Which hardwood has the most delicate smoke flavor ( Kiss of Smoke )

BruceS

TVWBB Member
Which hardwood has the most delicate smoke flavor or can provide just a delicate touch or kiss of smoke (Hickory, Oak, Pecan, etc...) that doesn't over power meats and doesn't leave a strong after taste?

Pecan is my go to for milder flavor. My wife doesn't care for much smoke flavor but I can sneak some pecan in there and she is good with it.

I too agree with pecan in terms of its delicate flavor. As an aside, I recently discovered that wood chunks from Fruita Wood are far superior to anything I've bought from Amazon or a local box store.

Typically Fruit woods are milder than Nut woods so you can start there, and if you want just a " kiss of smoke " use a small chunk at first or chips or pellets.

Tim

Totally agree.
I want to meet the person who can honestly identify a wood smoke flavor by the type of wood used.

While I agree it's mostly the amount of wood used. I have to disagree about wood types. While I have never been "tested". I think I would be able to identify hickory. Course I would have to take a test to find out:D
The rest i doub't I could identify.

Totally agree.
I want to meet the person who can honestly identify a wood smoke flavor by the type of wood used.

I think it's more of what we use everyday that distinguishes one variety from another.
Hickory is easy ( what I grew up on and use most of the time) Mesquite is another easy one, very pronounced flavor and one I'm not fond of.
Pecan would be a hard one because it's a cousin of Hickory but milder.
I don't care for Apple, but Sugar Maple, Wild Cherry, Alder and Red and White Oak all have different flavors and smells to me and they all add different coloring to different proteins.
Granted I never noticed much difference using the bagged stuff from HD etc, but once I placed an order from Smokinlicious I could tell because wood with the right moisture content makes all the difference!:wsm:

Tim

I feel it is reasonable to suggest various woods when individuals seek advice concerning mild vs. strong aromas. I do not claim being able to pick them from a lineup.

I feel it is reasonable to suggest various woods when individuals seek advice concerning mild vs. strong aromas. I do not claim being able to pick them from a lineup.

I agree with you B. You and DaveG gave sound advice. This thread got a little sideways and I'm guilty on that. Sorrry to the op.

Tim

My turn for some drivel :rolleyes: I got some free olive wood from the wood shack in California, love the stuff slightly sweet and very mild. Pecan is my second choice. I agree with Bob that I could not really tell for the most part one wood from another except the olive wood it has a distinct aroma easy to identify.
Drivel done, sorry OP.

ok, there is another option. NO wood. Smoke with whole PECANS.
I had received some unshelled pecans and did not relish the idea of learning how to shell them. So I threw them on a charcoal fire and grilled burgers.
Best burgers ever---whole pecan nuts. A sweet smelling smoke!

I love pecans (try them toasted!). There was a walnut tree at my grandma's old house, I remember seeing the nuts on the lawn a few times..........never thought to smoke with them.

Back