Large Turkey?

Scot H

I went to grocery yesterday, and the only whole turkeys they had were very large (over 20 lbs). I bought the smallest one, 21.5 lbs. Fresh turkey, not frozen.

Was planning to salt & smoke.

Any guidance, tips, warnings, etc?

I'm sure it will take a long time!

Here is what the Honeysuckle White Chat line told me:

225°F 8-12 hours

Cook the turkey to internal temperatures of 175° F to 180° F in the thigh and 165° F in the breast.

It’s fresh, never frozen so, it’s not the “ Hoenysuckle White” brand?
Has it been injected?
I agree with Chris, too low and too high.
Skin won’t be crispy at that kind of temperature.
I still like mine on the kettle best, different procedure.
I use the old Weber technique.

Thanks all for info. Label shows Honeysuckle White, and it was in the refrigerated section. Maybe previously frozen?
"Basted with approximately 3% of turkey broth, salt..."

Timothy - what is the kettle "old Weber technique". I also have a Weber kettle I could use (and a Weber gas)

Appreciate the help.

So, I have serious doubt about it’s “fresh” status other than being kept at an “almost frozen but, not quite” state.
Don’t worry about that, it will be fabulous!
Just sent you a PM with my method.
Have a delightful Easter feast!
Turkey, dressing on the side, all the good stuff that holiday feasting demands!

Should be there pretty shortly I’d assume,
Just cleaned out some old mail from there too
Should be clear by now.
Must have gotten lost, or there was an issue of “operator error” on my end, just re composed the message.

Last edited:
BRINE -- BRINE -- BRINE.

Put a large (Gallon) bag of ice on the breast for 30-45 minutes before cooking so the breast cooks at the same rate as the thigh and legs. It will not take 8-12 hours to cook. At 275 I'd guess around 5 hours.

Good luck and post pics.

My approach with turkey has always been to just use the smoker like an oven. I shoot for 325F. At a low temp the skin comes out flabby and, frankly, kind of disgusting. Last Thanksgiving I had a lot of trouble getting the temp up to 325. Eventually I had to prop open the lid to get enough air flow. Worked fine and the turkey was excellent.

I love smoked turkey in the smaller range but for a larger 20# one I would follow the advice above and keep it out of the danger zone.
JMO:)

Tim

Last Thanksgiving, I did two firsts.
#1 I went Green Egg for a cook
#2 I spatchcocked the big bird
this bird was enhanced so I did not brine

I would Rec spatchcock & cook a half on each level
Start Hot and finish around 325

I cook my annual 20+lb Costco turkeys after an overnight brine (salt/sugar), in the kettle for about 3.5 hours. Use an internal thermometer always!

Isn’t separating the halves called “splitting”?
Spatchcock is removing backbone and spreading the whole thing flat.
Chang, that sounds about right to me.

Back