Jealous Devil - first cook

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
This charcoal discussion got my interest, so I ordered a bag

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?73426-This-is-why-I-burn-the-Devil

It came enclosed in a box which is great, because it's been raining and it would have been a drag had it got wet. Out of the box

4A398915-9D39-4E01-BAC1-F367C0937423_zpsbpbyp5au.jpg

Looks pretty good

7D953361-EAC5-4B6C-BD0E-8C769B430244_zpstf78qs8a.jpg

I put it in the chimney and gave it a couple minutes on the side burner of the Genny, I then dumped it into the the Akorn Jr

F9D21F81-C764-462D-9386-7ECEB60979B2_zps7fofhe8x.jpg

A bunch of chicken

5E509D51-9CB6-4293-B0B5-E5F89965A395_zpswqwudwu5.jpg

I struggled to get high heat. Perhaps it's because I didn't have enough charcoal, or maybe it wasn't on the burner long enough...I barely got 300, normally that much lump would get me into the 400's

F6CDFB4B-387F-495F-8E04-46C3FAE9722A_zpscw8ehnhb.jpg

It took 45 minutes to cook, normally I would be done < 30 minutes

2505BC77-69C2-47FC-AF76-85B661C1DD1E_zpsylazdhes.jpg

1FFF99F2-CCB1-4CEC-B638-AB75364E989C_zps2ngaoitn.jpg

The charcoal imprinted an amazing flavor. I just couldn't get the heat I expected. Perhaps because this charcoal is more dense than the lump I normally use. It advertises it doesn't pop, and true to the advertisement it didn't. It smelled amazing during the cook, and for chicken cooked < 300 degrees, it really was dang good chicken. Next time, I will get going more and maybe use more (not sure how much I burned, waiting until it goes cold) but if I had to guess, I didn;t have enough.

I'm looking forward to using it correctly, however this was a really good cook considering I didn't get the charcoal to run in what I call the normal range. I'm going to guess, that this charcoal would make for some cook in the WSM for the long runs, I look forward to cooking over it again. Basically I messed this cook up, yet it turned out good

The pieces in the bag look good, Not a bunch of irregular sizes... The picture of the lump in the JR looks like they where barely starting to get going though.

Last edited:
You have a full grate, Chuck. Airflow may not have been sufficient:confused:. I dont know... 14 "cooking diameter seems to be a small for you:).
Nothing less, the chicken looks delicious!!

Price wise, how does it compare to kbb? I've tried all different types of recipes, and cooking styles, but have never given lump a try. I never realized that it could make the food taste better. This may be something worth looking into...
Chicken looked good by the way!
Tim

The picture of the lump in the JR looks like they where barely starting to get going though.
I would agree, I'm hoping that was my problem. I think it takes a bit more to get this charcoal going, I assume because of it's density...?

You have a full grate, Chuck. Airflow may not have been sufficient:confused:. I dont know... 14 "cooking diameter seems to be a small for you:)
I hate to say it, but I really love this lil' BBQ. I'd like to get it's big brother, it's 22" and < $300 USD. I would have to get rid of something (mean ol' bride) and I'm too fond of my other BBQ's, to be rid of one

Price wise, how does it compare to kbb? I've tried all different types of recipes, and cooking styles, but have never given lump a try. I never realized that it could make the food taste better. This may be something worth looking into
Because I'm in kalifornia and it's sold out of kalifornia, I had to pay $4 in sales tax bringing my total to $48 for the 35LBS bag. It is the most expensive charcoal / lump I've used. I never liked Lump until I got my ceramic, and now I'm a huge fan of Lump, one of these days I'll try it in my kettle and see if makes the grade or not. The Jealous Devil put some of the best flavoring I've ever gotten out of charcoal / lump. I'm sure if I get it to perform better, I could get hooked on it

Thanks for the comments guys

That chicken looks great Chuck! I can't get past the price tag on that charcoal. I use lump for certain things, but usually it's for stuff like lighting my offset, and really any lump will do. What I enjoy doing is initially crapping all over something and then later becoming it's biggest fan, so we'll see.

The bird looks great! But what a pitiful little fire for a pyromaniac like you! :p

I agree that's it's probably a combo of too little, not fully lit, and a LOT of food.
I joined the Kamado Guru forum to get a handle on cooking on my PB.
It's seems that most load up more lump than is needed, get it going, then control the heat with the vents.
Once the cook is over shut her down and there will be a good amount of charcoal left for the next cook.

I have a bag of Fornetto Quebracho lump being shipped to my local HD. It's not JD, but should hopefully be similar.
edit, looks like the price went up a little since I ordered it at $24.99, now $26.24.

Last edited:
ChuckO,
Loved reading your review and that you liked the lump. Looking at the pictures I think that you need just a little bit more lump as it is so hard & dense.
And you are right the flavor profile off this lump is outstanding. I get great smoke rings even with out adding wood to the cook.
At this moment we are getting ready to fix some big dino ribs and pork ribs tips. And of course am using Jealous Devil in the Good One Smoker.
Its all guud with the Devil. Keep on Q'n.
Russ

Chuck, you have me wanting to buy one of those little grills. If you keep posting pictures of the food it turns out I'm going to invoice you when I buy it.

The chicken looks great, and I bet it tasted that way too. I'd agree with Bob in that the lump wasn't fully lit, and the amount of chicken made it take longer.

I went to my go-to bbq store today and had at least five people wanting to help me. They are ready for Spring, we're just waiting for the weather to catch up.

Like any other new piece of equipment, there is a learning curve. Looking at that tasty chicken, shouldn't be too long. Nice cook Chuck.

@ $1.30 - $1.50 (35 or 70# buy), I don't think I'll be buying it unless you guys tell me it's worth it. I haven't been too impressed with lump the few times I've tried it but i should probably give it another chance.

Speaking of burning the devil - my cousin's gf (B!*#Z) texted me looking for help "we just bot some furniture and need help moving it". Last time she texted me she said tell (your cousin) it's ON. I ignored her both times, thought about replying my std "who dis, new phone" but SHE HAS GOT TO GO.

The bird looks great! But what a pitiful little fire for a pyromaniac like you! :p

I agree that's it's probably a combo of too little, not fully lit, and a LOT of food.
I joined the Kamado Guru forum to get a handle on cooking on my PB.
It's seems that most load up more lump than is needed, get it going, then control the heat with the vents.
Once the cook is over shut her down and there will be a good amount of charcoal left for the next cook.

I have a bag of Fornetto Quebracho lump being shipped to my local HD. It's not JD, but should hopefully be similar.
edit, looks like the price went up a little since I ordered it at $24.99, now $26.24.

Bob,
How ya doing?
Just for the record, Fornetto Quebracho that you ordered is Jealous Devil. Its just in a different bag. Lucky you.

That chicken sure looks good. Dunno about the pricey lump. Hope you get some good mileage out of it.

Chicken sure looks good Chuck, can't offer any advice I've only cooked with half a bag of lump that came with a used performer I bought a few years back.

Back