Apple Cider vrs Apple Juice ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I have a recipe that calls for a mop sauce using apple cider. For some reason, my grocery store has quit stocking cider and now just has juice.

Other than the pulp in the cider, is there any reason I can't substitute juice for cider ?

Never mind, I just found that juice has more sugar than cider and can't sub without modifying the recipe.

Last edited:
Lynn, I usually have both available but I have substituted one for the other many times and it's never been an issue. Also look for no sugar added apple juice, if I can find it I use that.
I get the quart size cider and apple juice and I freeze what I have left over in a muffin tin and then put them in a freezer bag. Then I can just take whatever amount I need out for my next recipe.

Lynn, I usually have both available but I have substituted one for the other many times and it's never been an issue. Also look for no sugar added apple juice, if I can find it I use that.
I get the quart size cider and apple juice and I freeze what I have left over in a muffin tin and then put them in a freezer bag. Then I can just take whatever amount I need out for my next recipe.

I, too, think you can substitute one for the other in a sauce recipe. That said, I don't think there is a comparison in drinking. There's no such thing as leftover cider in our house!

Back