL)

Larry, That is a SHARP:cool: two-burner!

The color looks somewhere between "redhead" red and the maroon Genesis I posted about a while back. I will be very interested in seeing what you think of the Amazon bars after you get them. At least the ones you picked have good reviews and are 18ga. The ones I referenced on eBay look a lot more, as my son loves to say, sketchy...

I am hoping to do a two-burner restore in my long pile of projects and I am sure others are interested as well. Please do keep us posted on how it comes out.

I am not sure that they are really 18ga. The title says 20ga and it looks like the seller may have simply copy and pasted a description from somewhere else.

Here is from Q/A on the listing:
Question: What gauge or thickness is the actual product? Title says 20ga, description says 18ga. Which one is correct?
Answer: I wondered also - when the product came it was 20ga - they are good!
By Caffeina et Vino on May 9, 2017

Good sharp observation, Bruce!

Well, you would think that if they were so bad that they warped with little use there would be a bunch of negative feedback...Maybe these are at least a little better than some others.

It is challenging when you are trying to keep the total investment in line to balance quality and price. I was on eBay and happened to look at RC's stainless bar grates for the Genesis/Spirit 2-burner grills. Gorgeous, superb stainless craftsmanship, but for a "cheaper" grill $150 just for the grates is tough to handle. I know he would probably do a little better directly, but... Now, if this was a "lifer" grill for my own use, that would definitely be the class way to go. But to re-sell at a moderate price - or like I seem to all the time - give away, "That dog don't hunt;)!"

Seems restoring one of these smaller grills cost-effectively is an interesting challenge.

Last edited:
I agree jon. I would never go with the lifetime RCPlanebuyer grates and Flavo bars for a donated or resell grill. I would just hate to put something in that fell apart in one summer. There are good reviews on the Amazon listing for those Honsgo Flavo bars. The only problem that I see there is most people are posting their reviews after just one month or so.
I would love to find a nice cheap source for some decent Flavo Bars and cooking grates. It would save having to try to clean up the ones that come in the rehab grills and people always love to see shiny new Stainless in that nice cleaned out grill.

And then there are GrillGrates...

In my last post I lamented the $150 eBay cost for rcplanebuyer stainless bar grates. THESE ARE SUPERB grates that will last practically a life-time, I fully agree.

I had to go and look, though, to see what the GrillGrates option would cost. A full set designed to REPLACE (not rest on top) for the Genesis/older Spirit 2-burner grills goes for $97.96. They do, occasionally have sales, so if you are patient you could probably do a little better.

https://www.grillgrate.com/replacement-grill-grates-for-15-weber-genesis/

I have to admit that I am having a hard time finding fault with the GrillGrates I am trying out on my Genesis Silver C:

2m6vgk2.jpg

30vjbq9.jpg

If you don't like the black grill marks, all you have to do is back off from the full-heat that I used. I personally like them as long as the meat is still moist as this latest cook definitely was. (I have yet to actually dry out anything using these grates even though I tend to cook medium-well.)

Last edited:
Gotta have grill marks or it ain't grillin'.

I contacted RCPlanebuyer earlier today about a set of his cooking grates for my Genesis 1000. Just waiting to hear back on where to send the Paypal payment. I already have his flavo bars and I figure with the SS grates, I am set for a good ten years. They might even outlast the grill. hahaha.

How much are the grill grates for a genesis 1000 or Silver B? I am sure they are more than for a 2 burner.

Gotta have grill marks or it ain't grillin'.

I contacted RCPlanebuyer earlier today about a set of his cooking grates for my Genesis 1000. Just waiting to hear back on where to send the Paypal payment. I already have his flavo bars and I figure with the SS grates, I am set for a good ten years. They might even outlast the grill. hahaha.

How much are the grill grates for a genesis 1000 or Silver B? I am sure they are more than for a 2 burner.

Bruce,

These are the ones I bought $111.96 +shipping at regular price. (I waited for a sale):

https://www.grillgrate.com/replacement-grill-grates-for-weber-spirit-300-and-older-genesis/

This set fits very well; they include one single bar to make the fit all the way across. It leaves just a very small amount of breathing space in each side. That is probably a very good thing for heat venting, and it also allows you to see that the burners lit. I personally think once they season to black (pretty quick) that they look really sharp in a Weber. Just an opinion, of course, and I do also love the look of seasoned cast iron. I received my sheet of perforated aluminum, so soon after tax season I will be getting things ready to try all these options including the "LarryGrates" idea.

Well so my $17.55 Flavorizer bars came today from Amazon and I must say I am VERY pleased. I would have to say they are at least the equivalent of Weber OEM (which would have come from China and been 410/430 SS anyway) and they would have been MUCH more $$$$. So I do not feel badly buying these. I am impressed how well made they are, nicely finished, rounded corners, nice radius on the bend. Overall damn nice product!
2edb8g7.jpg

34dg7s8.jpg

554k9k.jpg

23wqgld.jpg

Thanks for that review Larry. Drop them in your grill and fire it up for a half hour on full and see if they hold up good. It looks like they would be able to handle it from the pictures. A good source for some of my rehab grills maybe.

BTW: They just went up to $22.99 today.

Last edited:
Yeah they were $22.99 but I had a $5.xx reward coupon from Amazon so I redeemed it for them bringing it down to the $17.55. And another nice touch was each bar is individually plastic wrapped too. Really I don't think I could have bought even cheap bare steel and made them. I see no reason to think they won't hold up. I am gonna check them out on Monday. If all is well I hope to gift the grill Wednesday night when we meet for bible study.
Buona Pasqua all!

Back