Picked up a used 14" WSM. DO I need the internal heat shield?

Paul Hendricks

I picked up my first (I can assure you it won't be my last) WSM. It is the 14.5" model.

I got what I feel was a great deal on it. I paid $115 for it. It is in great condition and has no rust. It has the upgraded Cajun Bandit door with the pull and turn latch. The previous owner also added gaskets to the door. It is very tight with hardly any smoke leakage. I have used it several times now with excellent results.

Upon further review, I realize that it did not come with the internal heat shield/grease catcher.

I can buy one for $30ish including shipping. However I was wondering what would happen if I just kept on smoking without it?

I suspect one of its functions is to keep heat from damaging my deck. However when I smoke I place the unit on my Weber performer grill, so I am not too worried about the downward heat. As far as catching grease, the water bowl does a great job.

So other than lowering the downward heat, does it really do anything else that will effect the cook? does anyone think my bowl will rust out prematurely or anything like that?

I would rather not wasted the $30, but at the same time, I would hate to burn out the bottom of my bowl over a measly $30.

So do I buy the heat shield, or do I just keep on trucking?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited:
Keep on truckin! I use my heat shield externally to protect the wood table I set it on. Congrats on a great buy!

Congrats! I do not use the shield when using my 14, though I smoke on a slab. I pulled it out in an effort to see if I could extend smoke times, yet thus far I have not been able to do a long smoke in it like I can on my 18 and 22. So for now I use it when doing something that won't take more than a few hours. Someday, I want to experiment further to see if I can learn to do a shoulder in it without refueling. Perhaps I will need to expand my fuel experience beyond KBB in order for that to happen. The fact that I don't use the shield is not proof that you are safe without it, though.

Last edited:
The early models! 18.5” didn’t come with a heat shield, but it never concerned me as I cook on a concrete slab most of the time. I have a “heat” shield for it, a slightly reformed kettle ash pan that I place in the bottom of the ash bowl. Seems to deflect some of the heat and certainly makes ash cleanup easier!!!

Back