Wsm wheels

Mark Waco

I have been looking all over and see different types of wheels used on many wsm. First thing I think of is heat and melting, then I think of metal wheels.
What type of wheels are you using, what is the material used, and where do you get them?
I'm planning on installing wheels on my wsm 22, I just need to know what kind to use that all or part won't melt.
Thank you for your help, information, and time.
Mark Waco

I've got an 18" WSM and the wheels just don't get that hot, heat isn't worth worrying about. The heat shield does a good job of blocking heat. And with the 22" the wheels are even further away from the cooker than my 18".

I will say this - get the biggest wheels you can. Mine are pretty small, less than 2" diameter, and they just don't roll all that well.

Thank you Duston, I i was thinking more on contact transfer thorough the mounting, I never thought about radation heat transferring to the wheels. If I was to purchase 4in. Shop locking wheels this should work fine?

Yep, should be good to go. I've never touched the legs down at the wheels during a cook, but I don't think they get that hot, they're aluminum so they shed heat pretty fast.

If I were going to put casters on, I think I’d look closely at these. They look like they bind the middle section to the bottom so if you are moving it and hit a pebble, you don’t end up as likely to tip the entire wsm over. Full disclosure, I don’t own these or a wsm right now. I’ve just seen them and thought they looked well made. When I do get another wsm, I think I will opt for some kind of cart. A cart provides a place to set or hang the lid and a shelf to place items. I bought the 22” the other day and it arrived beaten up. Since my Akorn solves the hinge, mobility and shelf problems, I might just keep using it for now.

https://www.cajunbandit.com/Wheel-Kit-With-Cylinder-Lock-Kit-Fits-22-5-WSM-p/22wcl.htm

And I respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement. ;)

The wheelbase under my dolly is larger than the wheelbase of the WSM legs by at least 4" all around. That's exponentially more stable than 3 wheels directly under the legs.

And I respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement. ;)

The wheelbase under my dolly is larger than the wheelbase of the WSM legs by at least 4" all around. That's exponentially more stable than 3 wheels directly under the legs.

Are the legs secured to the dolly? If not I don't see it making any difference - it's still sitting on three legs.

I thought about building a dolly for mine, but then I'd want to attach the legs to the dolly, which would make ash clean up more of a hassle.

I made a dolly out of 1X3s, added 2 1X3 pieces to fill the gaps and screwed a 3/4" plywood platform over the entire thing before bolting the bottom section to it.

So, yes, the legs are bolted to/through the plywood.

I just measured it: 25x30" with 4" wheels rated to hold 300lbs (I believe, each). I haven't weighed it but it is hefty with the bottom being mounted to it. :)

Back