Should I keep or flip?

Sam Bee

TVWBB All-Star
Greetings all,

I was able to purchase a Broil King grill (Baron 440, nat. gas 4 burner) at a super low price and was wondering if I should keep it or flip it? If i keep it then I would have to convert it to LP and that's not a problem because I've contacted the company and they've provided the part numbers needed to order for the conversion. This grill retails for about $600 at Lowes and I could easily triple my money if I do decide to flip it. This grill is still made in the USA and I'm hoping that could be a selling point. One thing I noticed is that after posting it for sale on CL last week I've gotten no inquiries about it whereas I flipped a Weber Genesis II E-310 last summer and after posting it on CL I received a lot of inquiries and was able to sell it 2 days after posting it. Not sure if it was the Weber name or the summer weather or a combination of both but I was able to sell that thing fast without the wifey getting on my case. If I keep this Broil King then this will be my 5th outdoor cooking machine because I already have a Genny 1000, Genny II E-310, kettle premium 22.5 and a spitjack (for roasting whole hogs and stuff). Now I know you can't have too many grills but my wife doesn't see it that way and I like sleeping on my bed than on the couch. So should I keep it or flip it? For those of you out there that have Broil King grills or have used one, how do you like it and is it as good or even better than a Weber?

It's about on par with Weber (newer Weber not Weber of old). A good overall product. IIRC the 440 has a rotisserie burner across the back. It's not IR it's conventional. But they work very well and IIRC even have a smoking chip tray above the burner. Thing is that it's not a well known brand like Weber. Weber has spent many years touting their products and great high quality alternative to the very expensive stuff. Now they've become the very expensive low quality stuff. But thanks to marketing hype people who spend the big $$$ don't know it yet. So not really sure what to tell ya there

You sold the Weber because of the name. Weber did and still does have a great reputation over virtually all other main stream grills. A lot of people, myself included, think that Weber is living off reputation alone now and their quality has dipped while a lot of other grill companies are increasing...but there is still a wide gap at this point.

Broil King, Charbroil, Nexgrill, kenmore, etc.... are what most people consider in the "throw away" class. But again, some of those brands are gaining ground fast.

My advice is put it up for sale for what you feel is a good price and if it sells it sells. If not, keep it. Otherwise, maybe clean up one of the webers and sell that to make room for the Broil king.

I hope you can work it out by selling or substitution as Bruce suggests. Happy wife, happy life:rolleyes:! That’s why I am glad my wife seldom ventures out to the far back part of our yard and especially to my “grill shed” where my languishing projects wait for some action. It would not be good if she tallied them all up:(...

Thanks guys, I'll put the Broil King on Offerup and maybe I'll have better luck on that site.

IMO the broil kings are good grills. Definitely a step up from the char broils, kenmores, etc. But they aren't quite in the same class as weber genesis grills. For example all the broil kings I've seen use lower quality stainless that tarnishes and generally looks like hell after a few years.

Hey guys, so I was able to sell the Broil King this past weekend...was able to sell at almost triple what I paid so very very happy wife (LOL). The buyer was pretty happy too because he almost bought the new Weber Spirit II E-210 but didn't because he couldn't justify the price (2 burner for $400). He thinks that's a crazy price for a 2 burner grill and I agree with him. He also didn't like that the Weber was "Made in China" and saw that the BK was made in the USA so that was a good selling point also. All in all it was a good flip.

Yep, does sound like a really good deal Sam. Still not nice enough here to really get my season underway but soon. Supposed to be almost 60 tomorrow, but I am going fishing instead.

Hey guys, so I was able to sell the Broil King this past weekend...was able to sell at almost triple what I paid so very very happy wife (LOL). The buyer was pretty happy too because he almost bought the new Weber Spirit II E-210 but didn't because he couldn't justify the price (2 burner for $400). He thinks that's a crazy price for a 2 burner grill and I agree with him. He also didn't like that the Weber was "Made in China" and saw that the BK was made in the USA so that was a good selling point also. All in all it was a good flip.

Happy wife, Happy Life

Wow! It sounds like the used grill market may be picking up, at least in some parts of the country. I am itching to get some projects done and test the waters here. If I could flip a few half as successfully I would, indeed, have a

Happy Wife, Happy Life:D!

Wow! It sounds like the used grill market may be picking up, at least in some parts of the country. I am itching to get some projects done and test the waters here. If I could flip a few half as successfully I would, indeed, have a

Happy Wife, Happy Life:D!

The Broil King was brand new, in the box and that made it easy to sell.

Back