Stainless Steel Performer with non OPD tank

Robert Clark

TVWBB Pro
I picked up a old performer with the non OPD tank.

The tank is full and apparently was never hooked up to the grill.

I got everything hooked up and the propane is coming out too fast so I am assuming the regulator is shot just due to age since it was never used.

I was gonna replace the regulator with the one suggested from Harbor Freight which will still fit the original 5lb air tank.

Im just concerned about the safety of using the tank without the OPD.

I could just go the route of replacing the whole regulator and hose assembly with a current model and use the 1 lb air tanks.

Just looking for some opinions on what others have done.

TIA!

Last edited:
The opd is to avoid overfilling the tank. Don't know if safe to use tank, but I can't think of a reason why not.(but nobody will fill it back up for sure)

I bit the bullet and bought new tank and compatible regulator. It was expensive since non standard tank size.

I don't know anything about this specific tank, but I have heard of people refilling those smaller (green) tanks using a kit from eBay, think around $20 or so? Might be something you could look into...

The opd is to avoid overfilling the tank. Don't know if safe to use tank, but I can't think of a reason why not.(but nobody will fill it back up for sure)

I bit the bullet and bought new tank and compatible regulator. It was expensive since non standard tank size.

Garth,

How much did you have to pay? I picked up a cool blue SS Performer with no tank and, of course, and old regulator. I was thinking about updating like you did until I found out that just the small tanks cost $80!!!! Add a new regulator, and it sure adds up:mad:. I am leaning towards just fixing up the frame and metalwork and using my propane wand torch like I do for my Green Egg.

Jon

Garth,

How much did you have to pay? I picked up a cool blue SS Performer with no tank and, of course, and old regulator. I was thinking about updating like you did until I found out that just the small tanks cost $80!!!! Add a new regulator, and it sure adds up:mad:. I am leaning towards just fixing up the frame and metalwork and using my propane wand torch like I do for my Green Egg.

Jon

What small tank costs $80? Is it a 5# tank? Why do you need a new regulator for a small tank?
I'm asking because I just refilled my 5# tank for my SS performer the other day. I took it to u-haul & they wouldn't refill it (too old: 2003). Wound up at a local gas station that charged a flat rate - same a filling a 30# tank... and they turn a blind eye with the date code.
Sorry, don't mean to hijack, just looking for clarification.

What small tank costs $80? Is it a 5# tank? Why do you need a new regulator for a small tank?
I'm asking because I just refilled my 5# tank for my SS performer the other day. I took it to u-haul & they wouldn't refill it (too old: 2003). Wound up at a local gas station that charged a flat rate - same a filling a 30# tank... and they turn a blind eye with the date code.
Sorry, don't mean to hijack, just looking for clarification.

I will have to look more carefully, but I believe the old regulator on mine has the out date quick connect. Besides being old I don’t think you can even get a tank with that connection filled. You can get a replacement regulator from E-replacement Parts with the modern connection but it costs $105!!! Then the little 5lb tanks go for another $70+ dollars:mad:.

I wonder if you couldn’t use one of those $30 universal regulators, but the for the 5lb tanks there doesn’t seem to be any lower cost options. Apparently they are not that common and there is little competition.

I may do as I have seen some others do and use a full-size tank. Way cheaper and it I will last forever on a single fill.

menards.com has a 5lb propane tank OPD style for $40 + shipping.

Darrel, Thanks very much for the tip. I forget about Menards because we don’t have them here, but I was always impressed with their variety of in stock stuff when I visited my in laws in suburban Chicago. I will check it out!

I will have to look more carefully, but I believe the old regulator on mine has the out date quick connect. Besides being old I don’t think you can even get a tank with that connection filled. You can get a replacement regulator from E-replacement Parts with the modern connection but it costs $105!!! Then the little 5lb tanks go for another $70+ dollars:mad:.

I wonder if you couldn’t use one of those $30 universal regulators, but the for the 5lb tanks there doesn’t seem to be any lower cost options. Apparently they are not that common and there is little competition.

I may do as I have seen some others do and use a full-size tank. Way cheaper and it I will last forever on a single fill.

Thanks for the info. I may wind up going the full size route too.

Back