Q220 Flame level...

MattCinMass

Hi - and thanks for taking the time to read this! I have a Q220 from 2013 that I've gotten some great use out of over the years. I run it with a Brinkman 20lb attachment hose and have always had decent performance when using the adapter, but never as good as when using the small tanks. I used my FIL's Q1000 recently, powered by the small tank, and the difference blew me away.

So... That being said, I'm trying to identify if anyone ever actually found a genuine fix for this. I've used the search function :) But it seems the discussion always devolved into the OPD issue - which this is not. I've had that happen and know the difference - my grill eventually gets to full temp but it takes a very long time and, more importantly, recovers reaaaaaaally slowly when you put food on.

I'm willing to spend *some* money to fix this. The burner tube looks good and the grates are still in solid condition, so I'd be focused on the gas delivery system. Honestly, it just seems like the regulator is designed to work with higher pressure coming out of the small tanks...

So. Does anyone with the Q200/220 or similar vintage Q have the same issue and find a good solution? I've looked at replacing the regulator, changing out the connector system between the regulator and the hose, and I've even looked at refilling the 1lb tanks from the 20lb tank (which seems like a disaster waiting to happen...).

Thanks!

Matt,
First off, welcome to the group. When you connect to the 20lb. tank, do you wait a few minutes to let the line fill with gas? I myself recently added the 6' hose to my Q-200 so I could use the larger tanks. I have found that once I connect to the larger tank, I open the valve on the tank and leave the Q in the off position for about 2 minutes or so. I have not noticed a difference in the flames between the small or or large gas tanks since I made the switch. Good luck, I hope this helps.
Tim

Matt,
First off, welcome to the group. When you connect to the 20lb. tank, do you wait a few minutes to let the line fill with gas? I myself recently added the 6' hose to my Q-200 so I could use the larger tanks. I have found that once I connect to the larger tank, I open the valve on the tank and leave the Q in the off position for about 2 minutes or so. I have not noticed a difference in the flames between the small or or large gas tanks since I made the switch. Good luck, I hope this helps.
Tim

Tim,

Thanks for the welcome and the input!

Usual practice for me actually starts when I finish the last cook. I kill the propane at the tank and let it burn itself out. Then shut off the knob on the grill. When I do the next cook, I open the tank slowly and then let it sit for a minute before starting.

All of those things are directed at avoid the OPD valve shutoff.

When I was using the small tank the other day, you could hear the jets. Just a little bit, but there is definitely something different. It's almost as if the little tanks are operating at a higher pressure, or maybe the inside diameter of the adapter hose is too large leading to a drop in pressure?

Remember too the Q2XX is not as powerful per sq inch as the Q1XX or 3XX. My own Q220 if you leave it go on high for a loooooong time can about nudge 500 on the lid thermo either on large or small tank. No different

Remember too the Q2XX is not as powerful per sq inch as the Q1XX or 3XX. My own Q220 if you leave it go on high for a loooooong time can about nudge 500 on the lid thermo either on large or small tank. No different

So I did a little digging and it looks like the Q1xx/Q2xx/Q3xx have, respectively, 45/43/55 btu/sq in, so the Q2xx should be cranking along at the same rate as the Q1xx.

Maybe I'll grab a small tank and run a test to see if one heats faster than the other. I can say definitively that there is more/bigger flame with the small tank than the large. Or, I can say definitively that that's my subjective opinion :)

I should run a test and see if that is true or not - maybe I'll run a time to heat test with both options.

Are there any safe mods known to increase the output? Seems like you could throw a higher pressure regulator on there and solve a lot of problems?

I need to take the whole thing apart and give it a good cleaning to start...

Thank you!

It's not a high powered grill. They work fine. In all likelihood your hose is at fault. I have had a few of those hoses go bad and not flow correctly. That goes for the generic as well as Weber branded. Or you can simply hook it straight to the tank no regulator if that's not enough. That should certainly give you enough heat :D

It's not a high powered grill. They work fine. In all likelihood your hose is at fault. I have had a few of those hoses go bad and not flow correctly. That goes for the generic as well as Weber branded. Or you can simply hook it straight to the tank no regulator if that's not enough. That should certainly give you enough heat :D

OK - but stupid question....

Obviously it needs some sort of regulator to be involved (right?!), but what's the difference between a 12,000 BTU burner and a 15,000 BTU burner? Overall burner size, flame hole size, regulator pressure settings?

Real deal grills have flux (btu/sq in) in the 80's, so how do they get that much more heat in the same area?

What's different?

Burner is nothing but a piece of metal tube with holes in it. The REAL control of BTU (amount of gas burned) comes from pressure and flow (orifice size primarily). Odds are your Q220 is perfectly normal. Frankly most cannot tell the difference in output by looking at a flame unless it's really drastic. Heck I can barely tell the difference in my Q220 between low to high by looking at the flame. I have noticed on my own Q a slight (and I mean SLIGHT) difference between using a small cylinder and the hose with a large tank. I have also seen when the hose begins to decay internally (rubber swells) it begins to cause trouble. Up to and including completely restricting gas flow. So KISS it. Do a good cleaning of the burner and spider screen, Make sure all the holes are clear on the burner. They can look clean but some times can have hard carbon in them. Splurge and buy a new hose too. They're cheap and they go bad quickly for some reason. As a last resort order a new regulator from Weber.

Burner is nothing but a piece of metal tube with holes in it. The REAL control of BTU (amount of gas burned) comes from pressure and flow (orifice size primarily). Odds are your Q220 is perfectly normal. Frankly most cannot tell the difference in output by looking at a flame unless it's really drastic. Heck I can barely tell the difference in my Q220 between low to high by looking at the flame. I have noticed on my own Q a slight (and I mean SLIGHT) difference between using a small cylinder and the hose with a large tank. I have also seen when the hose begins to decay internally (rubber swells) it begins to cause trouble. Up to and including completely restricting gas flow. So KISS it. Do a good cleaning of the burner and spider screen, Make sure all the holes are clear on the burner. They can look clean but some times can have hard carbon in them. Splurge and buy a new hose too. They're cheap and they go bad quickly for some reason. As a last resort order a new regulator from Weber.

You calling me stupid right out the gate like that?!?! :)

I hear you. I think my best bet is to start with a good cleaning and replace the hose and, at $25, maybe the burner as well. I've tried to clean the burner previously, and I'm just not sure how ever get the inside clean.

Then I can decide if I want to start messing with the regulator.....

Thank you.

Firstly, just turn the regulator off first and then the tank. You keep emptying the hose which is not ideal. Also make sure you are actually cleaning the holes in the burner. I use a smal drill bit and run it up and down letting the drill clean off all the crud. Or use an oxy acetylene torch tip cleaner as they have edges on the side to clean holes. My q220 has been going since 2006? with no issues. It heats up to 500 in 10 minutes. One thing to watch out for is cross winds. If they are blowing towards the side the q will have a hard time heating up. I just stick a piece of cardboard next to the handle and housing and the temps go back to normal. Not sure why folks can't see the differances in flame as mine is noticeable as I change the regulator settings. And yes, I run a hose to the tank.

You calling me stupid right out the gate like that?!?! :)

I hear you. I think my best bet is to start with a good cleaning and replace the hose and, at $25, maybe the burner as well. I've tried to clean the burner previously, and I'm just not sure how ever get the inside clean.

Then I can decide if I want to start messing with the regulator.....

Thank you.

Nah, all in good fun. Honestly cleaning the burner is easy. The inside does not really get bad either. I use some spray brake cleaner and flush them out with that solvent. It dries with no residue so no worries about off smells coming out. If you have compressed air so much the better.
Mind how you turn the grill on/off when hooked to the big tank too. On ALL grills always turn off the grill itself first then if you wish turn off the tank. Never ther other way around. Try a full "reset". Turn everything off, disconnect the tank, then reconnect. Turn gas valve on s.....l.....o.....w.....l....y, give it a few seconds to fill the hose, turn on the burner and wait about 30 seconds before clicking the ignitor, the grill should light completely (if you get a little "whoosh" so much the better (adds to the excitement). If the thermometer is working correctly you should see about 400 to 500 after a decent warm up time. Honestly I think you may be expecting more of it than it can deliver. I really never see more than 450 or so on mine and frankly it really does a number at that. I usually need to turn it down to med/med_low unless I am doing something like filet mignon cuts which need a very high fast heat and trust me it does as good a job showing 450 on the gauge as as my Genesis B does showing the needle wrapped around. Maybe just pretend you don't have the thermometer

Firstly, just turn the regulator off first and then the tank. You keep emptying the hose which is not ideal. Also make sure you are actually cleaning the holes in the burner. I use a smal drill bit and run it up and down letting the drill clean off all the crud. Or use an oxy acetylene torch tip cleaner as they have edges on the side to clean holes. My q220 has been going since 2006? with no issues. It heats up to 500 in 10 minutes. One thing to watch out for is cross winds. If they are blowing towards the side the q will have a hard time heating up. I just stick a piece of cardboard next to the handle and housing and the temps go back to normal. Not sure why folks can't see the differances in flame as mine is noticeable as I change the regulator settings. And yes, I run a hose to the tank.

I spent quite a chunk of time last night cleaning the individual pin holes out with a thumbtack. There was WAY more blockage than I would have thought - even the holes that looked pretty open had some decent blockage when I pushed the pin in.

I need to go to Home Depot and get the smallest bit I can - even the tiniest in my pack didn't fit into the holes - as a drill would be way more effective.

I agree on apparent flame differences - especially after cleaning the first batch of burner holes, which made a big difference.

Nah, all in good fun. Honestly cleaning the burner is easy. The inside does not really get bad either. I use some spray brake cleaner and flush them out with that solvent. It dries with no residue so no worries about off smells coming out. If you have compressed air so much the better.
Mind how you turn the grill on/off when hooked to the big tank too. On ALL grills always turn off the grill itself first then if you wish turn off the tank. Never ther other way around. Try a full "reset". Turn everything off, disconnect the tank, then reconnect. Turn gas valve on s.....l.....o.....w.....l....y, give it a few seconds to fill the hose, turn on the burner and wait about 30 seconds before clicking the ignitor, the grill should light completely (if you get a little "whoosh" so much the better (adds to the excitement). If the thermometer is working correctly you should see about 400 to 500 after a decent warm up time. Honestly I think you may be expecting more of it than it can deliver. I really never see more than 450 or so on mine and frankly it really does a number at that. I usually need to turn it down to med/med_low unless I am doing something like filet mignon cuts which need a very high fast heat and trust me it does as good a job showing 450 on the gauge as as my Genesis B does showing the needle wrapped around. Maybe just pretend you don't have the thermometer

Replying to both of you on this, as you're both giving the same input on something and I'd like to ask further.

I've read, several times, that leaving the hose full of LP can lead to gumming and clogging the hose up over the long term, especially if not used very often. I use it pretty often during the summer, but much more rarely over the winter.

I honestly have *no* idea whether LP could conceivably, under any circumstances, end up clogging a supply line if allowed to sit in it. None whatsoever, but it at least seems reasonable?

Other than forgetting to turn the grill itself off (and tripping the OPD next time around) what's the potential downside of killing the LP first?

I'm not worried about chasing any particular temp - I just noticed the pretty big difference between using the new Q1000 and my old Q220. I'm going to keep cleaning the burner, and maybe drop the $20 bucks into a new one and see what kind of difference that makes.

Thank you!!!

I don't know if the LP can degrade the hose as I typically disconnect mine after use to make things easier to move since the Q is one of my garage queen grills. The other is my Genesis B and I split use of the tank between them disconnecting each time after use to facilitate putting the grill away

No idea on the degredation. But my hose is like 10 years old and still functioning and it is always full of gas. And again, if you are going to hd, just get a torch tip cleaner. I usually clean the tube holes at least 3 times a year.

OK, I would like some clarification on the consensus for the best way to power up and power down our grills.
To power down:
1. Turn the grill burner knob to off
2. Close the tank knob to "close"
which will leave the hose from the tank pressurized.

To power up:
1. Open the tank knob to "Open"
2. Turn the grill burner knob to Hi/Start
3. Light the gill

Is that the general consensus??? I have always turned the tank off first and let the flames die off and then closed the grill valve/valves. Then to power up I have always Turned on the tank first, then the grill burn knob and then lit it. I do know that if you turn the grill knob on before opening the tank, it often causes the low flame problem. But, I think in the future, I will be turning the grill off before the tank for now on and leave the gas line pressurized.

Yep I think that's the ticket. It seems the Q is VERY sensitive to doing this correctly while some older products not so much if at all

OK, coming back to this after experimenting some this weekend.

I read something on here that definitely helped - when you turn the gas on at the grill, let it run for a few seconds to pressurize the entire burner. Makes lighting much quicker and easier.

Also wanted to post a pic showing the before/after difference of cleaning the pin holes. I was using a thumbtack so it was sloooooow going. I'm going to pick up a torch tip cleaner as George Curtis suggested.

I cleaned the holes starting at the sparker and towards the front of the grill. The difference is pretty drastic and it already heats up faster. I'll keep going, but I want to run a quick timing test before I do.
I'm going to time it from 100 to 400 degrees and then again after I clean everything. Should be interesting....

Gzi3C

OK. Imgur link not working for some reason... Here's the direct link: https://imgur.com/a/Gzi3C

Last edited:
Yep, pretty drastic difference between front and back. Looking forward to your heat time test.

Yeah that flame pattern does not look healthy. One thing for sure. Due to the design of the Q the burner does clog up A LOT and OFTEN. I have to clean mine every few cooks

Back